Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband

Default Two ceiling fans on a single control?

My in-laws have two ceiling fans in their living room. Currently the lights
are controlled by two separate light switches (in one box), and the fans
are controlled by pull strings. As part of a rewiring project, I'd like to
rewire the fans to be controlled by wall controls instead of the pull
strings.

So, I'm curious if I could wire both ceiling fans to a single control?

Each fan has 4 lights, so that's about 480 watts for the lights. I assume I
should be OK there as long as I get a control with the proper wattage
rating.

What I don't know is how two fan motors would cope on a single speed
control? Would this cause any problems?

Thanks,

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"HerHusband" wrote in message

So, I'm curious if I could wire both ceiling fans to a single control?

Each fan has 4 lights, so that's about 480 watts for the lights. I assume
should be OK there as long as I get a control with the proper wattage
rating.

What I don't know is how two fan motors would cope on a single speed
control? Would this cause any problems?

I don;t know about two, but we have six on one switch in our shop. Of
course, they may not hold up as long but it has been 20 years so far.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No

HerHusband wrote:
My in-laws have two ceiling fans in their living room. Currently the lights
are controlled by two separate light switches (in one box), and the fans
are controlled by pull strings. As part of a rewiring project, I'd like to
rewire the fans to be controlled by wall controls instead of the pull
strings.

So, I'm curious if I could wire both ceiling fans to a single control?

Each fan has 4 lights, so that's about 480 watts for the lights. I assume I
should be OK there as long as I get a control with the proper wattage
rating.

What I don't know is how two fan motors would cope on a single speed
control? Would this cause any problems?

Thanks,

Anthony

I have looked into this - I have a need to control 4 fans. You need to
check the amp draw in the fans and the amp rating on the switch. What
you will find is the switches at the big Blue and Orange stores will
only support one fan. Hunter has one designed for two fans IIRC.

Hmm - Looks like overkill
http://www.hunterfan.com/prodSum.php...e=acc&sType=30

Just make sure either the amps capability of the switch exceeds the amps
draw of the fans combined or find one designed for multiples.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie Bress

What I would suggest is that you look into remote controls that are
available at the big box stores.
These have adjustable codes set by switches in both the receivers and the
remotes. If you set the codes the same for both fans, then one remote will
set the two fans in synchronization. This way you don't have a concern about
the power requirements.

Charlie

"HerHusband" wrote in message
My in-laws have two ceiling fans in their living room. Currently the
lights
are controlled by two separate light switches (in one box), and the fans
are controlled by pull strings. As part of a rewiring project, I'd like to
rewire the fans to be controlled by wall controls instead of the pull
strings.

So, I'm curious if I could wire both ceiling fans to a single control?

Each fan has 4 lights, so that's about 480 watts for the lights. I assume
should be OK there as long as I get a control with the proper wattage
rating.

What I don't know is how two fan motors would cope on a single speed
control? Would this cause any problems?

Thanks,

Anthony

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"No" wrote in message ...
HerHusband wrote:
[...]

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita
http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

You can also add up the Watts if you don't find the Amps easily

Posted to alt.home.repair
AZ Nomad

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 14:14:33 -0400, Charlie Bress wrote:

What I would suggest is that you look into remote controls that are
available at the big box stores.
These have adjustable codes set by switches in both the receivers and the
remotes. If you set the codes the same for both fans, then one remote will
set the two fans in synchronization. This way you don't have a concern about
the power requirements.

make sure you use an X10 module designed for fans. Their regular modules are
only for non-inductive loads.

Posted to alt.home.repair
lee_houston

"HerHusband" wrote in message
Each fan has 4 lights, so that's about 480 watts for the lights. I assume
should be OK there as long as I get a control with the proper wattage
rating.

A simple light dimmer rated above 480 watts can control both lighting
fixtures on a pair of wires.

What I don't know is how two fan motors would cope on a single speed
control? Would this cause any problems?

