Posted to alt.home.repair
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

Default How long to run RainBird sprinklers

We have a RainBird sprinkler system installed for lawn irrigation and I
was wondering ABOUT how long to run each zone to get 3/4 - 1 inch of
water. I know there's a ton of variables (water pressure, head type,
etc). But I'm looking where to start with the typical rotary (non
impact) head (T-Bird) doing a 180 degree sweep. My house has "normal"
water pressure and there are 4 heads/zone.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman

In article .com,
"grodenhiATgmailDOTcom" wrote:

We have a RainBird sprinkler system installed for lawn irrigation and I
was wondering ABOUT how long to run each zone to get 3/4 - 1 inch of
water. I know there's a ton of variables (water pressure, head type,
etc). But I'm looking where to start with the typical rotary (non
impact) head (T-Bird) doing a 180 degree sweep. My house has "normal"
water pressure and there are 4 heads/zone.

I have an old system with some of the Maxi-Paw, etc. so I probably
won't be able to help you directly. When I had that question, I started
one the zones for half an hour, put down a regular water glass and
measured how much was there and figured it up from there.
Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"grodenhiATgmailDOTcom" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have a RainBird sprinkler system installed for lawn irrigation and I
was wondering ABOUT how long to run each zone to get 3/4 - 1 inch of
water. I know there's a ton of variables (water pressure, head type,
etc). But I'm looking where to start with the typical rotary (non
impact) head (T-Bird) doing a 180 degree sweep. My house has "normal"
water pressure and there are 4 heads/zone.

Really, the only reliable way to test the system is to set out a grid of
paper cups and run it for 30 min then adjust as required. If you find it
uneven, you can adjust each head but that's unnessary if they are all close.

Reduce watering weekly until the grass shows stress than increase slightly
and leave it there

Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

On 19 Jun 2006 13:17:54 -0700, "grodenhiATgmailDOTcom"
wrote:

We have a RainBird sprinkler system installed for lawn irrigation and I
was wondering ABOUT how long to run each zone to get 3/4 - 1 inch of
water. I know there's a ton of variables (water pressure, head type,
etc). But I'm looking where to start with the typical rotary (non
impact) head (T-Bird) doing a 180 degree sweep. My house has "normal"
water pressure and there are 4 heads/zone.

Set out a few rain gauges.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

"grodenhiATgmailDOTcom" wrote in message oups.com...
We have a RainBird sprinkler system installed for lawn irrigation and I
was wondering ABOUT how long to run each zone to get 3/4 - 1 inch of
water. I know there's a ton of variables (water pressure, head type,
etc). But I'm looking where to start with the typical rotary (non
impact) head (T-Bird) doing a 180 degree sweep. My house has "normal"
water pressure and there are 4 heads/zone.

Put a bunch of tin cans out, water for an hour, and you'll know just how
much each area gets / hour.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

PipeDown wrote:
"grodenhiATgmailDOTcom" wrote in message
oups.com...

We have a RainBird sprinkler system installed for lawn irrigation and I
was wondering ABOUT how long to run each zone to get 3/4 - 1 inch of
water. I know there's a ton of variables (water pressure, head type,
etc). But I'm looking where to start with the typical rotary (non
impact) head (T-Bird) doing a 180 degree sweep. My house has "normal"
water pressure and there are 4 heads/zone.

Really, the only reliable way to test the system is to set out a grid of
paper cups and run it for 30 min then adjust as required. If you find it
uneven, you can adjust each head but that's unnessary if they are all close.

Reduce watering weekly until the grass shows stress than increase slightly
and leave it there

RainBird publishes watering rates for a variety of pressures for each of
its spray heads on its web site

Rate per triangle and rate per square.

The BIG commercial sprinklers such as you see on a golf course (100 ft
circle typical) water at about 0.5 gal per sq ft per hour. That's 14
gallons per minute per spray head.