Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric hedge trimmer advice

Hi all,

I need to purchase a hedge trimmer. I have the manual kind ("giant
shears") but am discovering that I have too many bushes/too little time
to keep up with this kind. Having decided to get an electric hedge
trimmer, I went online to read up and, of course, discovered that there
are a zillion makes and models and a wide price range.

What do you think is important to look for in an electric hedge
trimmer? Do you have a model you would recommend? I have a mix of
shrubs, including boxwood, yews, euonymous, spreading juniper, etc.
All are short, "edge of the walkway" shrubs, i.e., I'm not maintaining
a tall privacy hedge or anything (won't be using the trimmer on a
ladder or overhead).

All advice appreciated -- thanks in advance!

Jo Ann

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

" wrote:

Hi all,

I need to purchase a hedge trimmer. I have the manual kind ("giant
shears") but am discovering that I have too many bushes/too little time
to keep up with this kind. Having decided to get an electric hedge
trimmer, I went online to read up and, of course, discovered that there
are a zillion makes and models and a wide price range.

What do you think is important to look for in an electric hedge
trimmer? Do you have a model you would recommend? I have a mix of
shrubs, including boxwood, yews, euonymous, spreading juniper, etc.
All are short, "edge of the walkway" shrubs, i.e., I'm not maintaining
a tall privacy hedge or anything (won't be using the trimmer on a
ladder or overhead).

All advice appreciated -- thanks in advance!

Jo Ann

For an electric one the cheap Black & Decker ones do fine. Be sure to
get a supply of cheap short extension cords to use at the trimmer end
for all the times you cut through the cord. You can use a good extension
cord for the rest of the length. Also get a few of those snap on cord
locks to keep the sections from unplugging as you drag them through the
yard. The gas trimmers are a lot more expensive but don't have these
problems.

W.P.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:

For an electric one the cheap Black & Decker ones do fine. Be sure to
get a supply of cheap short extension cords to use at the trimmer end
for all the times you cut through the cord. You can use a good extension
cord for the rest of the length. Also get a few of those snap on cord
locks to keep the sections from unplugging as you drag them through the
yard. The gas trimmers are a lot more expensive but don't have these
problems.

Have a small B&D that I keep at my mom's house -- 13" I believe. It
has worked fine for 10 years. My mom kept cutting through the cords,
so make sure as Pete mentioned that you have cheap, easy replacements
up near where the blade is in the event that you also have such
problems. Replacing the OEM that "locks" on the trimmer itself is
expensive.

Posted to alt.home.repair
IBM5081

I have 3 hedge trimmers - 2 electric and 1 gas. My wife will only use
the electrics because the gas is too heavy.

#1 - Craftsman 22" electric - fine for light stuff but the notches are
not wide enough for some of the older-growth branches. Still works
good.
#2 - B/D Hedgehog 18" electric - great trimmer with wider notches to
handle the 1/2-3/4" branches, etc. Has a cord holder loop to prevent
plug pullout. She uses either one of these.
#3 - Kawasaki 30" gas - still larger notches and plenty of power;
commercial grade. Able to vandalize a bunch of hedge in a short period
of time. We have dwarf hollies, tall hollies (Nelly Stevens), crepe
myrtle (tree and bush varieties) as well as barberry shrubs that are
low. Works great and starts easily.

I like the Hedgehogs for general use. If I had fewer shrubs, it would
be enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 20:03:08 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

" wrote:

[...]

I had that trouble (sometimes every few seconds), and got a cord that
has a locking device on it. This device uses the holes in prongs. I
got the cord at Wal-Mart (it was a long green one).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 20:44:12 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

Hi all,

I need to purchase a hedge trimmer. I have the manual kind ("giant
shears") but am discovering that I have too many bushes/too little
time to keep up with this kind. Having decided to get an electric
hedge trimmer, I went online to read up and, of course, discovered
that there are a zillion makes and models and a wide price range.

What do you think is important to look for in an electric hedge
trimmer? Do you have a model you would recommend? I have a mix of
shrubs, including boxwood, yews, euonymous, spreading juniper, etc.
All are short, "edge of the walkway" shrubs, i.e., I'm not maintaining
a tall privacy hedge or anything (won't be using the trimmer on a
ladder or overhead).

All advice appreciated -- thanks in advance!

Jo Ann

I recommend considering a battery operated model. I have a Black&Decker
18V battery operated one (part of a set that included a string trimmer and
leaf blower. I love it.

Batteries tend to go bad when not used enough.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Mark Lloyd wrote:
[...]

Today's batteries are a little different. They no longer need to be run
down from time to time. The memory effect is a thing of the past. They do
need to be kept charged. The set I got had a three station charger for
mounting on the wall keeping all three batteries charged. They are all over
three years old and I have not noticed any decrease in capacity.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 00:28:44 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:
[...]

How often are you using them? That would make a difference.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob G.

I recommend considering a battery operated model. I have a Black&Decker
18V battery operated one (part of a set that included a string trimmer and
leaf blower. I love it.

I have BOTH an electric and a smaller 9 V battery powered trimmer....
Electric is of course much better BUT honestly I am in my 60's now and
Retired so I do NOT have to do all the bushes in one day...

So I use the Battery Powered one much more then the electric...NO
CORDS to haul around (more work doing that then trimming the hedge
really) ...downside is I can not do it all in one day.... No big deal
in my case BUT it is a lot easier to just grab an go with the Battery
Powered trimmer...I should just buy a 2nd battery but have never
gotten around to it in the 4-5 years I have owned it...

Like it well enough that I picked up an 18 V Battery leaf blower to
keep the area around the swimming pool clean... again just so much
easier to use then hauling out electric cords..so much so in fact that
I may decide to use either the trimmer or the blower on a moments
notice..not even planning to "do a job"...
Bob G.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob G.

Today's batteries are a little different. They no longer need to be run
down from time to time. The memory effect is a thing of the past. They do
need to be kept charged. The set I got had a three station charger for
mounting on the wall keeping all three batteries charged. They are all over
three years old and I have not noticed any decrease in capacity.

Sums up my experience with batteries also...My trimmer is older then 3
years and its not a GOOD one either...cheap sears 9 v

Bob G.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:
[...]

Batteries are rotated though all three tools. I would guess they get
"used" on the average about once a week 6 months a year (that would be per
battery), and little or no use the other 6 months.

Back in the 70's and later I was in retail photography when nicads first
were coming into common consumer usage. I especially remember the Polaroid
SX-70 and it's electronic flash. The most common user of the SX-70 were
older people who used it very seldom, but kept the batter charged. Back
then those batteries suffered greatly from the memory effect and that kind
of usage was a real problem. I got rather good a bringing them back to
life.

Later the batteries and chargers improved and the memory effect was
greatly reduced. Today's Nicads as well as the newer chemistry batteries
and chargers are much better.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit