Posted to alt.home.repair
Abby Normal

Default Honda Generator problem

Hi all...picked up an old Honda em2200x generator. It runs and has an
output, but I'm having trouble with it. With a small (2-3 amp) load on it,
I'll read voltage just fine (120volts) and the generator will run the load
just fine. But if I hook a large load like 10-15 amps up to it, the
generator output drops to 42 volts and the breaker will trip.

Any help would be great!
Thanks..

Posted to alt.home.repair
Abby Normal

Nevermind.....it's working just fine. I guess it just isnt able to handle a
small wire feed welder. The welder is rated at 13 amps, but the start up
current when beginning to weld must be too great for the genny. I just had
20 amps consisting of a few 500w floodlights and a circ. saw plugged into
the generator, and it worked just fine.

Too bad cause I was really hoping to be able to use the genny with the
welder...but 99% of my welding is done at home in the garage, so it's not a
huge deal.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Thomas Kendrick

I have that generator and also have a 110 volt wirefeed welder. The
welder does not even like to share a household circuit with any other
load. I always look for a washing machine circuit (dedicated) to power
it elsewhere. It should work on a 20 amp dedicated circuit just fine.

Air compressors are another limitation of the generator. The generator
will start it OK with an empty air tank. Once the compressor shuts
off, the generator cannot restart it against the load of a partially
filled tank.