Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What to do with the rises?

Hi,

I'm about to sand and finish a bunch of stairs and I'm wondering
whether I can do reasonably do anyithing interesting with the rises
other than paint them white. My concern is that if I finish them in the
same way as the treads it'll give it an undesirable ski lodge feel.

Maybe there's a website with pictures where I could get some good
ideas?

Thanks,

Aaron Fude

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wouldn't you stain the whole lot ? White risers (and treads) would
scuff up a lot, no ?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

My concern is that if I finish them in the
same way as the treads it'll give it an undesirable ski lodge feel.

I don't ski, but most stairs in private homes have both the tread and risers
the same. No need they must be. What do you like?

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

wrote in message
oups.com...
Wouldn't you stain the whole lot ? White risers (and treads) would
scuff up a lot, no ?

Most stairs I have seen with white risers (in traditional N E style homes)
also have a carpet runner up the middle. Most houses built in last 30 years
don't even have hardwood on the stairs- they assume from the get-go that
stairs will have W/W carpet. I prefer hardwood stairs, but I hate vacuuming.
Note well that you do not want a gloss finish on the treads- very slippery
when walking the stairs in stocking feet.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jimmie D

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I'm about to sand and finish a bunch of stairs and I'm wondering
whether I can do reasonably do anyithing interesting with the rises
other than paint them white. My concern is that if I finish them in the
same way as the treads it'll give it an undesirable ski lodge feel.

Maybe there's a website with pictures where I could get some good
ideas?

Thanks,

Aaron Fude

The all white would be too much for me too unless there was a carpet runner.
My friend stined the treads and painted the risers. ballisters are white ,
handrail is stined.....NICE.