If you get the wrong fan controller it certainly could cause problems.
this one is designed to handle Multiple fans on a pair of wires:

http://www.ylighting.com/mod-mf009a.html Click on picture for more
detail.

So a dimmer in one outlet box can power all 8 bulbs. And a multple
fan controller can power both fans.

lee h

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie Bress

wrote:

What I would suggest is that you look into remote controls that are
available at the big box stores.
These have adjustable codes set by switches in both the receivers and the
remotes. If you set the codes the same for both fans, then one remote will
set the two fans in synchronization. This way you don't have a concern
about
the power requirements.

make sure you use an X10 module designed for fans. Their regular modules
are
only for non-inductive loads.

I was not referring to X10. There are specifically designed remotes for
fans.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie Bress

"lee_houston" wrote in message
. com...

"HerHusband" wrote in message
Each fan has 4 lights, so that's about 480 watts for the lights. I assume
should be OK there as long as I get a control with the proper wattage
rating.

A simple light dimmer rated above 480 watts can control both lighting
fixtures on a pair of wires.

What I don't know is how two fan motors would cope on a single speed
control? Would this cause any problems?

If you get the wrong fan controller it certainly could cause problems.
this one is designed to handle Multiple fans on a pair of wires:

http://www.ylighting.com/mod-mf009a.html Click on picture for more
detail.

So a dimmer in one outlet box can power all 8 bulbs. And a multple
fan controller can power both fans.

lee h

The use of remotes as in my earlier post dos not require any rewiring to
use.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair
lee_houston

"Charlie Bress" wrote in message
. ..

So a dimmer in one outlet box can power all 8 bulbs. And a multple
fan controller can power both fans.

lee h

The use of remotes as in my earlier post dos not require any rewiring to
use.

Charlie, the fans would have to be rewired, even with remote
receivers. The OP, in fact, requested use of wall controls. Likely
the 'remote' approach would also be more costly. plus another
damn remote to lose :-)

Anthony wrote:
"As part of a rewiring project, I'd like to
rewire the fans to be controlled by wall controls instead of the pull
strings.""

Posted to alt.home.repair
AZ Nomad

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 03:21:55 GMT, lee_houston wrote:

"Charlie Bress" wrote in message

So a dimmer in one outlet box can power all 8 bulbs. And a multple
fan controller can power both fans.

lee h

The use of remotes as in my earlier post dos not require any rewiring to
use.

Charlie, the fans would have to be rewired, even with remote
receivers. The OP, in fact, requested use of wall controls. Likely

What rewiring? Put a wirenut in place of the wall switch and the fan will
have power all the time. Insert the remote up @ the fan and you're done.
Posted to alt.home.repair
lee_houston

wrote:
What rewiring? Put a wirenut in place of the wall switch and the fan will
have power all the time. Insert the remote up @ the fan and you're done.

Anthony requested wall mounted control of the 2 light fixtures
and two ceiling fans.
Even the 2 remote receivers would have to *wired to the 2 fans?

lee h

Posted to alt.home.repair
AZ Nomad

wrote:
What rewiring? Put a wirenut in place of the wall switch and the fan will
have power all the time. Insert the remote up @ the fan and you're done.

Anthony requested wall mounted control of the 2 light fixtures
and two ceiling fans.
Even the 2 remote receivers would have to *wired to the 2 fans?

With X10 you'd put receivers up at the fans, and put a light switch
to send the code to the receiver in the wall plate. No rewiring.

Other solutions will be similar. At worst, you'd have a surface mounted
lightswitch.

Posted to alt.home.repair
lee_houston

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
\ With X10 you'd put receivers up at the fans, and put a light switch
to send the code to the receiver in the wall plate. No rewiring.

Other solutions will be similar. At worst, you'd have a surface mounted
lightswitch.

