Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Very scared and frustrated

Life is just full of risks its important to keep them in perspective!

Driving is no doubt the easiest way to get killed or severly injured.

more people die in the bathroom than anywhere else.

be outside in the rain might get you exposed to radiation from
chernobyle, the russian nuclear meltdown.

staying inside you home can cause health troubles from lack of sun
exposure, while being outside in the sun can get you skin cancer.

so you cleaned up the home used professionals.

buy a pricey hepa vacuumn, and work extra hard at keeping your home
clean. at least it will look good.

I am 49 when I was a kid my job was brooming the furnace ductwork, give
it a good cleaning. all covered with asbestos.

theres probably more in the existing envronment than what you
introduced by stirring it up.

really make a difference to your childs health! NEVER ALLOW THEM AROUND
TOBACCO SMOKE! Its way more dangerous and still to prevelant.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 15:24:36 -0400, Goedjn wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 00:20:41 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 00:32:11 GMT, "Art"
wrote:

Lots of people use the term linoleum incorrectly and are referring to much
more popular floor covering containing asbestos.

Yes, I think the standard name around Baltimore is "vinyl linoleum".
It didnt' take me long to learn that the word linoleum there only
means that it comes in wide sheets, unlike vinyl tile that comes in
12" or 9" squares.

However I don't think vinyl anything contains asbestos anymore. When
did the OP's floor go in.

There used to be something called asbestos tile, and I'm pretty sure
that contained asbestos.

That's really easy to identify. If you have tile that looks like
vinyl, but it throws sparks when you try to drill through it with
a hole-saw, it's probably VAT.

Wow, amazing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:That blindness guano can occur saw it on tv recently....

The eye doc sad so you have been exposed to bats or whatever.

Lady didnt know of the problem till that....

didnt go blind but it was possible

Posted to alt.home.repair
uz

Ok now that's scaring me...... I would hope though that my family's
exposure would still be much much smaller than the housewives who were
doing this (laundry) probably day in day out so they might as well have
worked in the factories themselves.

Has anyone else gone through the same i.e., remove asbestos
accidentally and if yes how did they deal with it????

HL wrote:
There are several consequences of asbestos exposure. Chronic interstitial
lung disease generally requires prolonged exposure. Lung cancer (which
typically occurs 15 or more years later) is dose related and has a strong
(more than additiive) association with smoking. Mesothelioma can occur with
short ( 1 - 2 year) exposures after an interval of 20 + years not peaking
until 30 to 35 years after exposure.

Housewives whose only contact with asbestos was laundering their spouses
absestos contaminated work clothing have been afflicted. So "casual"
indirect contact of this nature can cause disease.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

You have already been given lots of good advice. Asbestos has
been identified as a carcinogen when it is in a friable condition.
The floor tiles and the cut back adhesive that held them are not
basically friable (dust, powder, pulverized - flying in the air).
They can become friable by grinding, sanding, etc. The duct
asbestos was probably the paper thin type and it would again
depend on what you did to it during the remodel.

The basic precaution for any asbestos work is to keep it wet. By
keeping it wet it does not become friable. I don't know what
method(s) you did use during your remodel work, but I would not
worry about anything unless you created a major friable
circumstance. Even then, we must assume the dust has settled
after 2 years. Wipe up any dust with a damp rag and a squirt
bottle of water. There are testing agencies that will monitor the
air in your space if you want to hire them. It is a small
vacuum/fan with a filter disk and you would place several around
various places in the house including the attic and basement. The
filters are taken to a lab for analysis. If this would provide
peace of mind, I think you should go ahead and contact a testing
agency.

During professional asbestos removal, the building is kept under
negative pressure by use of very large vacuum(s) that draw the
air through a filter. The building will be kept under negative
pressure until the removal/disturbance is complete and until the
filter readings test clear.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

oups.com...

