DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   swamp cooler motor problem (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/167556-swamp-cooler-motor-problem.html)

bearmd June 29th 06 02:18 AM

swamp cooler motor problem

I am having a problem with my swamp cooler. Just this season, when
the fan is on "high" (I only have 2 settings), it will all of the
sudden slow down to low (for 5-30 seconds) and then speed back up again

to high. This has never happened before and I have lived in the house
for 3 summers. I do the maintenance myself, but I didn't notice
anything untoward when I was setting up the cooler this spring. It
sounds like it might be the motor and/or bearings? But how do I find
out? And is it easy to replace the motor? Thanks!!

tom June 29th 06 04:15 AM

swamp cooler motor problem

Your motor might be drawing too many amperes, but those motors usually
just die for awhile, 'til the overload circuit cools. If there's an
adjustable pulley on the motor shaft, try to open it up a little. If
this is beyond your ken, go to a hardware store to look at an
adjustable pully. It's got a setscrew that needs to be loosened to turn
the outer bevel of the pulley on its threads, then retightened. Piece
of cake to replace a motor if necessary. You might need a gear puller
to re-use the pulley from the old motor. Love the word "untoward". Tom

Big Al June 29th 06 07:54 AM

swamp cooler motor problem

"bearmd" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am having a problem with my swamp cooler. Just this season, when
the fan is on "high" (I only have 2 settings), it will all of the
sudden slow down to low (for 5-30 seconds) and then speed back up again

to high. This has never happened before and I have lived in the house
for 3 summers. I do the maintenance myself, but I didn't notice
anything untoward when I was setting up the cooler this spring. It
sounds like it might be the motor and/or bearings? But how do I find
out? And is it easy to replace the motor? Thanks!!

Are you sure it not the belt slipping?

Al

Rick W Dye July 15th 19 05:44 PM

swamp cooler motor problem

replying to bearmd, Rick W Dye wrote:
Mine is doing the same thing please let me know if you find out what the cause
is . I replaced the motor but it's still doing the same thing

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...em-123671-.htm

trader_4 July 15th 19 06:21 PM

swamp cooler motor problem

On Monday, July 15, 2019 at 12:44:05 PM UTC-4, Rick W Dye wrote:
replying to bearmd, Rick W Dye wrote:
Mine is doing the same thing please let me know if you find out what the cause
is . I replaced the motor but it's still doing the same thing

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...em-123671-.htm

Put a volt meter on the motor and see what it reads when it does that.
If there is a drop, then monitor the input voltage to the unit. Could
be a voltage drop, could be a relay, could be the controller is hosing
up and commanding it to low.