Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Getting (fish) odor out of cement

I have a freezer in the garage where I had several ziplock bags of fish
filled with water & frozen. I left for the 4 day holiday, and apparently, I
failed to close the freezer door, leaving it open.

Over the 4 days, the bags melted in the heat, and "fish water" ran down the
refridgerator, and had formed a puddle in the concrete around the fridge.

I have used bleach & water, and tried powerwashing the concrete. The smell
is reduced quite a bit, but still noticeable.

Is there anything more which can be done?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:
Is there anything more which can be done?

Have you tried strong detergent? I'm guessing the fish smell is
probably oil-based, and good strong dish soap (maybe straight dawn?) or
some kind of citrus degreaser might help. If household-grade stuff
doesn't work, see if your janitor at work has anything stronger.
Just guessing here - believe it or not, I've never tried to get a fish
smell out of concrete.
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Over the 4 days, the bags melted in the heat, and "fish water" ran down
the refridgerator, and had formed a puddle in the concrete around the
fridge.

go to a pet supply store and get a gallon of enzyme stain remover
like that to remove cat **** smell from carpet. make sure you
get rid of all the bleach residue first. May take two applications,
read label.

lee h

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:
I have a freezer in the garage where I had several ziplock bags of fish
filled with water & frozen. I left for the 4 day holiday, and apparently, I
failed to close the freezer door, leaving it open.

Over the 4 days, the bags melted in the heat, and "fish water" ran down the
refridgerator, and had formed a puddle in the concrete around the fridge.

I have used bleach & water, and tried powerwashing the concrete. The smell
is reduced quite a bit, but still noticeable.

Is there anything more which can be done?

The amines (chemicals) responsible for the fish odor are organic
"bases". So, an acid will neutralize them.

That's why finger bowls at fancy dinners always had a slice of lemon.
Then people found they could tolerate old fish by applying lemon juice.
Now, many just like the taste of lemon on fish.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 5, 2006 at 10:08:38 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
I have a freezer in the garage where I had several ziplock bags of fish
filled with water & frozen. I left for the 4 day holiday, and apparently, I
failed to close the freezer door, leaving it open.

Over the 4 days, the bags melted in the heat, and "fish water" ran down the
refridgerator, and had formed a puddle in the concrete around the fridge.

I have used bleach & water, and tried powerwashing the concrete. The smell
is reduced quite a bit, but still noticeable.

Is there anything more which can be done?

did you ever resolve? We had a similar issue after installing a gorilla garage floor??? UG! Need help

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to aenewhouse, Carol Barnes wrote:
So, if you haven't experienced this, your just guessing, right?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...nt-125453-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to daddyfish24, Carol Barnes wrote:
I didnot resolve the issue.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...nt-125453-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 May 2018 21:14:02 GMT, Carol Barnes
m wrote:

replying to aenewhouse, Carol Barnes wrote:
So, if you haven't experienced this, your just guessing, right?

I have a lot of experience with this. People dump their "fishy"
coolers and chum on the concrete at our boat ramp from time to time.
What I can say is 12 years later the fish smell will certainly be
gone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to gfretwell, Toshi wrote:
Carol, what did you use to get the fish smell out? I spilled some on my garage
floor and bleach didnt seem to help. Thanks!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...nt-125453-.htm

Fire Cement Chris Learmouth UK diy 8 June 15th 06 01:10 AM
Putting cement foundation where there is none lagnaf Home Repair 7 April 4th 06 06:34 PM
Uses for Hydraulic cement... blueman Home Repair 3 November 29th 05 10:37 PM
Cement peeling off problem remedy ( 10 year old house) [email protected] Home Repair 6 October 20th 05 01:16 AM
contact cement question Mike in Mystic Woodworking 16 November 6th 03 06:31 PM