Posted to alt.home.repair

Default thinning two part epoxy?

I have a small project that needs epoxy to bond one section.
Unfortunately, the area where the epoxy needs applies is narrow. The
last time I tried it, I attempted using a cut off syringe, like
diabetics use, except the needle was cut off and the cylinder cut away
until is was maybe 1/8 to 1/4" thick. Unfortunately, I was not able to
draw any of the mixed "5 minute" two part epoxy into the syringe as it
was too thick.

The epoxy I'm using is just the small, twin cylinder type that premixes
in either a small tray as part of the package or in something else. I'm
just wondering what I can do to lessen the viscosity without
compromising strength or other properties when dried. I was just
thinking of putting the package under a heat lamp set at like 110 F for
a couple of hours. Thoughts and experiences welcome and thanks in
advance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/17/2021 1:06 PM, JB Haskins wrote:
I have a small project that needs epoxy to bond one section.
Unfortunately, the area where the epoxy needs applies is narrow.Â* The
last time I tried it, I attempted using a cut off syringe, like
diabetics use, except the needle was cut off and the cylinder cut away
until is was maybe 1/8 to 1/4" thick.Â* Unfortunately, I was not able to
draw any of the mixed "5 minute" two part epoxy into the syringe as it
was too thick.

The epoxy I'm using is just the small, twin cylinder type that premixes
in either a small tray as part of the package or in something else.Â* I'm
just wondering what I can do to lessen the viscosity without
compromising strength or other properties when dried.Â* I was just
thinking of putting the package under a heat lamp set at like 110 F for
a couple of hours.Â* Thoughts and experiences welcome and thanks in advance.

Not knowing what the area look like I might try pushing it into the
opening with something like a tooth pick. Warming may lower viscosity
but heat will accelerate set and only having 5 minutes it might set much
faster. There are epoxies that take high temperature cures but I don't
see them for general market. If you use a longer cure mix you might get
away with higher temperature.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 1:06:22 PM UTC-5, JB Haskins wrote:
[...]

I looked into this some time ago. The answer is that you can thin it,
I think acetone, toluene, and similar could be used. But the trade off
is that it does lessen the strength and the more solvent you add, the
more it lessens the strength. I'm sure if you google for thinning epoxy
you will find similar and figure out how it applies to your application.

It's not like semiconductors where you get smaller die size, lower cost,
lower power consumed, faster speed as you mover to smaller feature size.
That process seems to be unique. Usually it's better, faster, cheaper,
pick any two.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 13:06:15 -0500, JB Haskins
wrote:

[...]

For a small project - requiring only a few drops of glue -
I've used a scrap of plastic - cut from a margerine lid -
and used it to spread the glue into the small crack -
after placing drops of glue along the opening.
Perhaps a dental syringe - loaded from the top -
rather than trying to suck up the glue .. ?
https://tinyurl.com/4mlvy3yu
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/17/2021 10:06 AM, JB Haskins wrote:
I have a small project that needs epoxy to bond one section.
Unfortunately, the area where the epoxy needs applies is narrow.Â* The
last time I tried it, I attempted using a cut off syringe, like
diabetics use, except the needle was cut off and the cylinder cut away
until is was maybe 1/8 to 1/4" thick.Â* Unfortunately, I was not able to
draw any of the mixed "5 minute" two part epoxy into the syringe as it
was too thick.

The epoxy I'm using is just the small, twin cylinder type that premixes
in either a small tray as part of the package or in something else.Â* I'm
just wondering what I can do to lessen the viscosity without
compromising strength or other properties when dried.Â* I was just
thinking of putting the package under a heat lamp set at like 110 F for
a couple of hours.Â* Thoughts and experiences welcome and thanks in advance.

There are thinner epoxies intended for "coating" that would probably
work, but AFAIN they are not available in tiny quantities. It it a
material than superglue might work for?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 17 Feb 2021 11:13:04 -0800, Bob F
wrote:

On 2/17/2021 10:06 AM, JB Haskins wrote:
I have a small project that needs epoxy to bond one section.
Unfortunately, the area where the epoxy needs applies is narrow.* The
last time I tried it, I attempted using a cut off syringe, like
diabetics use, except the needle was cut off and the cylinder cut away
until is was maybe 1/8 to 1/4" thick.* Unfortunately, I was not able to
draw any of the mixed "5 minute" two part epoxy into the syringe as it
was too thick.

What hubops said. Mix it on a piece of glossy cardboard and spread it
on with a piece of plastic or a popsicle/corn dog stick, or a toothpick.

The epoxy I'm using is just the small, twin cylinder type that premixes
in either a small tray as part of the package or in something else.* I'm
just wondering what I can do to lessen the viscosity without
compromising strength or other properties when dried.* I was just
thinking of putting the package under a heat lamp set at like 110 F for
a couple of hours.*

That seems like a really bad idea to me. I love glue. I used to have
17 kinds, one for every purpose (but now I sit at the computer and the
glue dries out. )

They used to sell at the store iirc 1-minute, 5-minute, and 30 minute
epoxy. One-minute requires real speed but has its uses. I mostly
bought 5-minute (which I could hold in my hand until it set, if clamping
was difficult) and maybe so many people did that they stopped selling 30
minute.

Thoughts and experiences welcome and thanks in advance.

There are thinner epoxies intended for "coating" that would probably
work, but AFAIN they are not available in tiny quantities. It it a
material than superglue might work for?

I've tried superglue several times and it never works for me. It
doesn't even stick to my hands. ;-(

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It has worked for me, particularly with metal frame sunnys where the
lens kept popping out, cheap chinese prescription sunnys from Zenni.

But you have to be careful not to get it on your finger and then
the body of the lens coz the sunnys are useless then.

It doesn't even stick to my hands. ;-(

You must be buying the **** superglue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/17/2021 11:06 AM, JB Haskins wrote:
I have a small project that needs epoxy to bond one section.
Unfortunately, the area where the epoxy needs applies is narrow. The
last time I tried it, I attempted using a cut off syringe, like
diabetics use, except the needle was cut off and the cylinder cut away
until is was maybe 1/8 to 1/4" thick. Unfortunately, I was not able to
draw any of the mixed "5 minute" two part epoxy into the syringe as it
was too thick.

The epoxy I'm using is just the small, twin cylinder type that premixes
in either a small tray as part of the package or in something else. I'm
just wondering what I can do to lessen the viscosity without
compromising strength or other properties when dried. I was just
thinking of putting the package under a heat lamp set at like 110 F for
a couple of hours. Thoughts and experiences welcome and thanks in advance.

How much strength do you need? Acetone will thin it but is going to
affect the strength and curing time. Another option might be pourable
epoxy. Hobby shops generally have it in small quantities for decoupage
projects.

Heating may be the best idea if you're fast. From the description you're
not going to be using enough volume where the exotherm will be a problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I never had any luck with "supergle" but there is a calle "la-gle" I
have ha lick wih - a well as a product from Beta sold by Toolway that
has a high viscosity "crazy glue" and a promer or accellerator - spray
one surface - glue the other - and it is DONE!! really sticks he
fingers too- - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I bought some epoxy that was specially for adhering rear-view mirrors to windshields of cars,
and it turned out to be very thin.

--
croy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 21:48:31 -0800, croy
wrote:

[...]

Never had any luck with the epoxy for that. Thick cyanoacrilate with
primer has worked for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Ace sells some in 2 bottles that makes about 6-7 oz total. It is about
as thick as maple syrup and does a pretty good job of penetrating
cracks if you work it in with a plastic putty knife. Sometimes I will
use a mix of thick and thin epoxy, using the thin to coat everything
and adding the thicker stuff, even the paste to build up the area.
I have fixed those carbon fiber radiator end caps in two cars doing
that and using a couple layers of aluminum window screen to give it
tensile strength. It lasted years until I got rid of the cars.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I used rear view mirror glue and it only lasted a few days the first
time. I did it again and it lasted for years, forever.

Then I think a second car had a problem and I found a glue packaged like
the rear view mirror glue (in a capsule?) except you got two capsules
for what one cost if it was labeled rear view mirror. That worked the
first time I think.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 18 Feb 2021 09:59:45 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I've tried superglue several times and it never works for me. It
doesn't even stick to my hands. ;-(

I never had any luck with "supergle" but there is a calle "la-gle" I
have ha lick wih - a well as a product from Beta sold by Toolway that
has a high viscosity "crazy glue" and a promer or accellerator - spray
one surface - glue the other - and it is DONE!! really sticks he
fingers too- - - -

I have never tried it,but on TV they advertise some glue that uses UV
light to make it 'stick'. I think that some dentists use that type at
times. That might be worth trying.

My previous dentist has done that a few times. I forget why, where, and
when.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 17 Feb 2021 13:06:15 -0500, JB Haskins
wrote:

[...]

I still don't fully appreciate your problem but I'll also recommend
PC-70, which is grey, and a simlar product which is white.

They are not thin at all but they are like modelling clay and once
mixed, maybe you can forced it in your crack with a spatula of some
sort.

They stick ot anything, even glass apparently, and I first used it to
patch a drain while the faucent was dripping. The mixed glue kept
droopin down as the water hit it but I kept pushing it up and after a
few minutes it set and the drain didn't leak!!

Two four ounce cans seems the best size. If you're careful to never let
one can's stuff touch the other can's, it lasts for years, maybe
forever.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 09:59:45 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I've tried superglue several times and it never works for me. It
doesn't even stick to my hands. ;-(

I never had any luck with "supergle" but there is a calle "la-gle" I
have ha lick wih - a well as a product from Beta sold by Toolway that
has a high viscosity "crazy glue" and a promer or accellerator - spray
one surface - glue the other - and it is DONE!! really sticks he
fingers too- - - -

I have never tried it,but on TV they advertise some glue that uses UV
light to make it 'stick'. I think that some dentists use that type at
times. That might be worth trying.

Sounds good, but in practice it's a bit different - I've got some -
both the "pen" style afvertized on late night TV and industrial stuff
from Kafuter. Needs a pretty strong UV light to cure it - and at least
one side pretty much needs to be transparent and not UV Opaque