Posted to alt.home.repair
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Default Will alcohol in gasoline screw up my 2-cycle mower?

Peabody ) said...

I have an old 2-cycle Lawn-boy that uses a gas/oil mixture. And I
wondered if the new gas/alcohol blends will cause problems for my
mower. Has anyone seen any information on this point?

Something that I read in the manual of a new lawn mower that my parents
just bought: do not let gas/alcohol blends sit in its tank for extended
periods. I believe that meant more than 30 days.

According to the manual, alcohol in the blend tends to pull moisture
from the air, and in so doing forms corrosive compounds. It recommends
that before putting the lawn mower away, you should actually run it until
its tank is empty.

Other than that, up to 10% ethanol in the mix will work just as well
as pure gasoline.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"I really think Canada should get over to Iraq as quickly as possible"