Posted to alt.home.repair
Gimpy

Default Squirrels

Put some new plants in my patio & the squirrels just love digging in the
fresh soil. Anyone know of something to keep them out? Gimpy

Posted to alt.home.repair
Nonnymus

Gimpy wrote:
Put some new plants in my patio & the squirrels just love digging in the
fresh soil. Anyone know of something to keep them out? Gimpy

If it's not too damp where you live, consider "Squirrel
Away." It's a Capsacin powder that is harmless to birds. I
sprinkled it on the bird seed in the feeder, but it would
also work with a light dusting in a flower bed.

Nonnymus
Posted to alt.home.repair
Nonnymus

Nonnymus wrote:
Gimpy wrote:
Put some new plants in my patio & the squirrels just love digging in
the fresh soil. Anyone know of something to keep them out? Gimpy

If it's not too damp where you live, consider "Squirrel Away." It's a
Capsacin powder that is harmless to birds. I sprinkled it on the bird
seed in the feeder, but it would also work with a light dusting in a
flower bed.

Nonnymus

BTW- following up on my own post: WASH YOUR HANDS well
after dusting on the Capsacin powder. . . especially BEFORE
going to the bathroom. That stuff can virtually "raise
welts" hours after you get it on your hands. Gentlemen:
beware! grin

Nonnymus
Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector

"Gimpy" wrote in message
Put some new plants in my patio & the squirrels just love digging in the
fresh soil. Anyone know of something to keep them out? Gimpy

Depends on your local laws and your own personal beliefs - but a gun works
wonders.

Personally I'd try capacin powder first

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gimpy wrote:
Put some new plants in my patio & the squirrels just love digging in the
fresh soil. Anyone know of something to keep them out? Gimpy

Scatter some moth balls around I think that will work as they don't
like the smell

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shopdog

How do you know they don't like the smell? What if they actually DO like the
smell, maybe even are attracted to it. What, if its like a fart, you know
those farts that you KNOW you like to smell but act like its not there or
that it was horrible that someone would do that. In fact I am sure that you
even once in awhile smell tested a fart, just to see if maybe you liked it
or maybe it was too strong.Oh, come on now you know youv'e done it, been
sitting around with the guys drinking beer playing cards, and someone lets
out SBD, at first no one admits it but as you look around everyone else is
looking around trying to figure out who did it! Then the farting match
begins!!!

Sorry, just had to do it Been on eof those days!@!!!
Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim McLaughlin

..22 pistol, hollow point LR loads.

--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.
"Gimpy" wrote in message
Put some new plants in my patio & the squirrels just love digging in the
fresh soil. Anyone know of something to keep them out? Gimpy

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shopdog

..22 bb caps, if you can still find them. Sounds like a cap gun kills like
the .22 (close range)
I found a tin from Germany a few years back.
Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair
indago

060617 1857 - Gimpy posted:

Put some new plants in my patio & the squirrels just love digging in the
fresh soil. Anyone know of something to keep them out? Gimpy

Get a cheap radio with a plug in for an external speaker. Run a small wire
pair, 20 gauge will do, out to the patio and put a small loud speaker in a
weather resistant housing by the patio. You can get 2" loudspeakers that
will work for this. Tune the radio to a talk radio station where there are
people talking all the time, very little music. Varmints don't like people
near them. The sound doesn't have to be very loud, just loud enough for the
varmints to hear when they get near the area. You can leave the radio on
all the time. It won't draw much current from the electrical system. You
can make a housing for the speaker out of a plastic box and make a hood over
the speaker opening so rain doesn't get into the speaker.

Or, you could just get a small, cheap battery radio and put it in a
cardboard box with the opening at the side, and just leave it on all the
time.

I went to a friends farm once, and wanted to borrow something that he had.
He said it was in the barn and gave me the key to the door. I went to the
barn and got the item, and while I was there I heard a radio playing in the
barn. I turned it off. When I went back to the house I told him that
somebody left the radio on in the barn and I turned it off. He laughed
about it and told me why the radio was left on in the barn -- to make
varmints believe that there was somebody in there and they wouldn't bother
to move in.

Posted to alt.home.repair
J. Clarke

Gimpy wrote:

Put some new plants in my patio & the squirrels just love digging in the
fresh soil. Anyone know of something to keep them out? Gimpy

If you'd asked this 20 years ago I'd have offered to loan you Fred the
Formerly Ball-Bearing Mousetrap. His favorite lunch was fresh squirrel.
Of course me might do his own digging. Alas poor Fred went to the Great
Catnip Patch many years ago.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy

indago wrote:
Get a cheap radio with a plug in for an external speaker. Run a small wire
pair, 20 gauge will do, out to the patio and put a small loud speaker in a
weather resistant housing by the patio. You can get 2" loudspeakers that
will work for this. Tune the radio to a talk radio station where there are
people talking all the time, very little music. Varmints don't like people
near them

Andy writes:

I did the above and it partially worked.... The station was 820 AM
in
Dallas where Mark Davis, Rush Limbaugh, and Sean Hannity are on
from 9am to 6pm......

The squirrels that were working hard and gathering nuts and storing
piles of them loved the station and hung around..

The squirrels that were stealing nuts from the others and tearing
up things in the yard went away......

I suppose you have to select the station to appeal to the audience
you want.....

:))))) Andy in Eureka, Texas

Posted to alt.home.repair
rosebud

Nonnymus wrote:
Gimpy wrote:
Put some new plants in my patio & the squirrels just love digging in
the fresh soil. Anyone know of something to keep them out? Gimpy

If it's not too damp where you live, consider "Squirrel Away." It's a
Capsacin powder that is harmless to birds. I sprinkled it on the bird
seed in the feeder, but it would also work with a light dusting in a
flower bed.

Nonnymus

Never worked on my local squirrels but why not just go to the
supermarket and buy ground cayenne pepper.
bonnie