Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Newbie Questions: Wireless Home Alarm System

My PC-illiterate buddy just moved into a new home, and is thinking
about installing a do-it-yourself alarm system. The easier to install
the better, but he wants to get a good quality one. His walls are
already finished, which might make a wired system harder to install.
Can someone recommend a particular brand or model so that I may point
him in the right direction?
Is wireless the way to go?
Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

If he is going to get monitoring anyway, some companies do a small system
for free if you sign up for monitoring. I have a wireless system many years
ago. I would get false alarms from static and other problems though the
company eventually had me do some simple modifications to eliminate that.
What I noticed though was a lot of these wireless systems go off the market
quickly because people don't buy them. Some MBA convinces a company to make
them because there will be a demand but the demand is smaller than expected
and the companies quit the business.

wrote in message
ps.com...
My PC-illiterate buddy just moved into a new home, and is thinking
about installing a do-it-yourself alarm system. The easier to install
the better, but he wants to get a good quality one. His walls are
already finished, which might make a wired system harder to install.
Can someone recommend a particular brand or model so that I may point
him in the right direction?
Is wireless the way to go?
Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

For a DIY all you can really install is either a loud alarm which will not
be monitored or an internet enabled survallence system.

If he is far from a neighbor or they are all too lame to call the cops when
they hear it go off, it will be as useless as most car alarms. It will
probably scare off most intruders though.

X-10 has a variety of home security sensors and autodialer but I personally
like the system where you can have cameras with motion sensors connected to
your PC to save images and connect over the web so you can keep an eye on
your house while you are away.

ps.com...