Well/pump won't hold prime

Old June 22nd 06, 05:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Well/pump won't hold prime

My lawn irrigation system is fed by a well. The pump will not hold a prime
overnight. Works fine once I get it primed, but that's a hassle. A pump
man replaced the check valve but that didn't do the trick. He says the
problem must be in the well pipe and he's pretty much washed his hands of
the problem. He pooh-poohs the idea that the pump itself could have
anything to do with the problem, he says it has to on the well side of the
check valve. Could it be the pump? and if not what would cause the system
to lose its prime?

Please email direct to

Old June 22nd 06, 06:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair

When you say check valve I assume your referring to an above ground
check valve probably somewhere near the pump inlet. If so the problem
is most likely the FOOT valve at the bottom of the well pipe OR there
is a small leak in the pipe somewhere above the foot valve.
I agree that the pump itself is probably ok.

George

Old June 22nd 06, 07:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Gus !

Seen this one.

I take it the check valve is in the inlet between the well and the
pump. There could be a leak in the downpipe between the checkvalve and
the water - ie when the pump is switched off air is sucked in; or the
checkvalve doesn't seal properly - could be a sticky spring or sand in
the water. I don't think the pump is faulty.

Good luck.
DD

Old June 23rd 06, 04:38 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Gus Schick wrote:
My lawn irrigation system is fed by a well. The pump will not hold a prime
overnight. Works fine once I get it primed, but that's a hassle. A pump
man replaced the check valve but that didn't do the trick. He says the
problem must be in the well pipe and he's pretty much washed his hands of
the problem. He pooh-poohs the idea that the pump itself could have
anything to do with the problem, he says it has to on the well side of the
check valve. Could it be the pump? and if not what would cause the system
to lose its prime?

Please email direct to

As others have said. You either have a leaking footvalve or a leak in
the pipe. The bad news is that you will have to pull the pump to fix
it.

Harry K

Old June 23rd 06, 04:39 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Gus Schick wrote:
My lawn irrigation system is fed by a well. The pump will not hold a prime
overnight. Works fine once I get it primed, but that's a hassle. A pump
man replaced the check valve but that didn't do the trick. He says the
problem must be in the well pipe and he's pretty much washed his hands of
the problem. He pooh-poohs the idea that the pump itself could have
anything to do with the problem, he says it has to on the well side of the
check valve. Could it be the pump? and if not what would cause the system
to lose its prime?

Please email direct to

As others have said. It is either a leaking footvalve or a leak in the
well pipe. Bad news is you have to pull all the pipe out of the well
to find/fix it.

Harry K