Posted to alt.home.repair
brazeau6

Default Trane XV90 2 stage furnace - Should I purchase?

Considering an upgrade to the XV90 from the XR90 and my dealer/builder
indicated the Trane would run me about $650 - $150 rebate in WI for net
upgrade of $500. What I am trying to determine is if the upcharge
worth it and at what point would I break even for the $500 based on
savings from motor running constantly vs single stage and what is the
savings in my LP consumption from the gas heated with lower stage
flame. I am total rookie here on furnance but given the mild to harsh
WI winters I want to make a wise decision. I am also getting a 13 SEER
Trane AC unit. Dealer indicated the upgrade in the furnance and combo
with the AC would give me the ability to remove 20% more humidity from
home because of furnace and also said something to that effect in their
marketing brochures. Please help as I need to make a final decision in
next 2 weeks and let the contractor know my decision.

Regards - Brazeau6

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

First off go for the highest efficiency trane makes, isnt that 93% or
so, your overal efficency is the most important number. For a VSDC motor
get the 10 yr warranty, even though the GE motors are redesigned there
is no telling how long they last. VSDC is great but at your electric
rate today you will only likely have a 500$ payback in 6 years and that
is Not running it 24x7. But the extra humidity removal when used
properly, having it kick on low speed will make the VSDC worth it. You
probably need a special humidistat-thermostat to make it run correctly.
Of course electricity is going up everywhere so your overall savings on
a VSDC being 10-25% more efficient make it a smart purchase, as long as
you bought the additional 10 yr warranty, which is often free if you
negotiate

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

I have read humidity removal on low can be double-50% more, a good
thing to have when its not hot inside but humid.