Posted to alt.home.repair
46erjoe

Default Need advice on "professional" rug cleaning

When we bought our house a few months ago, my wife went through and
cleaned it thoroughly. But she felt it wasn't complete until the rugs
were cleaned. So we called a rug cleaning company we found in the
yellow pages and got a price quote. When they came, they advised that
we get several other features with their service - a deodorizer, a
sanitizer and a soil resistance coating. It ended up costing us twice
what we thought it would.

We are now selling our previous home and we want to get the rugs there
cleaned "professionally" to make the home more presentable.

Two questions: Are all these other "features" really necessary? Did we
get ripped off?

Is there a difference between the companies that use a vacuum hose
attached to their truck and one that just uses the "rug doctor" type
of machine?

I ask this last question because some years ago we called in a cleaner
and they had this huge (and loud) vacuum in their truck with hoses
going into the truck and water input hooked into our spigot. But this
last time around, the guys just came in with one machine that looked
like a big floor vacuum. They sprayed stuff on the rugs and then went
over it with the machine.

What's the best route to go for this next cleaning? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Didn't Consumer Reports magazine
have an article on rug cleaning,
some years back?

I seem to recall,
they recommended buying your own machine,
compared to Professional Cleaners.
You might start your research there.

waterboy

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

46erjoe wrote:
[...]

Actually if they are really rugs and not carpet, I prefer the in plant
cleaning. Far better than what they can do in your home.

Chances are you did not need any of that extra stuff. As for the
different equipment; It is not the size of the equipment or the noise
(Somehow I suspect a selling point of the truck mounted loud equipment is to
advertise the service to your neighbors). The only real thing I would worry
about is the professionalism of the outfit doing the work.

I was a tax auditor and I recall one time in the office of a local
outfit. Listening to the in office talk convinced me that they were the
ones I would use. Clearly the boss insisted that the customer get a good
job with no chance of damage to their property and if there was any kind of
complaint, it was addressed even if it had nothing to do with the cleaning.
More than once I hear "I don't care, if John (the owner) finds out, you
know you will be doing it so go ahead and do it, no charge."

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim McLaughlin

"46erjoe" wrote in message
[...]

The house being sold is empty I right? No furniure in it? Nothing you have
to lift and move?

Buy a good bissell rug shampoer (sp?) cost you maybe 240 bucks tops. Use
it to do all the rugs in the old place two or three times.

Keep it to do your new place and avoid the rip off artists in the
"professional rug cleaning" services.

Do the rugs in your new place yourself maybe 3 - 4 (if you are ambitious,
but at least twice a year) times a year and the'll look great fr years and
years, and the machine will pay for itself in saved fees to the
"professional rug cleanrs".

--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jo Ann

As someone who used to have a terrible wanderlust (well, still does
but is trying to learn not to yield to it every time), I've cleaned
carpet and had carpet cleaned in more rental houses more times than I
can count. In my experience, the person wielding the equipment has
been the biggest variable. I have had both dismal and outstanding
results with people using both truck-mounted and "Rug Doctor" type of
equipment. I've seen my son and his wife make their off-white carpet
look better than any service I've ever hired, with the cheapest rental
unit they could find.

If you were happy with the job you got before, that company is a good
place to start (I probably wouldn't go for the extras -- I have never
thought any of them made a difference). Otherwise, I'd ask around and
see who's happy with their carpet cleaning pros, or decide to put in
the sweat equity and rent/buy a machine.

Incidentally, I've also bought and worn out a couple different carpet
cleaning machines, and I think renting something like a Rug Doctor does
a better job, although the machines are nice to have around for
in-between touch-ups. My best tip for cleaning it yourself is a final
once-over with a bit of vinegar in plain water, to make sure you've
gotten out all the soap.

Jo Ann

Joseph Meehan wrote:
46erjoe wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Let me add, that the magic material used by the professional outfit I
referred to was Ivory snow. Nothing stronger is on the trucks.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit