Posted to alt.home.repair
davex1001

Default Reciprocating Saw

Hello. I'm shopping for a reciprocating saw. Naturally I don't want
to spend a lot of money. What should I look for? Is one brand better
than another??

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
badgolferman

davex1001, 6/9/2006, 9:38:19 AM,
.com wrote:

Hello. I'm shopping for a reciprocating saw. Naturally I don't want
to spend a lot of money. What should I look for? Is one brand better
than another??

Thanks.

I bought one from Harbor Freight for $19.99. The amount I have used it
already has paid for itself. If you are not a professional it should
work fine for you too.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4095
Posted to alt.home.repair
No

davex1001 wrote:
Hello. I'm shopping for a reciprocating saw. Naturally I don't want
to spend a lot of money. What should I look for? Is one brand better
than another??

Thanks.

The harbor freight ones are disposable. If you want one you can will to
the grandkids get a Milwaukee Super Sawzall, nothing compares.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Cato

--On Friday, June 9, 2006 4:38 PM +0200 No wrote:

davex1001 wrote:
Hello. I'm shopping for a reciprocating saw. Naturally I don't want
to spend a lot of money. What should I look for? Is one brand better
than another??

Thanks.

The harbor freight ones are disposable. If you want one you can will to
the grandkids get a Milwaukee Super Sawzall, nothing compares.

I have to agree. Sometimes buying a tool on the cheap is penny wise and
pound foolish. If you want a saw that's going to last, I'd second the
Milwaukee suggestion. Sawzall is synonymous with reciprocating saws for a
reason. Good luck with your purchase.
Posted to alt.home.repair

No wrote:
The harbor freight ones are disposable. If you want one you can will to
the grandkids get a Milwaukee Super Sawzall, nothing compares.

I wouldn't trust my grandkids with a butter knife. (^_^)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

davex1001 wrote:
Hello. I'm shopping for a reciprocating saw. Naturally I don't want
to spend a lot of money. What should I look for? Is one brand better
than another??

Thanks.

As you can tell from the responses, what is best depends on your planed
use and needs. If it is going to be used professionally, then go for the
Milwaukee Super Sawzall. Likewise if you need reliability and quality. If
you need it for a rare non-demanding job, then you don't need that, the
cheap Harbor Freight job may be fine.

I have a DeWalt cordless model. It has meet my needs, but I don't have
demanding or a lot of needs.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"davex1001" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello. I'm shopping for a reciprocating saw. Naturally I don't want
to spend a lot of money. What should I look for? Is one brand better
than another??

First of all, congratulations for using the proper terminology. Very few
people seem to know what a recip saw is.

If you want the best, you still can't beat the original Milwaukee brand,
Sawzall. For occasional use, I've used Porter Cable and Craftsman and they
performed well. I've not price them lately, but for a ten or a twenty, go
with Sawzall. If you are using it for one small job and the price is $100
less, I'd go with what was on sale.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

davex1001 wrote:

What else is it called??

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"davex1001" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello. I'm shopping for a reciprocating saw. Naturally I don't want
to spend a lot of money. What should I look for? Is one brand better
than another??

First of all, congratulations for using the proper terminology. Very few
people seem to know what a recip saw is.

If you want the best, you still can't beat the original Milwaukee brand,
Sawzall. For occasional use, I've used Porter Cable and Craftsman and they
performed well. I've not price them lately, but for a ten or a twenty, go
with Sawzall. If you are using it for one small job and the price is $100
less, I'd go with what was on sale.

Sawzall (tm), demo saw, probably others.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

"davex1001" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello. I'm shopping for a reciprocating saw. Naturally I don't want
to spend a lot of money. What should I look for? Is one brand better
than another??

Thanks.

I saw a Ryobi electric reciprocating saw at Home Depot a few months ago for
$59.00. For part time use by a homeowner it is not a bad way to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No

davex1001 wrote:
What else is it called??

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"davex1001" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello. I'm shopping for a reciprocating saw. Naturally I don't want
to spend a lot of money. What should I look for? Is one brand better
than another??

