Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to obtain carpet

I have little experience in the acquisition of carpet and google
doesn't help much probably because I don't know the correct terms to
enter.

I have a room where I want to put what I'd call "office carpet" in one
piece 8'6" wide by 16'6" long. I want the carpet to be thin, which is
why I refer to "office carpet" and to have a rubber or similar
non-slip backing. I won't be putting down any underlayment and the
doors have to open over it. In addition I want it to be trimmed
(hemmed? bound?) with a leather or vinyl border sewn over the edge
around all four sides so it looks finished off. Color = a solid dark
brown with a slightly darker brown border. Many years ago I used to
have a car with exactly this type of carpet and border.

I also want another piece in the same style 3' wide by 19' long.

Please don't suggest rugs. No one makes rugs in those dimensions at
anything like a reasonable price. And please don't suggest
wall-to-wall. I have to be able to roll it up and take it with me. It
cannot be attached to the floor in any way.

So where do I find a description of this, in particular the
trimming/binding/hemming preferably with some nice cheap prices?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

Joseph Meehan wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Try a local carpet store.

Ask for "low loop commercial".

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it at
http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

wrote:
[...]

We investigated purchasing carpet from Home Depot and having it bound -
they will do it, but use an outside company to do the binding. There is
"indoor/outdoor" or kitchen carpet that would suit your needs - thin,
short nap. Just visit a good carpet store. There is probably some sort
of coating that can be applied to the back of carpet if not already part
of it. There are cut to fit "pads" available in most home stores - just
a mesh that is coated and folds up. The leather or vinyl might be a
problem - cracking or creasing when you roll it up to move it. Whatever
backing you consider, be sure it won't stick to the floor underneath.
If the large area rug fits up against the walls, you may not need any
backing - not likely it would slide, but may curl if not fastened down.
Posted to alt.home.repair
No

wrote:
[...]

Local store - I have bought from S&S mills of GA. They will send you
free samples, you order and they ship to you. Not sure if they can do
the binding. Doesn't hurt to ask.

http://www.ssmills.com/

"Draft Carpet Cleaning FAQ for comments" david lang UK diy 7 November 20th 05 08:29 PM
Carpet Cleaning FAQ david lang UK diy 6 November 20th 05 03:05 AM
Carpet problems, please help [email protected] Home Repair 11 January 10th 05 11:31 PM
What to do with Wet Carpet in a house? TURTLE Home Repair 23 March 4th 04 03:17 AM
while *laying* carpet; anticipating human "cow-trails"? David Combs Home Repair 7 January 31st 04 07:33 PM