Posted to alt.home.repair
46erjoe

Default Hanging sheetrock - horizontal or vertical

I've just finished framing out my basement to double our living
space. It's new construction with just a large poured rectangular
concrete floor between cinder block foundation walls.

The walls turn out to be just shy of 8' from floor to ceiling. I plan
to put in a suspended ceiling later so as to be able to get to all the
wiring/plumbing if necessary in the future.

My question is: Should I hang the sheet rock vertically or
horizontally? I've been careful to make sure that all the studs are
exactly 16" on center. I've heard that horizontally produces fewer
joints, but that also produces those nasty hard to hide 4' butt
joints. If I hung vertically, every joint would be flush.

Many of the walls are longer than 12', and since it's just me doing
the work, I don't think I have the strength to handle sheets that big.

I'm planning on doing the hanging and then bringing in a pro to do the
mudwork.

Related question: Should I hang the sheetrock a smidge - maybe a
half-inch off the (concrete) floor, just in case of water leakage?

Would horizontally hung sheetrock make for a stronger wall?

Any other tips?
Posted to alt.home.repair
badgolferman

46erjoe, 6/20/2006, 9:27:09 AM,
wrote:

Related question: Should I hang the sheetrock a smidge - maybe a
half-inch off the (concrete) floor, just in case of water leakage?

This is one reason to hang the sheetrock horizontally. When I went to
Mississippi to help with Katrina rebuilding I was taught to hang it
that way in case there is more flooding. That way only the bottom
wallboard must be replaced.

If you put up chair railing at the four foot seam you can easily hide
that joint also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
No

46erjoe wrote:
[...]

I like horizontal with as long of sheets as possible. That gives you
fewest seams. As for the but seams your finish guy will have no issues
with that. yes, i would leave a little space at the floor.

I woudl also consider drywalling the ceiling! Here are my reasons.

1) Its cheaper than suspended.
2) It looks a lot nicer
3) it gives you more head room

My counter to the usual reasons someone want to do suspended

Gain access to plumbing and electrical
- The reality for most is they will never need to gain access or if they
do, its only occasionally. Of course in a drywalled ceiling you will put
access panels for your shut-off valves, hvac dampers and such. If you
need access somewhere else you cut a hole and then patch it. You are
still ahead of the cost game in a significant way.

Faster to install
Sort of - Yea, you can be finished in a day where Sheetrock takes time
between coats of mud. A good drywall crew can finish a ceiling in total
hours less time than can a suspended ceiling crew.

What if I need to run wires?
How often do you run wires? Run any before you finish the ceiling. What
would you do elsewhere in your house if you needed to run wires? Put in
conduits if you need to.

good luck

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

46erjoe wrote:

I'm planning on doing the hanging (sheetrock) and then bringing in a pro to do the
mudwork.

Check with your pro first. Drywall finishers sometimes charge more to
do only mudwork than they would if they hung the sheets and did the
mudwork. Reason being that they will probably have more mudwork to do
than if they hung it.

Finishing drywall is not that difficult if you are not in a rush. Use
lots of thin coats and a broad knife. Check through this informative
site.

http://www.drywallschool.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair
trbo20

46erjoe wrote:
[...]

The problem I have with horizontal sheets is toeing the screws in at
the ends. Since the edge isn't wrapped, the gypsum tends to crack out
on me and I loose the hold. This probably isn't an issue for someone
experienced, but it kicks my butt.

As for the second part of your question, yes, definitely elevate the
sheets a bit. Drywall will wick moisture. I've also heard to
provide a slight gap between the sheets for expansion. I use a few
pennies and some scotch tape for that.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 13:27:09 GMT, 46erjoe
wrote:

I've just finished framing out my basement to double our living
space. It's new construction with just a large poured rectangular
concrete floor between cinder block foundation walls.

The walls turn out to be just shy of 8' from floor to ceiling. I plan
to put in a suspended ceiling later so as to be able to get to all the
wiring/plumbing if necessary in the future.

My question is: Should I hang the sheet rock vertically or
horizontally? I've been careful to make sure that all the studs are
exactly 16" on center. I've heard that horizontally produces fewer
joints, but that also produces those nasty hard to hide 4' butt
joints. If I hung vertically, every joint would be flush.

Either way works. I hung mine vertically. The fewer seams, the
better.

Many of the walls are longer than 12', and since it's just me doing
the work, I don't think I have the strength to handle sheets that big.

Moving a large sheet can be cumbersome without a buddy.

I'm planning on doing the hanging and then bringing in a pro to do the
mudwork.

