Posted to alt.home.repair
Big Al

Default Repairing a rusted swamp cooler

I have an 8,500 CFM side draft swamp cooler that is rusting out. The bottom
pan has a few rust holes through the sides under the pad frames. I'm going
to try to get a few more years out of it. Any suggestions on what to do with
the pan?

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

i actually don't know anything about this item, they are not generally
used in apartments buffalo ny, but: these thoughts: depending on your
climate and construction of course:
set up a drip collector pan with a drain outside the unit in the event
of a leak to avoid future water damage. like a hot water heater plastic
pan or washing machine plastic pan. find a plastic window box or
planter for inside it? inside it maybe spray some convert spray that is
used on rust, read all of its requirements for use, to give you a
starting place. if the metal pan is removable maybe a sheet metal shop
or auto body shop can patch it or replate it.
can the new self adhesive roofing membrane be used inside the pan
somehow? [i need to lern more about that too!] -bill

Big Al wrote:
I have an 8,500 CFM side draft swamp cooler that is rusting out. The bottom
pan has a few rust holes through the sides under the pad frames. I'm going
to try to get a few more years out of it. Any suggestions on what to do with
the pan?

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

"Big Al" wrote in message
I have an 8,500 CFM side draft swamp cooler that is rusting out. The bottom
pan has a few rust holes through the sides under the pad frames. I'm going
to try to get a few more years out of it. Any suggestions on what to do
with
the pan?

At least put an anode in there to help slow it down. They are available for
around seven bucks from any cooler supplier.

Steve

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair
IBM5081

Is the container in good shape everywhere except in the bottom pan?
Have you considered using something like pop-rivets for a repair?
Cut the pan off, make a replacement pan, attach with pop-rivets to the
existing framework.
Do it this fall after the cooler is no longer in service.

Steve B wrote:
"Big Al" wrote in message
I have an 8,500 CFM side draft swamp cooler that is rusting out. The bottom
pan has a few rust holes through the sides under the pad frames.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The cooler on my mother's house in AZ had the same problem. I advised
her to have her handyman dry it, wire brush/scotchbright it to remove
loose rust and paint, spray it with rust converter to inhibit further
rusting, and then line the entire inside of the pan with fiberglass
mat soaked in resin. There were some smaller rust spots on one of the
panels, and he used the same approach but with spot putty. After he
did all that he repainted it.

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 19:18:11 -0700, "Big Al" wrote:

I have an 8,500 CFM side draft swamp cooler that is rusting out. The bottom
pan has a few rust holes through the sides under the pad frames. I'm going
to try to get a few more years out of it. Any suggestions on what to do with
the pan?

Al

'Hell' is a relative term

Posted to alt.home.repair
Big Al

wrote in message
The cooler on my mother's house in AZ had the same problem. I advised
her to have her handyman dry it, wire brush/scotchbright it to remove
loose rust and paint, spray it with rust converter to inhibit further
rusting, and then line the entire inside of the pan with fiberglass
mat soaked in resin. There were some smaller rust spots on one of the
panels, and he used the same approach but with spot putty. After he
did all that he repainted it.

I did the fiberglass repair to a cooler about 10 years ago. Water from the
pad frames got under the fiberglass and made the problem worse. The lower
edge of the pad frames fit on the upper lip of the pan. If I try to bring
the mat up to the edge the frames will not fit. If I leave the mat 1/4 inch
under the lip of the pan water gets under it. I'm going to try the rust
converter, if I can find it. Home Depot, Lowe's and Ace all have it but only
in aerosol cans. Would be a lot better if I could brush it on. Then I may
try some kind of roof coating with membrane. Or ??? That stuff they sell to
coat coolers, think it's called "Submarine Coat" is a disappointment too.

Thanks for the replies,

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al,

As far as I know the converter only comes in aerosol form. Strange
stuff, but it works. Rather than elastomerized roof coating, I'd use
an epoxy based sealer and/or paint. I think most marine sealants are
epoxy based, not sure about the cooler coatings. Be aware that epoxy
is nearly indestructible, meaning overspray from epoxy-based paint is
there to stay.

Perhaps you could also just use the present pan as a form for a
fiberglass mat replacement, covering it with waxed paper to prevent
adhesion, or perhaps fabricate a new pan from some combination of
sheet metal, rigid plastic, etc. and fiberglass.

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 16:49:08 -0700, "Big Al" wrote:

I did the fiberglass repair to a cooler about 10 years ago. Water from the
pad frames got under the fiberglass and made the problem worse. The lower
edge of the pad frames fit on the upper lip of the pan. If I try to bring
the mat up to the edge the frames will not fit. If I leave the mat 1/4 inch
under the lip of the pan water gets under it. I'm going to try the rust
converter, if I can find it. Home Depot, Lowe's and Ace all have it but only
in aerosol cans. Would be a lot better if I could brush it on. Then I may
try some kind of roof coating with membrane. Or ??? That stuff they sell to
coat coolers, think it's called "Submarine Coat" is a disappointment too.

Thanks for the replies,

Al

'Hell' is a relative term

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

Big Al wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message

... use one that indicates it is a tannic acid (rather than
phosphoric acid).

Phosphoric acid?? That's used in rust removers like Naval Jelly, right? That
would eat up the rest of the cooler

I didn't say _use_ phosphoric acid, I said some rust converters contain
phosphoric acid as an ingredient. The phosphoric acid reacts with iron
and rust (iron oxide) to form a phosphate coating--a corrosion
retarder. In my experience, they're not as effective as the tannic
acid formulations in which the tannic acid reacts with the iron oxide
to convert it to iron tannate (with the blue/black-looking end result).

I don't recall a particular one at the moment but I did run into a case
a number of years ago where a converter didn't last long after use and
did some digging into it. The above is what I found then.

HTH...

Posted to alt.home.repair

These have been some great suggestions. Here's mine:

In some cases you can actually replace the bottom pan. To replace the pan
(bottom), it has to be a replacable pan. To determine if it is, see if it
is bolted to the upright supports. If there are no screws or bolts it is
not replaceable. If there are, then try to find out who the manufacturer
isand contact them for the replacement pan.

If you can't replace the pan you might be able to use a "drop-in" pan
liner. If you can't find a drop-in pan liner from a local store (they are
getting harder to find), try a piece of sheetmetal or rigid fiberglass.
Seal around the edges with a "plumbers epoxy" putty (dries in about 15
minutes). If you put the patch on the inside you will have to clean the
pan where patch edges will be so the epoxy will stick. To cut a hole for
the overflow tube, use a hammer and chisel or screwdriver and punch around
the area where the hole needs to be. Seal this hole with epoxy putty.

You can use the putty for holes in other areas as well. Always clean as
much of the rust away as possable.

Anytime you have rust present, USE AN ANODE!!!! Anodes stop or aleast
slows rust.

To learn more service and repair information on evaporative coolers, visit:
www.easycoolercare.com

Larry Galpin
The Cooler Doctor

Service, Repair & Enhance the Performance of Your Cooler Yourself and Save
$100s Every Year!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"coolerdoctor" wrote in message
news:a7a7822ea21e2d52db0f68f35a4b58b8@homerepairli ve.com...
[...]

My cooler is rusted through on the sides just under the pad frame. It's a
9,000 CFM and I'm going to try to fix it with fiberglass and submarine
sealer. Have you actually used "plumbers epoxy" putty? Over the last 30+
years I've tried all kinds of stuff from roof coatings to water tank sealer.
Nothing seems to last very long.

Al