Posted to alt.home.repair
Jerry

Default wet walls/moisure/mould

A tenant living in my apartment is complaining about rising wetness and
mould on walls.

I tell her to open some windows and let some air through. She claims they
are open always, but I live in the same block and have NEVER seen them open.

We are in winter and the bedroom windows are fogged up and wet from the
inside, with the windows closed.

Is this a heater with no air circulation problem or a deeper rising damp
problem.

No one else in the apartments has this problem and they are newly renovated
apartments with the requried floor ducts etc facing the outside.

Can anyone explain, thanks?

Posted to alt.home.repair
tmurf.1

Jerry wrote:
A tenant living in my apartment is complaining about rising wetness and
mould on walls.

I tell her to open some windows and let some air through. She claims they
are open always, but I live in the same block and have NEVER seen them open.

We are in winter and the bedroom windows are fogged up and wet from the
inside, with the windows closed.

Is this a heater with no air circulation problem or a deeper rising damp
problem.

No one else in the apartments has this problem and they are newly renovated
apartments with the requried floor ducts etc facing the outside.

Can anyone explain, thanks?

Are you the landlord?? Go inside and check it out for yourself. You
need much more info to get any help.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Jerry" wrote in message

We are in winter and the bedroom windows are fogged up and wet from the
inside, with the windows closed.

Is this a heater with no air circulation problem or a deeper rising damp
problem.

No one else in the apartments has this problem and they are newly
renovated apartments with the requried floor ducts etc facing the outside.

Can anyone explain, thanks?

Could be a lot of things. Does she run a humidifier? Is their mold that
got started someplace and now is growing? This can be an expensive problem
if not fixed. Go take a look at it and perhaps get some professional help
before even more damage is done.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jerry

I have seen it.
Only begun happening recently; wall in the far bedroom (furtherst away from
the heater) has some mould around the skirting - and in the bathroom, where
of course, the window is closed - dont know if they use the fan!

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
.com...

"Jerry" wrote in message

We are in winter and the bedroom windows are fogged up and wet from the
inside, with the windows closed.

Is this a heater with no air circulation problem or a deeper rising damp
problem.

No one else in the apartments has this problem and they are newly
renovated apartments with the requried floor ducts etc facing the
outside.

Can anyone explain, thanks?

Could be a lot of things. Does she run a humidifier? Is their mold that
got started someplace and now is growing? This can be an expensive
problem if not fixed. Go take a look at it and perhaps get some
professional help before even more damage is done.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat

Windows are fogged and wall areas are damp in winter? How cold is it
there? Sounds like some sort of vapor barrier problems in you newly
renovated apts. Some of problem could be showering, etc. with no fan
and window slightly open -- causing condensation.

If you suspect it to be a heater problem, get a carbon monoxide
detector IMMEDIATELY.

In any case, the advice to get professional help is very good. Black
mold can be dangerous and it can be hard to remove. You may have some
liability so you should try to get it fixed as soon as you can.

Good luck.

Jerry wrote:
A tenant living in my apartment is complaining about rising wetness and
mould on walls.

I tell her to open some windows and let some air through. She claims they
are open always, but I live in the same block and have NEVER seen them open.

We are in winter and the bedroom windows are fogged up and wet from the
inside, with the windows closed.

Is this a heater with no air circulation problem or a deeper rising damp
problem.

No one else in the apartments has this problem and they are newly renovated
apartments with the requried floor ducts etc facing the outside.

Can anyone explain, thanks?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay Stootzmann

Mold growth needs humidity over 70% -- this is a problem that needs
addressing sooner rather than later.

see: http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/housing/3...6-643.html#TOC
http://healthandenergy.com/mold_prevention.htm

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/425.html