Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike

Default Taking Down Paneling Then Putting Up 1/2" Drywall need Suggestions for Insulation

Hi, I live in the midatlantic region in a end of group row house.
The first floor walls are covered in paneling. I'm going to take down the
paneling
then install 2"x4" studs then put drywall on top of the studs. What is the
most energy effective
and cost effective insulation?

Thanks,

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

Mike wrote:

Hi, I live in the midatlantic region in a end of group row house.
The first floor walls are covered in paneling. I'm going to take down the
paneling
then install 2"x4" studs then put drywall on top of the studs. What is the
most energy effective
and cost effective insulation?

Thanks,

Mike

New 2x4 studs in front of existing 2x4 studs forming a 7" deep cavity?

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike

Default Taking Down Paneling Then Putting Up1/2" Drywall need Suggesti...

It's a small two story 1,148 sq ft brick end of group row house with double
pane metal frame replacement windows. Construction is brick, lathe &
plaster then paneling. I'm going to remove the paneling, insulate then
install dry wall. In 1999 the local utility companies were "allowed" to
deregulate beginning July 1 of this year. Electricity rates were capped at
5.9 kwh with a delivery charge about equal to the cost of electricity. I'm
on the budget plan - $89.90 a month for gas and electricty . The only gas
appliances in the house are water heater and gas stove. Air conditioning by
high efficiency GE window air conditioners and heat is by baseboard electric
heaters w/ each room having a thermostat for that room.

Mike

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Foam sprayed in of R7 per inch is the most effective, there are foams
of R5" and R 4". It is cost effective if you plan on staying there,
want higher resale and understand energy costs are going up fast. 2x4
construction just does not allow the room for optimal insulation
numbers, which are R40 for walls, but mid Atlantic region tells me
nothing of your true climate and energy costs. Try www.energystar.gov