Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Wally

Default Basement dryer venting problem

I'm trying to install a basement dryer vent and have a logistical
problem that I'm hoping people could help me with.

The house I purchased has the dryer/washer in the basement laundry
room. The basement is completely below ground level. The previous
owners never vented the dryer outside and now I know why. Instead,
they just vented it into the laundry room and placed a stocking over
the end of the dryer hose to catch the lint.

A slate patio butts up right against the house. I measured exactly
where the vent opening would come outside the house if I were to drill
a 4 inch round hole and it would come out an inch or less above the
slate patio - so this is not a viable solution. I should also mention
that there is a window well on the cinder block wall directly behind
the dryer but I do not want to vent out the window into the well as
this would likely over time fill the well walls (more cinder blocks)
with lint and look pretty crappy.

My other alternative is to run an extended length (maybe 15 feet) of 4"
round dryer vent parallel along the floor/wall past the end of the
patio and then out through the wall where there might be perhaps a foot
of clearance off the ground (still not as much as I would like but
better than no clearance).

Are there any other solutions I might investigate? I can't run a
smaller diameter vent because of back pressure issues and such.

I am looking for any/all suggestions/comments.

Thanks!
Walter

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

I have a friend whos entire basement is below grade. They ran the vent
straight out thru the wall and then straight UP to a cap that vents all
around.

thats probably one option, if yo opt fpor the longer run theres a
exhaust booster so you get enough exhaust flow.

shorter runs equal horter drying time,if your dryer is electric you
might be better off keeping it indoors, in the winter the extra
humidity is a side benefit

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Wally" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Then run a rectangular duct vent. As long as the cross sectional area of
the duct and vent is as big or larger than the equivelent dryer hose, it
will be fine. Ample options in transitioning from round to rectangular
along the way.

For a cap, look at parts used to finish off bathroom and or kitchen range
vents. I know they have rectangular caps for kitchen vent hoods.

For 3"duct area= 7 square inches so a 2x6" duct with 12 square inch area
should be fine for even a longer run.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
CDET 14

Wally wrote:
[...]

Most municipal codes require that a dryer vent must terminate to the
exterior of the structure. Those who suggest that the extra humidity
is the reason for interior termination do not understand the fire
hazard issues with this.

A 4" rigid metal pipe is also part of the code. The smaller pipes get
clogged more easily and void dryer warranties. Bigger pipes will not
allow enough force to get the lint out. The 12" clearance off the
ground is also minimum code.

If you use mesh or screen to keep critters out, moniter it for lint
build-up.

Alisa LeSueur
Certified Dryer Exhaust Technician
http://CleanYourOwnDryerVent.com/

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Recently I bought two nice new vent hoods with flapper and screen.

After the screen clogged FAST I removed and tossed them out/

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Tomes

"Wally" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

How about this? Run the rigid 4 inch ducting through the nearby location,
then outside have it make a 90 degree turn upwards for a couple of feet
(above projected snow line) and put a top cap on that.
Tomes - who is not hip on codes but just had this thought....

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
v v is offline

On 26 Jun 2006 12:00:13 -0700, someone wrote:

The house I purchased has the dryer/washer in the basement laundry
room. The basement is completely below ground level. The previous
owners never vented the dryer outside and now I know why.

What are your house's above ground walls made out of?

Run rectangular duct up the wall a couple of feet? Then turn and
terminate outside. No, an actual 4" duct doesn't fit in a "2 x 4"
wall since a "2 x 4" (nominal) is only 1-1/2 x 3-1/2 actual. That's
why I suggested going to rectangular.

If it esthetically feasible to pad out or chase out the wall in that
one small area, then a lot of ducting problems can be saved and a
regular 4" round used. It doesn't take much, just the thickness of
the sheetrock (plus the stud) is enough to fit the duct, and then if
you cover the small area of missing rock with a decoratively edged
cover....

Condenser Dryer Problem - where's the water going jd UK diy 9 March 11th 21 03:40 PM
Washer and Dryer Hookup Questions. phaeton Home Repair 9 May 1st 06 07:09 PM
GE Dryer Problem LCZ Home Repair 6 December 24th 05 02:52 PM
For those of you with garage workshops... pduck Woodworking 39 August 24th 05 05:03 AM