Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector

Default 3 handle style shower diverter

Okay, I've gotten myself into a jam that I can't seem to figure out.

I'm removing the diverter in my shower (handle style, not tub spout) to fix
a leak. So I removed the handle, removed a nut inside the assembly with a
plumber's socket. And let me just add something here - 27/32????? Who in
the hell thought that was a good sizing for the nut! calm down Okay, so
anyway I removed the top nut with the socket, but the problem is there is a
second nut under it, larger in diameter that the first nut screwed into.
What do I need to do to remove the diverter if I want to clear and/or
replace it? I can't get my socket around it because it is almost flush with
the pipe surrounding it. Does the pipe covering it come off, it didn't seem
like it unless I just need to yank REAL hard. If the pipe comes off, then
what's the point of the plumber's socket?

Anyway, how does this thing come out?

Well at least I can put it all back together until someone is kind enough to
explain how the diverter is put together.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Eigenvector wrote:

[...]

You'll need a mfr name or pics of the unit.

Do a Search (or post new query) he\
http://www.terrylove.com/forums/arch...x.php?f-5.html

Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
. com...
Eigenvector wrote:

[...]

Well it's a Price Pfister faucet, here is a pic of the innards
http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenve...e/P6100003.JPG

Pretty good pic considering the angle and lighting issue.

Where does the manufacturer put the model number and such on appliances like
this? Are faucets pretty much known only by the manufacturer and the model
is irrelevant?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Eigenvector wrote:

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
. com...

Eigenvector wrote:

[...]

Yes, that inner "pipe" should come out; I'm guessing
it unscrews. The outer "flanged" piece may unscrew too.
Doing it without damage may be a problem. I would think of
stuffing a deep socket inside the pipe to prevent it being
crushed while turning the outside with wrench/plier. Maybe
wrap with heavy cloth/plastic.

Each mfr had distinct ways of doing things, thus the
dozens and dozens of faucet varieties.
Posted to alt.home.repair
lee_houston

Yes, that inner "pipe" should come out; I'm guessing
it unscrews. The outer "flanged" piece may unscrew too.
Doing it without damage may be a problem. I would think of
stuffing a deep socket inside the pipe to prevent it being
crushed while turning the outside with wrench/plier. Maybe
wrap with heavy cloth/plastic.

Yes, in my PF, the outer trim piece unscrews. This gives much
more room to get at the inner valve workings.

lee

Each mfr had distinct ways of doing things, thus the
dozens and dozens of faucet varieties.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector

"lee_houston" wrote in message
.net...
Yes, that inner "pipe" should come out; I'm guessing
it unscrews. The outer "flanged" piece may unscrew too.
Doing it without damage may be a problem. I would think of
stuffing a deep socket inside the pipe to prevent it being
crushed while turning the outside with wrench/plier. Maybe
wrap with heavy cloth/plastic.

Yes, in my PF, the outer trim piece unscrews. This gives much
more room to get at the inner valve workings.

lee

Do you mean that pipe'ish thing that covers the diverter seat, stem, and the
2 brass nuts?

I'll give it a shot tommorrow, I don't want to risk busting something then
not being able to take a shower right before I go to work.

Each mfr had distinct ways of doing things, thus the
dozens and dozens of faucet varieties.

Posted to alt.home.repair
lee_houston

Do you mean that pipe'ish thing that covers the diverter seat, stem, and
the 2 brass nuts?

The outermost piece with the shiny finish that extends back and flares out
on the shower wall. It was only hand tight in my experience.

lee

I'll give it a shot tommorrow, I don't want to risk busting something then
not being able to take a shower right before I go to work.

Each mfr had distinct ways of doing things, thus the
dozens and dozens of faucet varieties.

Fixing a broken shower handle matt p Home Repair 5 November 14th 05 07:30 PM
Shower Handle Question nr Home Repair 4 February 3rd 05 11:32 AM
p*ss poor flow rate to newly installed shower John UK diy 5 November 25th 03 04:42 PM
Shower pump, whole bathroom? Simon Avery UK diy 13 November 25th 03 10:09 AM
Problem with dripping tub / shower diverter Tamsen Home Repair 1 November 5th 03 08:36 AM