HL wrote:
There are several consequences of asbestos exposure. Chronic
interstitial
lung disease generally requires prolonged exposure. Lung cancer
(which
typically occurs 15 or more years later) is dose related and
has a strong
(more than additiive) association with smoking. Mesothelioma
can occur with
short ( 1 - 2 year) exposures after an interval of 20 + years
not peaking
until 30 to 35 years after exposure.

Housewives whose only contact with asbestos was laundering
their spouses
absestos contaminated work clothing have been afflicted. So
"casual"
indirect contact of this nature can cause disease.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 14:52:13 -0400, "J. Clarke"

mm wrote:That blindness guano can occur saw it on tv recently....

The eye doc sad so you have been exposed to bats or whatever.

Lady didnt know of the problem till that....

didnt go blind but it was possible

She must have gotten a lot less bat stuff than the ones who work 40-80
hours a week in guano (bat droppings) caves. So that makes it seem
like my brother was right, so why does google not have anything about
it. Is everything about it too old to be computerized?

Google "histoplasmosis". Blindness isn't the only thing it can do to you.

I'm sure. But I'm still more interested in the relationship between
histo and blindness. Turns out there is ocular histoplasmosis.

Too tired to hunt more, Bill, but it seems there is definitely a
relationship between bats and blindness (LOL). I don't know if it is
in the guano or not, but I only said "guano miners".

I don't know why blindness and histoplasmosis give hits, and
histoplasmosis and bats give hits, but guano and blindness doesn't.
Maybe there are hits but they're too far down the list. Histo and
blindness gave about 49,000 hits, but searching for all 3 gave only
262 hits.

Here are 3:
http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00517.html
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:9SeOjXjzGwIJ:www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00517.html+histoplasmosis+blindness+guano&hl=en&gl =us&ct=clnk&cd=2&lr=lang_en|lang_iw|lang_es&client =firefox-a
"In another, 14 healthy young college students developed
histoplasmosis when they were exposed to bat guano in a cave in
Nicaragua."

http://www.unitedwildlife.com/AnimalsBats.html
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:iVpSDFlFB9cJ:www.unitedwildlife.com/AnimalsBats.html+histoplasmosis+blindness+guano&hl =en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1&lr=lang_en|lang_iw|lang_es& client=firefox-a
"Though bat guano has been sold as a fertilizer and can be useful in
some situations, bat droppings are also a major breeding ground for
histoplasmosis. Histoplasmosis is a fungus disease contracted through
airborne spores in bat droppings. Histoplasmosis symptoms may be
anything from a mild influenza to blood abnormalities and fever, or
even death. An eye condition has been linked to the bat disease
histoplasmosis and can lead to blindness in those who contract it. "

and
6. Lenhart S. Recommendations for Protecting Workers from Histoplasma
capsulatum Exposure During Bat Guano Removal from a Church's Attic.
Appl Occup Environ Hyg 1994; 9:230-6.

If they have to protect workers from it, ...

Posted to alt.home.repair
J. Clarke

mm wrote:

[...]

My impression is that blindness is an infrequently occurring outcome.

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...d=2&lr=lang_en

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...d=1&lr=lang_en
lang_iw|lang_es&client=firefox-a
"Though bat guano has been sold as a fertilizer and can be useful in
some situations, bat droppings are also a major breeding ground for
histoplasmosis. Histoplasmosis is a fungus disease contracted through
airborne spores in bat droppings. Histoplasmosis symptoms may be
anything from a mild influenza to blood abnormalities and fever, or
even death. An eye condition has been linked to the bat disease
histoplasmosis and can lead to blindness in those who contract it. "

and
6. Lenhart S. Recommendations for Protecting Workers from Histoplasma
capsulatum Exposure During Bat Guano Removal from a Church's Attic.
Appl Occup Environ Hyg 1994; 9:230-6.

If they have to protect workers from it, ...

You have to protect workers from a lot of things. You have to protect them
from sawdust these days, to take one example.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate