Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Swiming Pool Problems

I have a swimming pool with a Triton II sand filter and an Aqua Rite
salt chlorination system.

The pool was installed in 1996 and the Triton 2 sand filter is the
original filter. The Aqua Rite system was installed new last fall.
A pool company installed the new salt system and replaced the pump.

It worked great last fall and through the winter even. It was
crystal clear. But this past month, the pool turned murky green in
about three days.

Currently there is intermittently little or no circulation. You can
set the pump to backwash, then back to normal, and the circulation
will increase for short time, but then decrease to a slow flow.

There were a few leaves in the pool from last fall, but I would assume
these would be negligable.

My pool guy said that my Aqua Rite computer board is shot, but I feel
that this is not the case.

Can anyone give me some troubleshooting hints to find out what this
could be?

Any help would be appreciated. I am an unlearned novice.

Thanks,

Kevin Smith

Posted to alt.home.repair

Also, a filter will not remove much of the algae that it still alive
and will slow down the flow. You say it works as it used to after you
backwash? If so, the impeller should be ok but always keep it in mind.
Sounds like no CL- is being fed to the pool. At least, not enough. A
good CL- shock should turn the water a cloudy blue without any
filtration. An adjustment in pH to one side of normal and then back may
help the CL- react more aggressively. ,Finally, if all this is the
case, then the CL- generator needs a fixin'.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I have a Aqua Rite system also, Are you still shocking the pool? Do you
check the water chemistry? ( chlorine level) The salt water system with the
chlorine generator dose not even come close to generating enough Chlorine,
they make it sound like it when you install one. My pool is hitting about an
average of 85 degrees I,m shocking it once a week. I do not think you have a
filter problem, also clean the Turbo cell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sacramento Dave wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

We are still shocking the pool weekly and checking the water chemistry.
However the pool company gave us shock on a blue bag one and in and
orange bag the next week. We called the Aqua Rite manufactures and
they said we needed to use a specific shock for salt systems.

Is this right? Do we need a specific shock for salt? If so
what type should it be? Thanks for your help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Sacramento Dave wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

After two weeks of treatments the pool has turned a cloudy blue as DCD
above mentioned. There is slightly more visibility. However the
flow is still intermidiate.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Smokey

wrote:
[...]

Kevin,

I may not fully understand your situation, as I know very little about
the Aqua Rite system, but you may have another problem or two. You say
that the sand filter is the original from 1996. Have you changed the
sand? It should be changed every three to four years, or it will not
filter properly. There are filter cleaning chemicals that may prolong
the life, to get throught the year, but, if your sand is older than
four years, it probably needs replaced.
If there is a knowledgable Pool supply store in your area, take them a
water sample and have it tested. Tell them everything you have posted,
and anything you may have not posted.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

I use the same shock I used before I converted to salt. I also stay away
from home depot/Lowes shock. My pool did seem to get cloudy from them, but
it did go away. One thing I found about the whole pool thing is you have to
find a decent pool supply that's not trying to sell you stuff you don't
need. My first few months with the pool I went to Leslies there national CO.
it turned to be the worst of them all.

wrote in message
ups.com...

Sacramento Dave wrote: