Posted to alt.home.repair
higgledy

Default Oxalic acid

I have read that deck cleaners are basically Oxalic acid. Being the
cheap-skate that I am does anyone know where can I buy Oxalic acid to
clean my deck?

Posted to alt.home.repair
professorpaul

higgledy wrote:
I have read that deck cleaners are basically Oxalic acid. Being the
cheap-skate that I am does anyone know where can I buy Oxalic acid to
clean my deck?

My experience (and by the smell), is that they are nothing more than
sodium hyprchlorite -- simple BLEACH. Just use that. I've used it in
both as a spray with my power washer (best strategy), or with a bonnet
scubber (for carpets). The issue is killing the algae off. I have found
that once a year does the trick nicely. The power washer (Karcher) is
the best investment I've ever made. Useful for all sorts of heavy
cleaning jobs.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

"higgledy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have read that deck cleaners are basically Oxalic acid. Being the
cheap-skate that I am does anyone know where can I buy Oxalic acid to
clean my deck?

I used pool shock to clean mine worked better than the deck cleaner I
bought. But it did stink. I threw a bag in a 5 gal. bucket used a broom to
ably it, scrubbed it in, let it soak then hosed it off.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch

higgledy writes:

I have read that deck cleaners are basically Oxalic acid. Being the
cheap-skate that I am does anyone know where can I buy Oxalic acid to
clean my deck?

Paint store, or paint dept at Home Depot or Lowes.

Toxic stuff, so read and heed the warnings.

Entirely different mode of action from chlorine bleach others are
suggesting.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Stubby

Your response is totally wrong. Just Google "Oxalic Acid" and you
will see the difference from bleach.

professorpaul wrote:
higgledy wrote:
I have read that deck cleaners are basically Oxalic acid. Being the
cheap-skate that I am does anyone know where can I buy Oxalic acid to
clean my deck?

My experience (and by the smell), is that they are nothing more than
sodium hyprchlorite -- simple BLEACH. Just use that. I've used it in
both as a spray with my power washer (best strategy), or with a bonnet
scubber (for carpets). The issue is killing the algae off. I have found
that once a year does the trick nicely. The power washer (Karcher) is
the best investment I've ever made. Useful for all sorts of heavy
cleaning jobs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

higgledy wrote:
I have read that deck cleaners are basically Oxalic acid. Being the
cheap-skate that I am does anyone know where can I buy Oxalic acid to
clean my deck?

Oxalic acid is a wood bleach and is toxic-posinios. Requires special
handling.
I would not recommend it.
Go to a paint store they will carry a cleaner which I believe is
called Tri-sodium
Sulphate or phosphate. They will know which. It is an exellent cleaner.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stubby

TSP was for many years the standard high octane cleaner. It worked
fine. But then the environmentalists decided it might be harmful and it
was removed from the market.

Oxalic acid is not as dangerous as the posters stated. It is the
active ingredient in "Bartenders' Friend" and "Stainless Steel Cleaner"
(spray). I use the latter to clean the permanganate ring on my toilets.

wrote:
higgledy wrote:
I have read that deck cleaners are basically Oxalic acid. Being the
cheap-skate that I am does anyone know where can I buy Oxalic acid to
clean my deck?

Oxalic acid is a wood bleach and is toxic-posinios. Requires special
handling.
I would not recommend it.
Go to a paint store they will carry a cleaner which I believe is
called Tri-sodium
Sulphate or phosphate. They will know which. It is an exellent cleaner.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Salmon Egg

On 6/9/06 4:05 PM, in article ,
"Richard J Kinch" wrote:

higgledy writes:

I have read that deck cleaners are basically Oxalic acid. Being the
cheap-skate that I am does anyone know where can I buy Oxalic acid to
clean my deck?

Paint store, or paint dept at Home Depot or Lowes.

Toxic stuff, so read and heed the warnings.

Entirely different mode of action from chlorine bleach others are
suggesting.

IIRC from my youth, there was a product called okite or okonite or something
like that that was primarily oxalic acid.

It is found in rhubarb. You can taste it. The leaves are trimmed in stores
to get rid of most of it.

It is what used to be a common chemical. With the DEA, liability problems,
and the general momma knows best Government, it is more difficult to get
such chemicals.

Bill

-- Ferme le Bush

Posted to alt.home.repair

You may also be able to get it at a drugstore. Oxalic acid can be run
through your dishwasher to remove discoloration.

Posted to alt.home.repair
J. Clarke

Stubby wrote:

TSP was for many years the standard high octane cleaner. It worked
fine. But then the environmentalists decided it might be harmful and it
was removed from the market.

