Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shower on finished concrete

We're in the planning stages of a new home to be handicap accessible.
The floor will be finished concrete requiring no floor covering. The
only information we have found on roll-in showers for wheelchairs do not
address using bare (but decorative) concrete for the finished shower
floor. They all specify a floor pan and then motar and or tile. Does
anyone have some ideas and/or comments on this subject?

Thanks
George
Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

g wrote:
We're in the planning stages of a new home to be handicap accessible.
The floor will be finished concrete requiring no floor covering. The
only information we have found on roll-in showers for wheelchairs do not
address using bare (but decorative) concrete for the finished shower
floor. They all specify a floor pan and then motar and or tile. Does
anyone have some ideas and/or comments on this subject?

The concrete would have to be sealed, and unless you want to seal it
frequently, you'd probably want to use an epoxy. As an alternative you
could hold the slab (I'm assuming this is a slab on grade) down in the
shower area 1/2" to allow for tiling.

You didn't mention how you were draining the shower area. You should
probably visit some drain manufacturers' web sites to see how they
recommend handling your situation.

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ps.com...
g wrote:
We're in the planning stages of a new home to be handicap accessible.
The floor will be finished concrete requiring no floor covering. The
only information we have found on roll-in showers for wheelchairs do not
address using bare (but decorative) concrete for the finished shower
floor. They all specify a floor pan and then motar and or tile. Does
anyone have some ideas and/or comments on this subject?

The concrete would have to be sealed, and unless you want to seal it
frequently, you'd probably want to use an epoxy. As an alternative you
could hold the slab (I'm assuming this is a slab on grade) down in the
shower area 1/2" to allow for tiling.

You didn't mention how you were draining the shower area. You should
probably visit some drain manufacturers' web sites to see how they
recommend handling your situation.

Last time this question came up, somebody recommended doing a search for
'ADA architectual guidelines'. I think there are pamphlets and spec sheets
floating around. A roll-in/walk-in shower should not be a big deal to spec
out- you do need some sort of minor lip at entry door to bathroom, but it
can be tapered to not be hard to roll over, and a curb at bottom of wall
(raised sill for the wall framing) will keep water from wicking under.
Shower floor can be recessed for tile, or they can texture and seal the
concrete. Appropriate slopes for drainage to floor drains, of course- one in
shower, and one at center of bathroom itself. Not that different from what
they do in an industrial locker room, like at a factory or hiway department
garage. (or at a high school gym or public pool, for that matter.)

aem sends...