Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What to do with unused electrical wiring

Hopefully there's a quick and easy answer to my question that I can't
find on the web. I'd like to remove a wall switch controlling a light
in my house (it's a 3-way switch and I decided I don't need this end of
it). My question is what I need to do with the wiring to the switch. It
will still be live because the circuit will still be active. Do I need
to pull it all the out from the electrical breaker box? Or can I just
tape it up, maybe put a plastic wire nut on it and leave it inside the
wall? I have very basic electrical skills (can wire lights, outlets,
etc.) so let me know if this is beyond my expertise. Thanks in advance
for the help.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair
autonut843

Yes, the only thing I'd add though is that as you are selecting the two
wires to wire-nut together, have the remaining switch in what you want
to be the ON position. Otherwise, Murphy's law will kick in and you
will wire nut it so you have to flip the switch DOWN to turn the light
ON and it will drive your wife nuts until you fix that.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hopefully there's a quick and easy answer to my question that I can't
find on the web. I'd like to remove a wall switch controlling a light
in my house (it's a 3-way switch and I decided I don't need this end of
it). My question is what I need to do with the wiring to the switch. It
will still be live because the circuit will still be active. Do I need
to pull it all the out from the electrical breaker box? Or can I just
tape it up, maybe put a plastic wire nut on it and leave it inside the
wall? I have very basic electrical skills (can wire lights, outlets,
etc.) so let me know if this is beyond my expertise. Thanks in advance
for the help.

Best thing to do is leave it alone in case you change your mind or sell the
house and the next owner wants it. I can't think of a singe reason to take
it out even if not used. If your wife has a headache, would you cut your
testicles off because they are not needed right now?

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

snip

If your wife has a headache, would you cut your
testicles off because they are not needed right now?

I hear that's the real reason we invaded Iraq.

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

CJT wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

snip

If your wife has a headache, would you cut your
testicles off because they are not needed right now?

I hear that's the real reason we invaded Iraq.

We don't do things like that. We did cause Sadaam to lose his job, exiled
his family, confiscated his money, evicted him from his homes, killed his
children, and clapped him in a cell. De-testicling him would be excessive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

be aware that codes may require a 3 way switch at that location, like
both top and bottom of stairs.

why remove the switch? it accomplishes nothing but creates a later
problem at home sale time

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker LT

then you'd only have to turn the switch over.

--
Steve Barker

"autonut843" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes, the only thing I'd add though is that as you are selecting the two
wires to wire-nut together, have the remaining switch in what you want
to be the ON position. Otherwise, Murphy's law will kick in and you
will wire nut it so you have to flip the switch DOWN to turn the light
ON and it will drive your wife nuts until you fix that.

Posted to alt.home.repair
~^Johnny^~

On 23 Jun 2006 17:07:05 -0700, "autonut843"
wrote:

Yes, the only thing I'd add though is that as you are selecting the two
wires to wire-nut together, have the remaining switch in what you want
to be the ON position. Otherwise, Murphy's law will kick in and you
will wire nut it so you have to flip the switch DOWN to turn the light
ON and it will drive your wife nuts until you fix that.

Maybe she's Italian. :-)

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
Posted to alt.home.repair
~^Johnny^~

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 00:18:49 GMT, CJT wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

snip

If your wife has a headache, would you cut your
testicles off because they are not needed right now?

I hear that's the real reason we invaded Iraq.

Oil half, two agree.

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
Posted to alt.home.repair
~^Johnny^~

On 23 Jun 2006 20:40:57 -0700, "
wrote:

why remove the switch?

There are several good reasons.

To deny control access in an area, for safety reasons, is one.

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Yeah, but I wouldn't wire nut the two testicles together. That could
hurt. Just cut em off.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
.net...

Best thing to do is leave it alone in case you change your mind or
sell the
house and the next owner wants it. I can't think of a singe reason to
take
it out even if not used. If your wife has a headache, would you cut
your
testicles off because they are not needed right now?

Posted to alt.home.repair

~^Johnny^~ wrote:
On 23 Jun 2006 20:40:57 -0700, "
wrote:

why remove the switch?

There are several good reasons.

To deny control access in an area, for safety reasons, is one.

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

if the area has windows and its daylight it doesnt matter.

if its a public space and someone enters the area and falls you will be
found liable might cost you tons of bucks.

a locked door, a alarm , or other efforts may be a better choice

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

wrote:

Yes, the only thing I'd add though is that as you are selecting the two
wires to wire-nut together, have the remaining switch in what you want
to be the ON position. Otherwise, Murphy's law will kick in and you
will wire nut it so you have to flip the switch DOWN to turn the light
ON and it will drive your wife nuts until you fix that.

Not counting 3-way switches, the major cause of having to put the
switch down to light the room is buying NO and FO switches in the
first place. Be sure to look at your switches before you buy them.

Electrical Wiring Manyuals seniorgeezer Home Repair 6 March 1st 06 08:59 PM
Really dumb question about electrical wiring Neil Ralley Home Repair 8 August 24th 04 07:47 PM
Old electrical wiring to outbuildings Nate Baxley Home Repair 11 July 19th 04 07:53 PM
Electrical wiring inspector? phil UK diy 14 November 25th 03 12:54 AM
Electrical Wiring Grouping Factors in IEE Regs pickerel UK diy 5 July 14th 03 01:26 AM