Related question: Should I hang the sheetrock a smidge - maybe a
half-inch off the (concrete) floor, just in case of water leakage?

That's the proper procedure.

Would horizontally hung sheetrock make for a stronger wall?

No.

Any other tips?

Use screws, not nails. Do not butt the sheets against a window or
door, rather make cutouts in the drywall.
Posted to alt.home.repair
46erjoe

On 20 Jun 2006 15:57:07 +0200, No wrotF:

46erjoe wrote:
[...]

I plan on installing the suspended ceiling myself. I've done it before
in another home and it looked good. I have to do it anyway because the
builder did not hide the plumbing inside the first floor
floor-trusses. He just hung them on the bottoms. (Duh!). The wiring
though is routed within the truss criss-crosses. So I would have to
layer down the joists with 2 x 4s to create a flat surface for ceiling
sheetrock which would take away from the height. So I figure I
wouldn't be losing a whole lot by going with suspended ceiling.
Besides, I really suck at cutting holes in sheetrock for ceiling
fixtures. Inevitably they're a few inches off.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Phisherman" wrote in message

Either way works. I hung mine vertically. The fewer seams, the
better.

How does that happen. If you have a wall that is 32' long, I come up with
56 feet of seam to tape, not counting corners, top or bottom as that would
be the same.

Posted to alt.home.repair
yourname

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Phisherman" wrote in message

Either way works. I hung mine vertically. The fewer seams, the
better.

How does that happen. If you have a wall that is 32' long, I come up with
56 feet of seam to tape, not counting corners, top or bottom as that would
be the same.

Actually I count 60 for horizontal hung, since you need to split one
sheet or you will have vertical butt seams 8 ft high, which will show
and will probably crack; 28 feet of that is butt seams. Pros will buy
12 foot sheets to minimize butts, since most rooms are under 12 feet[in
one dimension] in a regular house. Butt joints will show unless you are
really good, so I would go vertical, and I did.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sheetrock / drywall butt joints are easy to take care of.

Just chamfer the edges of the two sheets coming together taking about
1/8" off the corners. When the two sheets go together the chamfered
edges will form a v-shaped groove that can be filled and smoothed out
with mud.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin

wrote:

[...]

A recent issue of the Journal of Light Construction (IIRC) showed a
novel way to deal with butt seams in drywall. (was for ceiling, but
would work just as well on walls). Instead of having the joint fall
over a joist (or stud) it was arranged to fall between joists. The
joint was backed up with a special board. The board looked to be
about a 1x6 as long as the joint. It had very slight ridges on each
edge. (looking at the end it would have a *very* shallow and wide U
shape.) When the two edges of the drywall were screwed to this board,
the slight depression in the center caused by the ridges would cause
the last couple of inches of the drywall to bend just enough to
provide a recessed area for the tape and mud. The pro writing the
article claimed this allowed him to product perfectly flat joints that
don't show even when viewed from a long angle.

It was a commercial product, but it would be pretty easy to make a
bunch with a table saw and dado blade.

FWIW,

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Phisherman" wrote in message

Either way works. I hung mine vertically. The fewer seams, the
better.

How does that happen. If you have a wall that is 32' long, I come up with
56 feet of seam to tape, not counting corners, top or bottom as that would
be the same.

Edwin-

Thanks for saving me doing th calc....I thought ti would make no
difference

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

wrote:

[...]

Paul-

That was a good point. When install horizontal the sheet edges at mid
wall height are unsupported (unless blocks are installed).

Depending on how the room is used these unblocked seams can be broken
free it bumped with sufficient force.

I'd go vertical, if the basement ever flood one can always cut the
drywall off at flood height plus some extra.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

RayV wrote:

Check with your pro first. Drywall finishers sometimes charge more to
do only mudwork than they would if they hung the sheets and did the
mudwork. Reason being that they will probably have more mudwork to do
than if they hung it.

Good advice. When I was building my cabin I was going to hang the
sheetrock myself and hire a finisher to complete the job. When I
talked to the finisher I found out that he could do the entire job
cheaper than what I was going to pay for the sheetrock. They buy in
bulk at cheaper prices plus have leftover material from other jobs. So
the material was much less than what I would have paid, plus he let a
finisher in need of extra cash do it in his off time at a savings to me
also.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ben Phlat

wrote:

Moving a large sheet can be cumbersome without a buddy.

Can be cumbersome with a buddy also. When I was building
I had 242 12' sheets delivered and with 4 of us and a forklift
to get it near the door it still bout killed us.

--Ben