Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cart wheel problem

I have a new yard cart to replace my 30 year-old cast-iron wheel barrow
that finally "dissolved" away....
Here's what the new cart looks like:

http://www.agri-fab.com/productslarge/45_0226.html

And here's an "exploded" parts view:

http://www.agri-fab.com/06partsbreak...s/IPL%2045-022...

It works great in normal use. However, I have about 10 cubic yards of
dirt that I need to haul up a side hill in this thing. Steep, rough
ground, and no other way to get the dirt in there, that I can afford,
anyway.

So, the axle of the cart (no. 3 on the parts list) has slid through the
U-clamp (no. 8 on the parts list, and now the right hand cart wheel is
rubbing against the poly cart tray.

Sure, I can loosen the clamp, pull the axle back into position and try
to clamp down the U-clamp even tighter, although it is pretty tight
already, but I suspect I'll have no luck.

Anyone have any bright idea on keeping the axle in place?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

wrote:
[...]

Firstly, I couldn't get your link to the "arts breakdown" to work even
when I played around with adding the missing "6" at the end. And, I
spent about ten frustrating minutes on the agri-fab website trying to
find that page, but couldn't seem to get any further than the parts
list. I think their site may be bust.

But, as it appears that the axle is 3/4" diameter I'd suggest that you
just cross drill it on either side of that U-clamp with a 3/32" drill
and insert a couple of cotter pins or bent finishing nails to keep it in
position. If there's TWO U clamps, just drill one hole thru the axle on
the inner side of each clamp.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Firstly, I couldn't get your link to the "arts breakdown" to work even
when I played around with adding the missing "6" at the end. And, I
spent about ten frustrating minutes on the agri-fab website trying to
find that page, but couldn't seem to get any further than the parts
list. I think their site may be bust.

I appreciate your dogged determination LOL. Sorry the link to the
"exploded parts" didn't work for you.

I converted it to a tiny URL, and hopefullythis will work for anyone
who is still interested.

http://tinyurl.com/zv574

Someone else zapped a note my way suggesting putting PVC around the
axle to stop the axle from sliding through the brackets when it is
heavily loaded and being used a slope. Since the PVC idea is
"reversible," I think I'll try it first and then if that proves
unsatisfactory, possibly try your idea.

Thanks for the help, sorry for the frustration.....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

wrote:
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Firstly, I couldn't get your link to the "arts breakdown" to work even
when I played around with adding the missing "6" at the end. And, I
spent about ten frustrating minutes on the agri-fab website trying to
find that page, but couldn't seem to get any further than the parts
list. I think their site may be bust.

I appreciate your dogged determination LOL. Sorry the link to the
"exploded parts" didn't work for you.

I converted it to a tiny URL, and hopefullythis will work for anyone
who is still interested.

http://tinyurl.com/zv574

Yep, worked fine.

Someone else zapped a note my way suggesting putting PVC around the
axle to stop the axle from sliding through the brackets when it is
heavily loaded and being used a slope. Since the PVC idea is
"reversible," I think I'll try it first and then if that proves
unsatisfactory, possibly try your idea.

I take that to be a couple of pieces of PVC pipe cut to the right
lengths to act as spacers between the inner wheel washers and either the
two brackets or that center clamp.

That should work just fine, and depending on your tool availability
might be easier for you to accomplish than drilling a couple of extra
holes in the axle. A couple of spacers made from metal conduit or even
copper pipe would also do it, of course.

For me it'd be "a matter of a moment" to stick the axle in my drill
press' vise and pop a couple of holes through it, prolly less time than
I'd I'd spend scrounging around for tubing, measuring, marking and
cutting two pieces. But, "whatever floats your boat", eh?

Thanks for the help, sorry for the frustration.....

Naw, it wuz just my anal compulsivity. I hate to give up. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
"Life is like a sewer -- what you get out of it depends on what you put
into it."
Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On 13 Jun 2006 11:26:45 -0700, wrote:

[...]

If you can find a chunk of pipe with the same ID as the
OD of the axel, then using locktite to glue
a length of that that just fits between the mounts would
work. Failing that, about 30 wraps of
duct tape, a hose clamp, and a big-ass washer on
each side of each "bearing" would probably work.

Posted to alt.home.repair
rjackson@nospam_nocrap.com

Cable clamps made for steel cable should clamp right over the shaft.

[...]

Sony TV - Picture Problem Bruce H Electronics Repair 4 October 10th 06 01:30 AM
Machining a Go Cart Wheel Hub Jeremy Samuels Metalworking 11 May 9th 06 03:43 PM
Wobbly Grinding Wheel? Woodturning 12 February 16th 06 08:58 PM
how to dress a wheel on surface grinder feenyX2 Metalworking 2 February 15th 06 07:05 AM
Using a surface grinder questions Waynemak Metalworking 27 April 12th 05 03:43 AM