Posted to alt.home.repair
Phat Phuq

Default Organic buildup in hot water tank

Hi,

My sister in law was complaining about reddish brown water coming out of her
hot water tank and asked me to have a look at it. I naturally assumed that
the liner had cracked and the tank was rusting. However, when I flushed the
tank, I noticed a lot of slimy, orange/red colored scum particles in the
water.

Sis indicated that she doesn't use a lot of hot water and has a 11 year old
40 gal tank which was set to high, so I'm thinking that the built up a layer
of algie and is now starting to let go. I still haven't ruled out a cracked
liner (the algie was reddish orange), but the anode looks like it's doing
it's job properly and the tank isn't leaking yet.

I've turned down the water temp and encouraged the sis to use more hot water
to help keep the buildup down, but my question is, can I use anything to
help clean out the tank? I'm thinking it needs another flushing or two, but
I'd like to get as much of the gunk out as possible.

thx

(:P(:P

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Phat Phuq wrote:
[...]

If her water source is a well, GOOGLE for "Iron bacteria".
It produces a slimy sludge like that.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
Phat Phuq

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
news
Phat Phuq wrote:
[...]

I'm suspecting the bacteria thing is true.
We live in Winnipeg, MB and our water source is Shoal Lake. There is a good
chance of a reasonable amount of iron in the water from feeder pipes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Phat Phuq" wrote in message

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
news
Phat Phuq wrote:
[...]

Most bacteria is killed off by 140 F. turning it down won't help. Maybe
you have some of that stuff they find in hot springs at yellowstone

Since you can get the anode off (wow on an 11 YO tank) I suppose you could
put some bleach in that hole then flush. If the cold water is not
discolored, its not directly from the source

Leak in hot water tank Johnny UK diy 9 April 9th 04 07:28 PM
Thankless or Tankless hot water heaters [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 29th 04 03:01 AM