In Googling a bit, it seems that the wireless receiver that attaches
to the fan itself is custom to each brand/line of fan. Each receiver
must adapt to the Two ceiling fan/light assys. Which X10-like
modules are capable of this? And remember his existing wiring
is a switch via 2 wires to a fan/light (times 2 fans)

a wall mounted dimmer for the two light fixtures and a
wall mounted fan controller for the two fans are readily
available and would not have to be custom for Anthony's
brand of fan. yes he would have to run two lengths of
14-2 romax between the two ceiling fans, but he did mention
a rewiring project in his post.

wall
dimmer 2wire 4 lights 2wire 4 lights

wall
fan
control 2wire fan 2 wire fan

AZ, what specific hardware would you use to do this
wirelessly? and at what cost? remember the fan receivers
must mate with Anthony's 2 ceiling fans

thanks,
lee h

Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak

Charlie Bress wrote:
What I would suggest is that you look into remote controls that are
available at the big box stores.
These have adjustable codes set by switches in both the receivers and the
remotes. If you set the codes the same for both fans, then one remote will
set the two fans in synchronization. This way you don't have a concern about
the power requirements.

Charlie

May not work as expected. I have two fans in a sunroom that are
controlled by remotes. I tried to set both fans so they both work off
one remote. What happens is that the signal may activate one fan and not
the other and then they go completely out of sync. One fast, one slow or
not at all, or vice versa. One set of lights on, the other off, etc. The
only way to get them both to work the same is hard wiring the two together.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband

A simple light dimmer rated above 480 watts can control both lighting
fixtures on a pair of wires.
this one is designed to handle Multiple fans on a pair of wires:
http://www.ylighting.com/mod-mf009a.html

Thanks for the address. That's "close" to what I was looking for.

However, I was really hoping for a fan AND light control that could control
two ceiling fans and still fit in a single gang switch box. I have seen
plenty of dual controls designed for a single fan, I was just hoping to
find one rated for two fans.

If I have to replace the single gang box with a two or three gang box, I
might as well use separate controls for each fan. But, I'd like to avoid
cutting into the lath and plaster wall if possible.

Thanks again!

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie Bress

Anthony, unless you have your heart set on doing the rewiring, I still
suggest the remote at HD that you can see at the link.
Since both fans are in the same room the range of these remotes will be
adequate. There is a receiver that gets tucked away in the fan's canopy. On
this model (which is different than my old one) the remote holder screws on
to the box that used to hold one of the switches. The question
synchronization for these is moot. when you press the button for a
particular speed that is what the receivers see and that is the only choice
they have. The worst case scenario is that one fan doesn't respond because
it is too far away or flat out bad. Medium speed is the only speed that can
possibly come on for both fans unless something is defective. Likewise for
high, low or off.

Charlie

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...l.0& MID=9876

"HerHusband" wrote in message
A simple light dimmer rated above 480 watts can control both lighting
fixtures on a pair of wires.
this one is designed to handle Multiple fans on a pair of wires:
http://www.ylighting.com/mod-mf009a.html

Thanks for the address. That's "close" to what I was looking for.

However, I was really hoping for a fan AND light control that could
control
two ceiling fans and still fit in a single gang switch box. I have seen
plenty of dual controls designed for a single fan, I was just hoping to
find one rated for two fans.

If I have to replace the single gang box with a two or three gang box, I
might as well use separate controls for each fan. But, I'd like to avoid
cutting into the lath and plaster wall if possible.

Thanks again!

Anthony

Posted to alt.home.repair
lee_houston

"HerHusband" wrote in message However, I was really
hoping for a fan AND light control that could control
two ceiling fans and still fit in a single gang switch box. I have seen
plenty of dual controls designed for a single fan, I was just hoping to
find one rated for two fans.

Anthony, I assumed that each ceiling fan had its own
dedicated switch and wall box. Is this true?

or can you turn off both fan/lites from either of the
two boxes? This is common when wanting to control
lights from either of two entrances into a room.

The answers to this will tell us roughly how your
switches are wired and give a better indication of
your 'hardwired' options.

Remove the wall plates and tell us how many wires
(and colors of wires) go to each switch?

Are the switches Single Pole Single Throw or Single
Pole Double Throw? (number of brass screws on
each side of the switches?)