First of all, congratulations for using the proper terminology. Very few
people seem to know what a recip saw is.

If you want the best, you still can't beat the original Milwaukee brand,
Sawzall. For occasional use, I've used Porter Cable and Craftsman and they
performed well. I've not price them lately, but for a ten or a twenty, go
with Sawzall. If you are using it for one small job and the price is $100
less, I'd go with what was on sale.

Its properly called a reciprocating saw

People generically call it a sawzall.

I have heard it incorrectly called
jigsaw
saber saw
saw

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan K

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"davex1001" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello. I'm shopping for a reciprocating saw. Naturally I don't want
to spend a lot of money. What should I look for? Is one brand better
than another??

Thanks.

I saw a Ryobi electric reciprocating saw at Home Depot a few months ago
for
$59.00. For part time use by a homeowner it is not a bad way to go.

I had two Milwaukee's that I never did like, but Milwaukee is the best,
right?. Got a Dewalt a while back and love it. Not sure what the
difference is, the Dewalt just seems to "feel" better.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steven L Umbach

Milwaukee is probably the best though any of the popular premium brand names
are very good. Right now Toolking has a Dewalt 10.5 amp reconditioned
reciprocating saw on sale for $59 as shown in the link below. That is a
great deal on a powerful well built reciprocating saw. Reconditioned power
tools are usually the ones that the purchaser returns in like new condition
during the 30 day or so trial period and have a warranty - usually the same
warranty as new. They go back to the factory to be checked over, repaired if
necessary, and then sold as reconditioned. I have four reconditioned tools
that all look and work like new [two Bosch, one Makita, and one Milwaukee].

http://www.toolking.com/productinfo.aspx?productID=179

"davex1001" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello. I'm shopping for a reciprocating saw. Naturally I don't want
to spend a lot of money. What should I look for? Is one brand better
than another??

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Thomas Kendrick

Look for a refurbished Super Sawzall to keep the price down. I have a
PC Tiger Saw that I lend out so I can keep the SS.

On 9 Jun 2006 16:38:00 +0200, No wrote:
The harbor freight ones are disposable. If you want one you can will to
the grandkids get a Milwaukee Super Sawzall, nothing compares.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Gill

badgolferman wrote:

I bought one from Harbor Freight for $19.99. The amount I have used it
already has paid for itself. If you are not a professional it should
work fine for you too.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4095

That's what I did, and so far I have been happy with it.
The one thing I will say is don't buy the blade pack.
Go somewhere else and buy good quality blades.

Bill Gill

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob G.

davex1001 wrote:
Hello. I'm shopping for a reciprocating saw. Naturally I don't want
to spend a lot of money. What should I look for? Is one brand better
than another??

Thanks.

The harbor freight ones are disposable. If you want one you can will to
the grandkids get a Milwaukee Super Sawzall, nothing compares.

LOL....But to be honest its true...
My Milwaukee swwsal was a hand me down from my father ...and I am 62
years old... the odds of it ending up in my sons shop are honestly
pretty good...

Bob G.
BTW I purchased a Roybi 18 V battery powered one to use and keep at
the "farm" ...did not last one summer...wasted money...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob G.

I had two Milwaukee's that I never did like, but Milwaukee is the best,
right?. Got a Dewalt a while back and love it. Not sure what the
difference is, the Dewalt just seems to "feel" better.

This is my second post in the thread... and while I own a Milwaukee
your point is extremely important... how a tool "feels" in you hand
and how well it balances in you hand is very very important... My
cordless drills are for the most part purchased my "feel" ....

Bob G.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 16:07:12 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

davex1001 wrote:
Hello. I'm shopping for a reciprocating saw. Naturally I don't want
to spend a lot of money. What should I look for? Is one brand better
than another??

Thanks.

As you can tell from the responses, what is best depends on your planed
use and needs. If it is going to be used professionally, then go for the
Milwaukee Super Sawzall. Likewise if you need reliability and quality. If
you need it for a rare non-demanding job, then you don't need that, the

I don't think I need a Sawzall, just a Sawsabit.