Posted to alt.home.repair
I Love Lucy

Default Now it's garage windows, $150 each for 3 pane X 2 pane? Also thresholds

If it were a new garage, maybe I could see it, but all I need are two
replacement wood windows with 3 panes across, 2 panes down If they
haven't started them, I'm going to cancel my order. I know everything
has gone up, but that is too much for an older one-car small garage imo.

For no larger than they are, it is not unrealistic to mail order them if
I could find decent quality ones at a more reasonable price, including
shipping. Will check Menard's tomorrow. Used ones in good condition
would be ok, but if they have to be cut down very much at all, there
won't be a nice border and you'd have to hunt high and low to find
those. I do prefer the bare wood and paint them to keep with the
overall character of the rest of things, like I don't want plastic
coated windows.

Measuring from the outside (can't get to one inside right now), they are
30-1/4" wide and 27-3/8" high, would have to allow extra on both sides
for framing, don't know if I can use what's there or not and don't know
how it's done anyway, was going to hire a carpenter for that and other
work.

What I would like is to buy some hinges and get them installed (I could
do part of this myself) like they were originally or at least are in my
attic, a sash lock on top and hinges on the bottom with two chains on
each side to keep them from slamming down too fast, hitting the side,
and breakage when you open them. I noticed that the garage windows down
the alley are installed that way when I stopped in at a garage sale last
week.

I guess while I'm at it here, I also would need two thresholds replaced.
One rotted including the trim underneath and has disappeared; the other
is still there but loose, at least that one I could use to find the
right size or for a pattern.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? I really appreciate any help because
I am stymied. Was thinking of looking to places in smaller towns where
maybe they don't charge so much for stuff as I live in a large area with
a lot of new building going on.

I was going to go with it and just suck it up, but they quoted me $100
to cut down my steel clad wood core door on the phone (I explained
explicitly what I needed and the composition of the door) and now that
they have my door, they tell me it is $200. I ask if we can compromise
at $150, no deal. The door is not worth it to me to spend another
hundred on, better off to get a new door even though I know that will be
more. The older door was a good quality one when I had it put in years
ago and I still like it; it has diamond panes in the top, but there is
some rusting. I could probably clean that off with a wire brush and
steel wool and prime then paint.

Now this is a regular millwork place. They are telling me that I need 3
inches cut off the door. That makes absolutely no sense as a plumber
who kindly gave me some help with getting the door off (long story,
won't go into what happened) and I figured about 3/8 inch because all I
need is for it to clear some underlayment and linoleum that was laid
after the door was installed. The door was dragging and had gotten so
bad I wrenched my shoulder once trying to get it open and have chopped
off part of the floor (that needs replacing one of these days, too) in
order to do that but I can live with that (the bad flooring) right now.
You have to yank up on it and then forward, and on hot, sticky days it
is almost impossible to open at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair
I Love Lucy

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
ink.net...

I guess after talking to Menard's, $150 isn't too bad a price for
replacement windows, so I'm just going to have to live with it. I will
get the work done and paid for then it will sit there until I find
enough money to pay a carpenter.

I took on too many things at once because I wanted to get a certain
amount of repairs done this year, the rest will have to wait.