Posted to alt.home.repair
cheaphomeowner

Default Problem in attic

This weekend I was installing soffit baffles and an extra 8 inches of
insultion when I discovered that my bathroom fans were venting
straight into the attic. Not only were they venting into the attic
but they were also covered by the existing 8 inches of blown
insultion. I bought 3" flex and attached it to the vents and
ran the duct upto the roof vent. They are about 2-3" away from
the vent and the roof sheeting. My question is that I have seen
several post saying not to do this, Why? My understanding is that
you don't want that warm moist air in the attic. Also, how would
something like this be missed by the home inspection when we bought
the house. Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

cheaphomeowner wrote:
This weekend I was installing soffit baffles and an extra 8 inches of
insultion when I discovered that my bathroom fans were venting
straight into the attic. Not only were they venting into the attic
but they were also covered by the existing 8 inches of blown
insultion. I bought 3" flex and attached it to the vents and
ran the duct upto the roof vent. They are about 2-3" away from
the vent and the roof sheeting. My question is that I have seen
several post saying not to do this, Why? My understanding is that
you don't want that warm moist air in the attic. Also, how would
something like this be missed by the home inspection when we bought
the house. Thanks

How could it be missed? because you never had an
inspection? the inspector was incompetent? etc.

The vent pipe is suppose to go through the roof so
the vapor exists the pipe above the roof. If the
pipe ends inside the attic, even if it is only
2-3" away from a grill, warm vapor will condense
on the cold surfaces and drip or run down to the
insulation in cold weather.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

George E. Cawthon wrote:
... The vent pipe is suppose to go through the roof so
the vapor exists the pipe above the roof. If the
pipe ends inside the attic, even if it is only
2-3" away from a grill, warm vapor will condense
on the cold surfaces and drip or run down to the
insulation in cold weather.

I totally agree, but I would add that venting through a gable end is also
acceptable.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

The inspector has insurance for a reason, it would be an easy small
claims case. The fans never did anything the fiberglass blocked the
airflow. They need to vent outside now that air will move or mold will
happen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Roof vents can cause leaks, gable end vent MUCH better....

Yeah call the idiot home inspector he can pay out of pocket if he
wants.

DONT LET HIM OR A FRIEND FIX IT!

Posted to alt.home.repair
David Martel

Ransley,

I think you need to sue for some type of damages in small claims. A
section of vent pipe is not worth suing over. The OP alleges no damage
caused by condensation. Why go to court?

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

IF THE INSPECTOR REFUSES TO PAY and was refered by the real esate
agency like heres a list of inspectors just tell the idiot inspector
your calling the president of the real estate company and complaing...

Hidden defects is one thing but heres a fan wheres the exhaust is
pretty simple.

Wonder what else he missed?

I woulds love for 60 minutes to do a investigative report on home
inspectors.

just have some employees selling set up sham deals have 5 inspectors
check out same home and compare findings.... then have expert sort it
all out

industry is messed up

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Martel wrote:
Ransley,

I think you need to sue for some type of damages in small claims. A
section of vent pipe is not worth suing over. The OP alleges no damage
caused by condensation. Why go to court?

Dave M.

The damage claim could be that had the inspector found it, then the
buyer would have made the seller fix it or give a credit prior to
closing. However, as I said in previous post, every inspection
contract I've seen has pretty good protection for the inspector and
limits damage. You'd likely have to prove gross negligence to win and
that ain;t easy.

And back to the issue of damages, even proving the above is not a slam
dunk. For example, if the buyer bought the house without having some
other items fixed that the inspector did find, or receiving a credit
for same, then the inspector could argue that it was likely the same
thing would have happened with the vent issue. In other words, as you
pointed out, there may have been no actual damages.

Posted to alt.home.repair

provided no colatteral damage like rotted framing, home inspector will
probably be glad to pay for his oversite out of pocket, so his
insurance rate doesnt go up.

under 50 bucks should fix this its not worth getting all in a huff over

Posted to alt.home.repair
mrsgator88

"cheaphomeowner" wrote in message
news
This weekend I was installing soffit baffles and an extra 8 inches of
insultion when I discovered that my bathroom fans were venting
straight into the attic. Not only were they venting into the attic
but they were also covered by the existing 8 inches of blown
insultion. I bought 3" flex and attached it to the vents and
ran the duct upto the roof vent. They are about 2-3" away from
the vent and the roof sheeting. My question is that I have seen
several post saying not to do this, Why? My understanding is that
you don't want that warm moist air in the attic. Also, how would
something like this be missed by the home inspection when we bought
the house. Thanks

The REALITY is... A home inspection doesn't catch everything, nor is it
supposed to. A home inspection is a second set of eyes that have seen a lot
more houses than you have. Home inspectors only go places that are readily
accessable to that inspector. So don't hire a 300 lb inspector and expect
him to be able to get into every space. Some inspectors are better than
others, just like doctors, carpenters, accountants, mechanics, etc. Heck,
just thing of all the mistakes doctors make, and they hold people's lives in
their hands!

My inspector is a former builder. He was a nice guy and kept getting
shafted on jobs. He decided to still be a nice guy, so went into home
inspection. So for your next inspection, consider also hiring a retired
builder?

Others have suggested taking action against the inspector. This will
probably get you nowhere, especiallly because you don't seem to have
suffered any damages. If you bought the house within the last 12 months,
you can always take pictures to document this and try to get a refund of
what you paid the inspector if he's part of a larger company.

IMO, the big lesson here for others who will read this in the future is to
get into all the parts of your house from time to time, at least several
times a year. Have a crawlspace that you don't ever use? Well, get in
there and take a look every so often. Same for your attic, etc. Get up to
your roof if you can. If you can't, get a better ladder, or a better ladder
and a younger person to take a look. I'm having an addition put on, and
just got up to the high part of my roof a few weeks ago... and its amazing
what some people will try to get away with in a place that they don't think
you'll look. And my contractor KNOWS that I get up onto my roof!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Inspector should confirm that all vent fans have a exit outdoors

Posted to alt.home.repair
cheaphomeowner

I would like the thank every one for their input into this topic. To
follow up, I have no interest in going after the inspector. I just
can't see how he would miss this. I mean he was up in the attic,
inspected the roof sheeting, the fireplace chimney and some wiring.
So how did he miss this? Any way, Back to the real issue. It sounds
as if I need to fully vent the duct work to insure that I don't get
moisture and I am thinking of just running it fully out of the top
roof vent or out to the soffits. Also, the fans are on seperate
switches and they are only used for about 30 mins. each night during
showers. Soffit or top roof vent, which would do better?