DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How to recharge new NiCad battery (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/165502-how-recharge-new-nicad-battery.html)

[email protected] June 13th 06 06:45 AM

How to recharge new NiCad battery

I bought a new 18 volt cordless drill-driver
that has 1200 mAh recharceable NiCad battery.
What is the best way to get longest battery
life out of it?
Alzerimers setting in? Can't remember if you
completely discharge first or fully charge to
get longest life.

ADM June 13th 06 06:53 AM

How to recharge new NiCad battery

Why don't go to the Radio Shack web site and check if you can get the model

Webmaster

www.hostpupil.com

Database of Web Hosting Plans, Featuring Cheap Web Hosting Plans, Ecommerce Hosting, Dedicated Hosting

Bob June 13th 06 07:50 AM

wrote in message oups.com...
How to recharge new NiCad battery
I bought a new 18 volt cordless drill-driver
that has 1200 mAh recharceable NiCad battery.
What is the best way to get longest battery
life out of it?
Alzerimers setting in? Can't remember if you
completely discharge first or fully charge to
get longest life.

Completely discharging just about any multicell battery will reverse charge some cells
and likely ruin them. Fully charge it. Try reading the instructions to be sure.

Bob

m Ransley June 13th 06 03:35 PM

How to recharge new NiCad battery

What kills nicads is over charging- getting it hot and over discharging
when running, when the drill start to slow its dead, let the battery
rest a day inbetween charges, just charge it and use it. Im sure your
new charger wont over charge it it monitors peak level.

Jim Yanik June 13th 06 06:36 PM

How to recharge new NiCad battery

wrote in
oups.com:

How to recharge new NiCad battery
I bought a new 18 volt cordless drill-driver
that has 1200 mAh recharceable NiCad battery.
What is the best way to get longest battery
life out of it?

Use it frequently(use it or lose it),recharge after use.
Don't put away a disharged battery.
Use a fast charger,1 hr lor less,not those 3-5hr chargers.
Use a "smart" charger that doesn't overcharge the pack.

also,RTFM.

Note NiCd cells have a self-discharge rate;they slowly discharge just being
stored.(thus "use it or lose it")

(1200mAH seems kinda low,most packs are 2200mAH or better)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

SJF June 13th 06 08:15 PM

How to recharge new NiCad battery

wrote in message
oups.com...
How to recharge new NiCad battery
I bought a new 18 volt cordless drill-driver
that has 1200 mAh recharceable NiCad battery.
What is the best way to get longest battery
life out of it?
Alzerimers setting in? Can't remember if you
completely discharge first or fully charge to
get longest life.

In my experience, new NiCads generally are sold in an uncharged state.
Simply put the new battery in the charger and give it the normal charge
procedure.

SJF

Dan K June 14th 06 10:46 PM

How to recharge new NiCad battery

wrote in message
oups.com...
How to recharge new NiCad battery
I bought a new 18 volt cordless drill-driver
that has 1200 mAh recharceable NiCad battery.
What is the best way to get longest battery
life out of it?
Alzerimers setting in? Can't remember if you
completely discharge first or fully charge to
get longest life.

Your getting a bunch of different answers, so here's mine: Its been my
experience that store bought chargers have one object in mind, to charge the
battery fast. They really don't care if your battery dies a year from now.
I've had store bought chargers that actually get a battery hot when its
charging. I've thrown out my store bought chargers or modified them to
charge at a reduced rate. Always start with a discharged battery (don't
charge a battery that doesn't need charging) and put it on a timer so you
know how long its been charged. I too have just gotten a couple new 18v
drills with 1200 mah battery's. These are the first cordless drills I've
owned. The charger said to charge for 5 hours and I measured a charge rate
around 350 ma. Do the math: 5 hrs at 350 ma = 1750 mah into a 1200 mah
battery. Not too bad, but I modified mine with a 13 ohm resistor to get the
charge rate down to around 200 ma and will charge them for 8 hours (beacuse
I just happen to have a nice 8 hour timer). I'll keep one of the chargers
un-modified and use it to quick charge if necessary for an hour or two, but
the 8 hour one will be what I use most of the time.

[email protected] June 14th 06 11:12 PM

How to recharge new NiCad battery

Thank you all. I had a Robi 12v drill/driver with two battery packs.
One pack died and the other didn't seem to hold a charge long at all.
Heck, I got the new 18 volt NOName for $9.99 after rebate. Now to see
if I can make it last longer than I have left (65).

Dan K wrote:
oups.com...

Jim Yanik June 15th 06 01:54 AM

How to recharge new NiCad battery

"Dan K" wrote in
:

wrote in message
oups.com...
How to recharge new NiCad battery
I bought a new 18 volt cordless drill-driver
that has 1200 mAh recharceable NiCad battery.
What is the best way to get longest battery
life out of it?
Alzerimers setting in? Can't remember if you
completely discharge first or fully charge to
get longest life.

Your getting a bunch of different answers, so here's mine: Its been
my experience that store bought chargers have one object in mind, to
charge the battery fast.