Do you have ready access to the wiring from an attic
space above the switches and fan/lites to allow pulling
of wires if needed?

Depending on answers you may be able to get by with
the two existing switch boxes. i.e. no disturbance to
plaster/lath.

lee h

Posted to alt.home.repair
lee_houston

I just reread your original post and saw:

"My in-laws have two ceiling fans in their living room. Currently the lights
are controlled by two separate light switches (in one box), and the fans
are controlled by pull strings.""

Are the two switches in a single wide or double wide box?

lee h

Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband

Charlie,

Anthony, unless you have your heart set on doing the rewiring, I still
suggest the remote at HD that you can see at the link.

I appreciate the suggestion, but I do not want a remote control. I want
things as simple as possible for my in-laws, don't want a remote that can
get lost, and we're rewiring the house anyway. The ceiling fan is just a
very small part of that project.

Anthony

Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband

I assumed that each ceiling fan had its own
dedicated switch and wall box. Is this true?

Unfortunately, no. They have one box where the original light switch was.
When the ceiling fans were installed, the original switch was replaced with
one of those double switches that puts two small SPST switches in a single
box.

can you turn off both fan/lites from either of the
two boxes?

Only one box for both fans. Simple on/off control. They currently have to
turn on the wall switch, then use the pull strings to control the fan/light
operations.

I'd like to eliminate the pull strings and install a wall control.

To complicate matters, the kitchen light switch is directly behind the fan
switches. So they both use shallow boxes to fit back to back in the 2x4
wall.

Remove the wall plates and tell us how many wires
(and colors of wires) go to each switch?

They live an hour away from me, and I haven't looked at the fan circuit in
years. But based on the operation, I'm guessing it either has two 14/2
wires, or a single 14/3 wire.

Do you have ready access to the wiring from an attic
space above the switches and fan/lites to allow pulling
of wires if needed?

Yes. Old house, no insulation, easy access from the basement and attic.
Pulling wires isn't a big deal. We're rewiring the whole house anyway. I'd
just like to avoid cutting into the plaster/lath if possible. It always
seems to turn into a bigger project.

Obviously, if I can't find a single control to run both fans, I'll just
install a 2 or 3 gang box and use standard controls.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband

"My in-laws have two ceiling fans in their living room. Currently the
lights are controlled by two separate light switches (in one box), and
the fans are controlled by pull strings.""
Are the two switches in a single wide or double wide box?

Single wide box (single gang).

It's where the original light switch was before the ceiling fans were
installed.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair
lee_houston

Obviously, if I can't find a single control to run both fans, I'll just
install a 2 or 3 gang box and use standard controls.

Anthony

Anthony, even if you find a single control for both fans, it
would not fit in your "1/2 depth" outlet box. seems you'll have
to make other arrangements. Is there perhaps a 'kinder,
gentler' place to put the new box (wood rather than lath)?

lee h

Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband

even if you find a single control for both fans, it
would not fit in your "1/2 depth" outlet box.

"IF" I could find the single control for both fans, I would be willing to
relocate the box on the other side of the wall in the kitchen. This would
let me use a full depth box in the living room.

We cleaned and painted the living room a few years back and it still looks
nice. I hate to tear into that unless I have to.

The kitchen is still in dire need of improvement, so a patch in the wall
wouldn't look out of place there.

Still, it seems like the only real solution is to replace the single gang
box with a double or triple box.

I'm thinking a triple box which would let me use three slider controls. One
for the lighting, and one for each fan. Simple generic stuff I can pick up
at any home center.

Anthony

Choosing a HOT WATER RECIRCULATOR for QUICK HOT WATER DELIVERY or for HOT WATER ON D'MAND is now a whole lot easier. [email protected] Home Repair 22 June 7th 06 02:09 AM
Ceiling fans next to ceiling diffusers [email protected] Home Repair 2 November 17th 05 07:36 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 09:45 PM
ceiling fan control RB Home Repair 7 August 31st 04 09:32 PM
ceiling fans NC UK diy 3 August 7th 03 10:08 PM