Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Gavin

Default Propane tank question

I've got a 500 gal tank. How do you determine how many gallons are currently
in the tank?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
lp13-30

Does the tank have a guage? If so, it should show percentage of 500 gal
that is in the tank. So, 50%=250 gal, 10%=50 gal, etc. The guage is
probably not super accurate, so it is only going to be approx

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

Kurt Gavin wrote:

I've got a 500 gal tank. How do you determine how many gallons are currently
in the tank?

Thanks

Accurately - weigh it and compare to the tare weight that should
hopefully be listed on the tank data plate.

Roughly, get one of those liquid crystal stick on propane tank gauge
things and keep moving it down the side of the tank (doing the hot water
thing) until you find the LP level. You'll have to watch extra closely
since the tank wall will be thicker than the wall on a 20# tank. Just
remember that other than the half full point, the scale is not linear
due to the cylindrical shape of the tank.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Pete C." wrote in message
Kurt Gavin wrote:

I've got a 500 gal tank. How do you determine how many gallons are
currently
in the tank?

Thanks

Accurately - weigh it and compare to the tare weight that should
hopefully be listed on the tank data plate.

How do ypu propose lifting the 500 gallon tank onto a scale?

Roughly, get one of those liquid crystal stick on propane tank gauge
things and keep moving it down the side of the tank (doing the hot water
thing) until you find the LP level. You'll have to watch extra closely
since the tank wall will be thicker than the wall on a 20# tank. Just
remember that other than the half full point, the scale is not linear
due to the cylindrical shape of the tank.

For those to work, the gas has to be siphoning off to create the temperature
differential. I think you'd have to be using a lot of gas to make it read.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
Kurt Gavin wrote:

I've got a 500 gal tank. How do you determine how many gallons are
currently
in the tank?

Thanks

Accurately - weigh it and compare to the tare weight that should
hopefully be listed on the tank data plate.

How do ypu propose lifting the 500 gallon tank onto a scale?

Forklift? Crane? I didn't say it was very practical, only accurate.

Roughly, get one of those liquid crystal stick on propane tank gauge
things and keep moving it down the side of the tank (doing the hot water
thing) until you find the LP level. You'll have to watch extra closely
since the tank wall will be thicker than the wall on a 20# tank. Just
remember that other than the half full point, the scale is not linear
due to the cylindrical shape of the tank.

For those to work, the gas has to be siphoning off to create the temperature
differential. I think you'd have to be using a lot of gas to make it read.

I don't think so, the rate of heat loss will be different above and
below the liquid line and should show that differential as that tank
cools from the hot water application.

Pete C.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

Toller wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
.com...

"Pete C." wrote in message
Kurt Gavin wrote:

I've got a 500 gal tank. How do you determine how many gallons are
currently
in the tank?

Thanks

Accurately - weigh it and compare to the tare weight that should
hopefully be listed on the tank data plate.

How do ypu propose lifting the 500 gallon tank onto a scale?

verrrry carefully

You don't need to lift it very high. With a crane scale attached to the
crane or forklift you only need to get the tank off the ground, 1/4"
would be enough.

Actually I expect that a standard floor jack and a set of electronic
scales as used for race cars would do nicely. You'd only need to lift
each end of the tank a few inches to slip the scales under the feet.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair
jerryl

Kurt Gavin wrote:

I've got a 500 gal tank. How do you determine how many gallons are
currently
in the tank?

Thanks

Why not call your propane dealer for a 'fill up'. After he gives you the
bill for how many gallons he pumped into the tank, you'll then know exactly
how much was in the tank before he filled it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Gavin

"jerryl" wrote in message
. ..

Kurt Gavin wrote:

I've got a 500 gal tank. How do you determine how many gallons are
currently
in the tank?

Thanks

Why not call your propane dealer for a 'fill up'. After he gives you the
bill for how many gallons he pumped into the tank, you'll then know
exactly how much was in the tank before he filled it.

I might be doing a deal in which I buy the amount of propane currently in
the tank. I need a way to verify.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 18:03:57 GMT, "Kurt Gavin"
wrote:

"jerryl" wrote in message

Kurt Gavin wrote:

I've got a 500 gal tank. How do you determine how many gallons are
currently
in the tank?

Thanks

Why not call your propane dealer for a 'fill up'. After he gives you the
bill for how many gallons he pumped into the tank, you'll then know
exactly how much was in the tank before he filled it.

I might be doing a deal in which I buy the amount of propane currently in
the tank. I need a way to verify.

That would still work. The buyer or the seller can fill up the tank,
then you can reimburse the seller if he paid for the fillup, and take
possession of all of it.

You'r e buying the house next to it, yes? If you are just out there
buying propane as a business, you should probably find another guy who
does this and learn all the details.

Posted to alt.home.repair
lp13-30

You (OP) are the one who asked about buying your tank from the
supplier, rather than have the propane metered out and billed monthly. I
agree that the thing to do is have the supplier fill it up, then pay
them for 400 gallons. Note: 400 gallons is not a mistake-- propane tanks
are filled to 80% of capacity to allow for expansion, thus a properly
filled 500 gallon tank will hold 400. Also. now (summer) is the time to
do this as the price is usually at it's lowest this time of year. Good
luck Larry