You might want to tell Home Depot that.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Posted to alt.home.repair
higgledy

Stubby:

They did the same thing with clear kreosoot, used to preserve wood
before painting. It was bad for the environment so they replaced it
with vinyl wood. Makes sense, uh?

wrote:
higgledy wrote:
I have read that deck cleaners are basically Oxalic acid. Being the
cheap-skate that I am does anyone know where can I buy Oxalic acid to
clean my deck?

Oxalic acid is a wood bleach and is toxic-posinios. Requires special
handling.
I would not recommend it.
Go to a paint store they will carry a cleaner which I believe is
called Tri-sodium
Sulphate or phosphate. They will know which. It is an exellent cleaner.

Posted to alt.home.repair
higgledy

I swear HD, Wal-Mart, and the like remove such basic cleaners only so
they can sell higher priced branded cleaners. In fact, I bet retailers
are part of the environmental lobby in DC.

wrote:
higgledy wrote:
I have read that deck cleaners are basically Oxalic acid. Being the
cheap-skate that I am does anyone know where can I buy Oxalic acid to
clean my deck?

Oxalic acid is a wood bleach and is toxic-posinios. Requires special
handling.
I would not recommend it.
Go to a paint store they will carry a cleaner which I believe is
called Tri-sodium
Sulphate or phosphate. They will know which. It is an exellent cleaner.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Stubby wrote:

TSP was for many years the standard high octane cleaner. It worked
fine. But then the environmentalists decided it might be harmful and it
was removed from the market.

You might want to tell Home Depot that.

I just bought a box of TSP about 3 days ago from Lowes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

Ralph Mowery wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Stubby wrote:

TSP was for many years the standard high octane cleaner. It worked
fine. But then the environmentalists decided it might be harmful and it
was removed from the market.

You might want to tell Home Depot that.

I just bought a box of TSP about 3 days ago from Lowes.

Are you sure that's what you bought? There seem to be a number of
products that say in big letters "T.S.P." and then in very small letters
"substitute". Might want to check to be sure.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair
J. Clarke

Pete C. wrote:

Ralph Mowery wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Stubby wrote:

TSP was for many years the standard high octane cleaner. It worked
fine. But then the environmentalists decided it might be harmful and
it was removed from the market.

You might want to tell Home Depot that.

I just bought a box of TSP about 3 days ago from Lowes.

Are you sure that's what you bought? There seem to be a number of
products that say in big letters "T.S.P." and then in very small letters
"substitute". Might want to check to be sure.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001IKY7A/104-0470435-5525517?v=glance&n=228013

Now it might be that you live in the People's Republic of Leftcoastia or
some other workers' paradise in which trisodium phosphate is banned, but
that doesn't mean that the rest of us who live in the real world are so
unfortunate.

Pete C.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones

higgledy wrote:
I have read that deck cleaners are basically Oxalic acid. Being the
cheap-skate that I am does anyone know where can I buy Oxalic acid to
clean my deck?

Oxalic acid is for cleaning cedar and redwood decks, not treated pine.

For treated pine, the standard chemical used to be sodium hypochlorite
(common household bleach). Many people still use that, but a lot of
experts are starting to recommend against it, because the chlorine can
damage the wood. It attacks the lignin in the wood and weakens the
wood surface structure.

A lot of the home improvement gurus now recommend sodium percarbonate,
which when added to water turns into hydrogen peroxide (oxygen bleach)
and sodium carbonate (washing soda - remember the old Arm and Hammer
washing soda that you used to be able to buy in the laundry aisle?).
The combination is an effective deck cleaner and brightener which does
not damage the wood and is very safe to use.

You can buy 2-pound jars of pure sodium percarbonate at
thechemistrystore.com for about two bucks a pound, plus shipping. Or
you can buy a bucket of "Oxy Clean" at the supermarket - it's the same
thing except its not 100% sodium percarbonate - it contains a large
percentage of sodium carbonate filler which is a less expensive
chemical.

You can also buy a bucket of Tri Sodium Phosphate (TSP) and throw a
couple of ounces it in a bucket of warm water together with some
household bleach to create a very effective deck cleaning solution, if
you don't believe the warnings about using chlorine-based bleaches on
wood.

You can also buy a bucket of oxalic acid there too.

Please note that oxalic acid IS a toxin to humans. It can be absorbed
through the skin. Use with care.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff

Easier solution, use dish washer detergent and add some bleach if you want.