Which is best for them.
Those slow chargers don't measure battery temp or any parameter;they are
just current sources,and can overcharge or undercharge your battery
pack.Uusally overcharging them,shortening their life.

They really don't care if your battery dies
a year from now. I've had store bought chargers that actually get a
battery hot when its charging.

Which is normal,if not overdone.

I've thrown out my store bought
chargers or modified them to charge at a reduced rate. Always start
with a discharged battery (don't charge a battery that doesn't need
charging) and put it on a timer so you know how long its been charged.

How do you know how long to charge it?
How do you determine the pack's amount of depletion?
Modern smart chargers(all fast chargers) measure deltaV/deltaT,and know
when to shut off the charge.

I too have just gotten a couple new 18v drills with 1200 mah
battery's. These are the first cordless drills I've owned. The
charger said to charge for 5 hours and I measured a charge rate around
350 ma. Do the math: 5 hrs at 350 ma = 1750 mah into a 1200 mah
battery. Not too bad, but I modified mine with a 13 ohm resistor to
get the charge rate down to around 200 ma and will charge them for 8
hours (beacuse I just happen to have a nice 8 hour timer). I'll keep
one of the chargers un-modified and use it to quick charge if
necessary for an hour or two, but the 8 hour one will be what I use
most of the time.

When you buy the new Lithium-ion packs,they will have their smarts built
right into the pack,to insure the proper charging.

BTW,the cheapo drill/drivers are the ones that come with 3-5hr
chargers,that shorten battery life,and good battery packs have mAH ratings
of far more than 1200mAH. That's puny for a sub-C cell.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Bob June 15th 06 11:56 PM

How to recharge new NiCad battery

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message .. .
"Dan K" wrote in
:

wrote in message
oups.com...
How to recharge new NiCad battery
I bought a new 18 volt cordless drill-driver
that has 1200 mAh recharceable NiCad battery.
What is the best way to get longest battery
life out of it?
Alzerimers setting in? Can't remember if you
completely discharge first or fully charge to
get longest life.

Your getting a bunch of different answers, so here's mine: Its been
my experience that store bought chargers have one object in mind, to
charge the battery fast.

Which is best for them.
Those slow chargers don't measure battery temp or any parameter;they are
just current sources,and can overcharge or undercharge your battery
pack.Uusally overcharging them,shortening their life.

I have read that fast charging definately costs battery life. You are right that uncontrolled
cheap slow chargers can damage the batteries. A quality "slow" charger should be best in my
understanding.

Bob

Stormin Mormon June 17th 06 04:47 AM

How to recharge new NiCad battery

Fast charger more likely to electrolyze the water in the cells. Thus
killing Them.

Smart chargers better. Slow chargers better.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

.. .

m Ransley June 17th 06 11:40 AM

How to recharge new NiCad battery

There is no water in nicads, stormin..

m Ransley June 17th 06 11:50 AM

How to recharge new NiCad battery

There are peak reading slow chargers.

[email protected] June 17th 06 02:10 PM

How to recharge new NiCad battery

You were right. The charger for my dying 12 volt Robi was marked 17v.
Plus I always left the battery in the charge between uses. Hopefully,
I'll get better life from the new one with careful charging
proceedures.
Dan K wrote:
oups.com...

Jim Yanik June 17th 06 05:39 PM

How to recharge new NiCad battery

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

Fast charger more likely to electrolyze the water in the cells. Thus
killing Them.

Smart chargers better. Slow chargers better.

Fast charger knows when to shut off,slow chargers don't.
Fast charger detects when time to shut off based on state of charge,slow
charger has no idea of state of charge of cell,nor does the operator when
setting any added timer.
Smart chargers best,but they all charge FAST at first,then slow as needed
depending on programming and type of charge measurement.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Jim Yanik June 17th 06 05:46 PM

How to recharge new NiCad battery

wrote in
ups.com:

You were right. The charger for my dying 12 volt Robi was marked 17v.
Plus I always left the battery in the charge between uses. Hopefully,
I'll get better life from the new one with careful charging
proceedures.
Dan K wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You *have to* charge the cells at a higher than rated voltage,you don't
charge a 12V pack with a 12V supply.
Typical charge V for NiCds is 1.55V per cell.
Measure some good packs that are fully charged,you will find that they read
higher than 12V.(my Makita 9.6 packs charge to ~10.4V)

That's why you want a smart charger or a fast charger that actually
monitors the pack,not the slow chargers that are just a simple current
source with no feedback control.

You NEED a timer shut-off if you use a slow charger,to prevent
overcharging,and then the charger may discharge the cell if left
connected,it depends on the charger circuitry.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Bob June 17th 06 05:47 PM

"m Ransley" wrote in message
There is no water in nicads, stormin..

Actually, there is. The electrolyte in a NiCd cell is potassium hydroxide in
water. In the typical NiCd cell, there's not much - hence the concern about
burning up what little there is to begin with.

Stormin Mormon June 22nd 06 08:53 PM

How to recharge new NiCad battery

Thank you for ammusing Ransley for us.

--