Posted to alt.home.repair
Donny

Default Laminate Flooring (Pergo-type)

Will laminate flooring be damaged if dog pees on it and pee sits there
all day?
Posted to alt.home.repair
cm

Yes

cm

"Donny" wrote in message
Will laminate flooring be damaged if dog pees on it and pee sits there
all day?

Posted to alt.home.repair

cm wrote:
Yes

cm

"Donny" wrote in message
Will laminate flooring be damaged if dog pees on it and pee sits there
all day?

Laminate flooring is a tough synthetic material. If the pee just stays
on the surface, it will not be damaged. In fact, that is one of it's
main selling points.

Now, if there is a real flood of pee and it goes through joints and
gets underneath, then it's possible it could cause it to warp. But,
IMO, it would take a lot to do that, as the material is pretty
foregiving.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Not if it happens once in a while, continously in the same area it will
soak in underneath it could do harm, eventualy it would stink forever

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stubby

mm wrote:
On 11 Jun 2006 06:45:22 -0700, wrote:

cm wrote:
Yes

cm

"Donny" wrote in message
Will laminate flooring be damaged if dog pees on it and pee sits there
all day?

Laminate flooring is a tough synthetic material. If the pee just stays
on the surface, it will not be damaged. In fact, that is one of it's
main selling points.

Now, if there is a real flood of pee and it goes through joints and
gets underneath, then it's possible it could cause it to warp. But,
IMO, it would take a lot to do that, as the material is pretty
foregiving.

What about something in the middle, if the dog piddles where two
pieces come together, and it's not enough to get underneath, but it
does wet the edges of two pieces? How do you dry that out, and will
it cause damage.

I took a couple piece of Pergo flooring home once for a few days to
think about it, but I don't remember what the edges are like.)

Pergo used to be glued together but now it just snaps in. That may
change its water resistance. Look around on Pergo.com a bit. Here's
one item I found:

The Pergo Warranty
All Pergo flooring is warranted against wear-through-stains and fading
and will resist water damage from everyday spills and damp mopping when
water is promptly removed. Some Pergo flooring has additional warranty
coverage. See your individual warranty details or your authorized Pergo
dealer for more information.

Also, note the Pergo is cheap. If it fails you can just rip out a
section and redo it. There is a bit of technique involved, but it can
be done.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Donny wrote:
Will laminate flooring be damaged if dog pees on it and pee sits there
all day?

Why try to plan for a flooring that has dog urine on it all day? Either
do the dog a favor and get him a better home, or arrange to care for
him/her properly. Yuck!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Rick Brandt" wrote in message
You have to weigh the risk against the damage. My parents laminate floor
got wet from a leaky ice maker just a couple weeks after install. All the
edges within three feet of the fridge swelled and turned up (looks like
hell).

If something like that happens from your dog in the middle of the room
your only recourse will be tear it all up or buy an area rug to hide it.

If it has any effect at all.

My engineered wood flooring was wet from a heater pressure relief valve that
went bad. Water ran under the floor from the utility area. Probably was
wet for 6 hours or more. I dried up what I could but there was no damage at
all to the wood. I was happily amazed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KC

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 01:28:26 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Rick Brandt" wrote in message
You have to weigh the risk against the damage. My parents laminate floor
got wet from a leaky ice maker just a couple weeks after install. All the
edges within three feet of the fridge swelled and turned up (looks like
hell).

If something like that happens from your dog in the middle of the room
your only recourse will be tear it all up or buy an area rug to hide it.

If it has any effect at all.

My engineered wood flooring was wet from a heater pressure relief valve that
went bad. Water ran under the floor from the utility area. Probably was
wet for 6 hours or more. I dried up what I could but there was no damage at
all to the wood. I was happily amazed.

When I had some Pergo installed, I asked specifically about the dogs,
particularly when they drink sloppily and splash water on the floor.
The installer said that he had three big dogs and understood my
question and said that if they slop alot of water on the floor, I
should mop it up when I see it, but I don't have to run screaming for
the mop the second they do it.

Now, he said, if you have a leak and lots of water sits for a long
time, that's much more of a problem. Sounds like you were fortunate,
but your situation is more of what my installer said to be concerned
about. Some dog piddle shouldn't be a big deal, apparently.

KC

Posted to alt.home.repair
KC

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 01:12:53 GMT, Norminn
wrote:

Donny wrote:
Will laminate flooring be damaged if dog pees on it and pee sits there
all day?

Why try to plan for a flooring that has dog urine on it all day? Either
do the dog a favor and get him a better home, or arrange to care for
him/her properly. Yuck!

Well, yes, if you're tallking about a dog that's never been
housebroken and roams around the house peeing.

But, I've had to clean up a couple of accidents since I moved into my
new home after rebuilding when a fire destroyed the original house.
One of my dogs is a rescue that took quite a while to get housebroken
and she's regressed a bit after living in 4 places in a year. Donny
may just be thinking of all the things that *could* happen.

My dog's problem could be solved by me turning off the sprinklers so
she won't swallow a gallon of water attacking them. Amazing how that
reduces the need to pee.

KC
Posted to alt.home.repair
michaelong

Yes, like most of have said, laminates will expand when come in contact
with water consistently. As it is HDFs (Higher Density Fibreboards) or
MDFs (Medium Density Fibreboards) within the laminate floors, when in
contact with water, the whole floor will expand, causing the floor
boards to warp and you will see 'hilly' effects at the joints of the
affected areas. Or even worse, the top layer of laminate might just
peel off sometimes.

Laminates imo will never be able to resist water like many companies
claim. But the good point about laminates is the fact that it is low in
value and therefore you can simply change the floor say every 3-5 years
if there are problems with it.

If you are thinking of choosing a floor that gives you value for money
though, something that will last longer and feels better, then my
suggestion would be to go for engineered wood floors as they are
dimensionally much more stable than laminates or solid wood floorings.
My shop's engineered wood floor was flooded for a night due to a broken
pipe and I only managed to clear up the mess after a day. I aired the
place and then let it dry. Till now, think it have been a year, there
still have not been any visible problems with the floor as yet.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Hope they help.

Michael