Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff

Default stinky shower drain

I have a weird problem. I have 1 shower drain in the house that smells
like sulfur. No other drains or hot water outlets in the house smell.
Just the one in my shower. It only smells after I have been running
the hot water for about 2-3 minutes. It doesn't smell during the day
or night, but just when the hot water has been recently used, and after
a couple minutes at that. I have tried drano, bleach, and other
cleaners but have no luck.

Any ideas? I appreciate all the help.

Thanks,

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair
Brad

You could be getting sewer gas coming back through the pipe. You could
try and trace the buildings vent pipes and check that that drain line
has a proper vent, and that vent is not plugged.
Brad
Jeff wrote:
I have a weird problem. I have 1 shower drain in the house that smells
like sulfur. No other drains or hot water outlets in the house smell.
Just the one in my shower. It only smells after I have been running
the hot water for about 2-3 minutes. It doesn't smell during the day
or night, but just when the hot water has been recently used, and after
a couple minutes at that. I have tried drano, bleach, and other
cleaners but have no luck.

Any ideas? I appreciate all the help.

Thanks,

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair
Grandpa

Jeff wrote:

I have a weird problem. I have 1 shower drain in the house that smells
like sulfur. No other drains or hot water outlets in the house smell.
Just the one in my shower. It only smells after I have been running
the hot water for about 2-3 minutes. It doesn't smell during the day
or night, but just when the hot water has been recently used, and after
a couple minutes at that. I have tried drano, bleach, and other
cleaners but have no luck.

Any ideas? I appreciate all the help.

Thanks,

Jeff

How does a large quantity of hot water smell? Try filling your washing
machine with hot water, and smell that. If you can smell it then, you
probably have an anode problem in the water heater.
--
Grandpa

What is that dripping from my fingers?
Why it looks like time.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff

Grandpa wrote:
Jeff wrote:

[...]

I can fill the bathtub in the other bathroom on the same floor
(upstairs) and there is no odor. Just in the shower drain.

Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

Jeff wrote:
Grandpa wrote:
Jeff wrote:

[...]

I used to get the same behavior is one shower in a home I used to own.

Two suggestions:

IMO you might have have hair. skin, soap, dirt buildup in the local
drain; trying a plunging the drain

Try this product (also available from ZEP) should be at HD, Ace or
just about any home improvemnt / hardware store. The stuff really
works; I use it a couple of times per year. One container will easily
last more than a year.

http://www.mclendons.com/item.asp?sk...aners&subcat2=

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

it's your water heater see full repair info at:
http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pag...r-heaters.html

Jeff wrote:
I have a weird problem. I have 1 shower drain in the house that smells
like sulfur. No other drains or hot water outlets in the house smell.
Just the one in my shower. It only smells after I have been running
the hot water for about 2-3 minutes. It doesn't smell during the day
or night, but just when the hot water has been recently used, and after
a couple minutes at that. I have tried drano, bleach, and other
cleaners but have no luck.

Any ideas? I appreciate all the help.

Thanks,

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rudy

"Jeff" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a weird problem. I have 1 shower drain in the house that smells
like sulfur. No other drains or hot water outlets in the house smell.
Just the one in my shower. It only smells after I have been running
the hot water for about 2-3 minutes. It doesn't smell during the day
or night, but just when the hot water has been recently used, and after
a couple minutes at that. I have tried drano, bleach, and other
cleaners but have no luck.

Have you removed the actual drain cover or just poured the cleaner down
there ?
If not, pull off the cover and have a look down the drain for globs of hair,
goo etc

Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg Guarino

On 28 Jun 2006 08:26:51 -0700, "Brad" wrote:

You could be getting sewer gas coming back through the pipe. You could
try and trace the buildings vent pipes and check that that drain line
has a proper vent, and that vent is not plugged.
Brad

....because, am I right about this, without proper venting the water
can be sucked out of the trap, allowing sewer gases to escape from the
drain?

Greg Guarino