"higgledy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have read that deck cleaners are basically Oxalic acid. Being the
cheap-skate that I am does anyone know where can I buy Oxalic acid to
clean my deck?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch

Salmon Egg writes:

It is what used to be a common chemical. With the DEA, liability
problems, and the general momma knows best Government, it is more
difficult to get such chemicals.

Difficult? I would say easier than ever. It's on the shelf at the
retailers I mentioned.

The labeling of common chemicals with brand names that try to hide what is
in the product is more of a reason that things like oxalic acid *appear* to
have disappeared. You won't find a package of MSG in the grocery store,
but you will find Accent.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

In article .com, "Ether Jones" wrote:

A lot of the home improvement gurus now recommend sodium percarbonate,
which when added to water turns into hydrogen peroxide (oxygen bleach)
and sodium carbonate (washing soda - remember the old Arm and Hammer
washing soda that you used to be able to buy in the laundry aisle?).
The combination is an effective deck cleaner and brightener which does
not damage the wood and is very safe to use.

Why not just buy hydrogen peroxide and washing soda, and mix them? They're
both readily available, cheap as dirt, and bound to be less expensive and
easier to find than sodium percarbonate.

If you only "used to" be able to buy washing soda in the laundry aisle, either
you're shopping in the wrong stores (e.g. Wal-Mart), or you're not looking
very hard. I don't have any trouble at all finding washing soda in the laundry
aisle of my neighborhood Kroger grocery store.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob G.

On 9 Jun 2006 15:44:11 -0700, "higgledy" wrote:

I have read that deck cleaners are basically Oxalic acid. Being the
cheap-skate that I am does anyone know where can I buy Oxalic acid to
clean my deck?

Any sail boats in your area? Oxalic acid was (if it still is not)
the bleaching agent of choice among sialboat owners for cleaning their
sails...
When I lived in the Annapolis area of Maryland every Drugstore sold it
and every marina had it in stock in many sizes... Drugstores should be
able to order it for you in any part of the country... Also works
well on convertible vinyl tops...you just have to have the hose
ready...LOL

Bob G.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones

Doug Miller wrote:

Why not just buy hydrogen peroxide and washing soda, and mix them?

Sure. The result would be the same.

They're both readily available, cheap as dirt, and bound to be less expensive

When you say hydrogen peroxide is "readily available" and "cheap as
dirt" I of course think of those brown plastic 16oz bottles they sell
everywhere, from WalMart to Walgreens. There are two problems:

1) That's only a 3% solution. You would have to use it full strength.
So, not sure it would much cheaper, if at all.

2) The reason it's in a brown plastic bottle is that it's unstable.
Has a short shelf life. The powdered sodium percarbonate keeps much
longer, as long as you keep the lid on it to keep the moisture out.

You can buy much stronger hydrogen peroxide at some pool and spa supply
stores, but it's expensive - and at high concentrations is somewhat
dangerous to handle.

and easier to find than sodium percarbonate.

Sodium percarbonate is easy to find. It's the active ingredient in
OxyClean and other oxygen-based cleaners which line the supermarket
shelves (but as I said, those products contain a lot of filler - they
are not 100% sodium percarbonate). Most pool and spa stores carry
"oxygen shock" which is sodium percarbonate. Many mail-order places
sell it. Type the words "oxygen" and "deck" and "bleach" into your
internet search engine, and you'll get hundreds of hits.

If you only "used to" be able to buy washing soda in the laundry aisle, either
you're shopping in the wrong stores (e.g. Wal-Mart), or you're not looking
very hard. I don't have any trouble at all finding washing soda in the laundry
aisle of my neighborhood Kroger grocery store.

WalMart and Meijer used to carry it in their laundry products aisle but
they no longer do. I also checked two or three other chain stores and
they don't carry it either. Haven't checked Kroger yet - but I will.
While I'm there, I'll also look for "20 mule team Borax" which WalMart
also stopped stocking (I've had good results using a Borax and vinegar
solution for spraying on treated pine and vinyl siding to
prevent/destroy mildew and algae).

Speaking of WalMart, is it just my wild imagination, or do I sense a
slight change in their business model? Besides Arm and Hammer Washing
Soda and 20 Mule Team Borax, there are other low-volume products I have
seen disappear from their shelves recently. In the past, I had the
impression they wanted to be all things to all people. Now lately I
seem to perceive a trend to eliminate some of the low-volume stuff.
They may save a nickel in the near term, but people may start to
re-discover other stores. That may be a good thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

Ether Jones wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

[...]

What other stores? Mal Wart ran them out of business.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones

Stubby wrote:

Oxalic acid is not as dangerous as the posters stated

How dangerous do you think it is, then?

