Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie S.

Default Spar Urethane for Pressure treated wood

About a month ago we built a small 8 foot handicap ramp out of pressure
treated plywood. Didn't treat it with anything. We had a lot of rain.
Noticing a long of cracking going on along the vertical plane.

Also made side barriers using plywood. The porous sides face horizontally.
I'm getting a bit of warping already. Need to seal off the top. I have
some door weather strips I'm going to seal off the openings.

Found a can of Minwax Indoor/Outdoor Helmsman Spar Urethane in the cellar.
I was thinking of spraying it over all the surfaces. Probably give it a few
coats. Would this be the way to go or should I apply something else and/or
use a brush?

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

New pressure treated is wet, maybe 40%-50% moisture, wood need below 15%
to varnish. It can take months to dry, the only way to know is buy a
moisture meter. Varnish is not for pressure treated, stain is. Cracking
is normal for pressure treated, but your plywood was a mistake as its
interior grade im sure. Wait till its dry and stain it, forget the
varnish.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No

Charlie S. wrote:
About a month ago we built a small 8 foot handicap ramp out of pressure
treated plywood. Didn't treat it with anything. We had a lot of rain.
Noticing a long of cracking going on along the vertical plane.

Also made side barriers using plywood. The porous sides face horizontally.
I'm getting a bit of warping already. Need to seal off the top. I have
some door weather strips I'm going to seal off the openings.

Found a can of Minwax Indoor/Outdoor Helmsman Spar Urethane in the cellar.
I was thinking of spraying it over all the surfaces. Probably give it a few
coats. Would this be the way to go or should I apply something else and/or
use a brush?

A varnish is no good for a deck. Its a lot of maintenance. Also,
pressure treated lumber is very wet and will crack, split and warp as it
dries. Normally for a deck, once it dries out. We recommend a
penetrating oil like Penofin or Sikkens. Plywood is terrible outside
(Not as bad as particle board) but will de-laminate when it gets wet.
Even "exterior" plywood will do this eventually.

I'm not sure the best think to do for your ply. Replace it with a
suitable material would be best. Aside from that. A good exterior primer
and paint may extend its life the best. For the pressure treated the
sikkens is available as a sold color stain that could be tinted to match
or compliment your color choice for the deck stain.

Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pressure treated wood

Hello I was wondering if anyone would be willing to answer a few
questions in regards to wood choices in home renovations/projects.I am
conducting a market survey in the wood treatment and wood preservation
industry in Europe. I am currently speaking to DIYers/home renovators
and people involved in chosing treated wood for home. My goal is to
understand the customer(end-user) and address the unmet needs of the
consumer. The only requirement is that you must have bought or used
treated wood over the last 3 years. Please email
Thank you!

No wrote:
Charlie S. wrote:
[...]

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita
http://www.x-privat.org/join.php