Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kenmore Elite clothes dryer making clunking sound

Hello,

My parents just bought a washer-dryer set from Sears. The clothes dryer
is a Kenmore Elite model (I don't know if there is a more specific
model #). It works well, but my mom notes that the dryer is making a
clunking sound. She described it as a ticking or clicking sound, but
when I heard it over the phone it sounds deeper than a click or tick.
She says it happens even with the dryer empty. It is not too annoying
to her,but I tell you, it would annoy the heck out of me. Is it
possible that it is the inner drum slightly off center and hitting an
internal part of the dryer?
It is under warranty (obviously). I think she should call Sears and
have them come out and fix it. But if there is a simple adjustment that
could be made, someone please advise me.

Thanks
Mike McWhinney

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom G

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Do you remember "nylon thump" on cars with the old bias ply tires? The drum
in that series dryer rides on four nylon rollers that will develop a flat
spot while sitting..especially if the dryer is not run often. Then when the
drum is rotating, you hear a thump every time the flat spot on the roller
comes around. I believe the user manual refers to this as a "normal" sound
in the troubleshooting section. The sound will usually diminish somewhat as
the dryer warms up and the flat spot rounds out a little. I sold these for
15 years and it was a common complaint. If this is the sound you are
describing and if it doesn't really bother your mother, I wouldn't worry
about it. On the other hand, if the dryer is not level front to back, it is
possible for the drum to ride up against the front or back of the dryer as
it is only supported by those four rollers and could have some run out. It
might be bouncing off the front or back. I would still bet on a flat
roller.

Tom G.