Type the words "oxalic acid" and "poisonous" into your search engine,
read the articles, and judge for yourself.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Salmon Egg

On 6/9/06 10:32 PM, in article ,
"Richard J Kinch" wrote:

Salmon Egg writes:

It is what used to be a common chemical. With the DEA, liability
problems, and the general momma knows best Government, it is more
difficult to get such chemicals.

Difficult? I would say easier than ever. It's on the shelf at the
retailers I mentioned.

The labeling of common chemicals with brand names that try to hide what is
in the product is more of a reason that things like oxalic acid *appear* to
have disappeared. You won't find a package of MSG in the grocery store,
but you will find Accent.

I do not deny that there are many chemicals out there disguised as home
products. You just need to know what is what.

For example, concentrated sulfuric acid is available as drain cleaner at
most hardware stores. As a chemical from a scientific supply house, it is
almost impossible to buy. Aside from charging a lot. In addition to ordinary
shipping costs, firms like UPS charges an extra $25 hazardous shipping
costs. Even so, a company Wilkem Scientific would not ship chemicals to me
personally because of liabilty. I was able to get a particular pH meter from
Wilkem not available from other suppliers because of DEA restrictions.

Bill
-- Ferme le Bush

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Stubby wrote:

TSP was for many years the standard high octane cleaner. It worked
fine. But then the environmentalists decided it might be harmful and it
was removed from the market.

You might want to tell Home Depot that.

I just bought a box of TSP about 3 days ago from Lowes.

Of course! It was never removed from the market,
but the amount of phosphate was reduced or
eliminated in many products a with concern for
increasing algae growth in many water ways.

Lowes, here, ran out at the time I needed some, so
they order some for me. Luckly I checked at a
local paint store and bought the same size box for
about $1 less.

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Pete C. wrote:
Ralph Mowery wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Stubby wrote:

TSP was for many years the standard high octane cleaner. It worked
fine. But then the environmentalists decided it might be harmful and it
was removed from the market.
You might want to tell Home Depot that.

I just bought a box of TSP about 3 days ago from Lowes.

Are you sure that's what you bought? There seem to be a number of
products that say in big letters "T.S.P." and then in very small letters
"substitute". Might want to check to be sure.

Pete C.

Yep you can get sucked into buying the silicate
product if you don't carefully read the box.
Personally I think it is fraud to call the
silicate product TSP, design the box to look like
the actual TSP product, and then put "substitute"
in small letter. But, actual TSP is still sold.

OTOH, the silicate product (substitute TSP)
washes off more easily than TSP, but
it also clean a little less well than TSP. Take
you choice.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery

"Pete C." wrote in message
Ralph Mowery wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Stubby wrote:

TSP was for many years the standard high octane cleaner. It worked
fine. But then the environmentalists decided it might be harmful

and it
was removed from the market.

You might want to tell Home Depot that.

I just bought a box of TSP about 3 days ago from Lowes.

Are you sure that's what you bought? There seem to be a number of
products that say in big letters "T.S.P." and then in very small letters
"substitute". Might want to check to be sure.

I checked it today and no where on it could I see anything to indicate it
was not the real TSP.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Hard

On 9 Jun 2006 15:44:11 -0700, "higgledy" wrote:

I have read that deck cleaners are basically Oxalic acid. Being the
cheap-skate that I am does anyone know where can I buy Oxalic acid to
clean my deck?

If you want acid, you need to find a drug dealer. Be aware this is an
illegal drug. Once you get the acid, drop a few hits, wait till you
get off, then enjoy cleaning your dick.
Posted to alt.home.repair
J. Clarke

higgledy wrote:

Don Hard wrote:
On 9 Jun 2006 15:44:11 -0700, "higgledy" wrote:

I have read that deck cleaners are basically Oxalic acid. Being the
cheap-skate that I am does anyone know where can I buy Oxalic acid to
clean my deck?

If you want acid, you need to find a drug dealer. Be aware this is an
illegal drug. Once you get the acid, drop a few hits, wait till you
get off, then enjoy cleaning your dick.

This varies by state.

Have some coffee and read that post again.

Oxalic Acid Dwight News Home Repair 6 August 30th 05 09:58 PM
How to use Oxalic acid, and what about oxygenated water? Grunff UK diy 28 January 10th 05 10:46 AM
Salt and vinegar for rust removal Paul O. Woodworking 89 May 21st 04 10:20 PM
Electropolishing recipes, version two Carl Ijames Metalworking 3 April 19th 04 02:25 AM
whats the diff between hss and tool steel Damned if i know Metalworking 4 March 24th 04 06:04 AM