Posted to alt.home.repair
Buck Turgidson

Default Sewer Drain Access Pipe

My mother has a 4" PVC pipe and cap (sewer access I assume) protruding about
2' above grade, that is both unsightly, and in the way of a new patio.

Do most codes require a standard height above ground for these? We'd like
to cut it down, so that she can at least put a bench over it

Posted to alt.home.repair

Buck Turgidson wrote:
My mother has a 4" PVC pipe and cap (sewer access I assume) protruding about
2' above grade, that is both unsightly, and in the way of a new patio.

Do most codes require a standard height above ground for these? We'd like
to cut it down, so that she can at least put a bench over it

yeah sadly they probably require it a little above ground

how deep is it? I had one and extended the line away from the sidewalk
it was a big trip hazard. most sewer lines are 18 inches deep or more
so they arent hit with shovels....

consider some elbows etc to move it out of the way.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Buck Turgidson wrote:
My mother has a 4" PVC pipe and cap (sewer access I assume) protruding about
2' above grade, that is both unsightly, and in the way of a new patio.

Do most codes require a standard height above ground for these? We'd like
to cut it down, so that she can at least put a bench over it

Charleston SC doesn't have, or doesn't enforce any height above grade.
My impulse is to ask the Building Official office.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
My mother has a 4" PVC pipe and cap (sewer access I assume) protruding
about 2' above grade, that is both unsightly, and in the way of a new
patio.

Do most codes require a standard height above ground for these? We'd like
to cut it down, so that she can at least put a bench over it

It should be in a access box the pipe should have a female treaded end with
a plug. The box should be set at grade and the pipe below grade. It's called
a clean out, it's for rooter access. this is the type of box

http://www.shop.com/op/aprod-p37950536?sourceid=13

Posted to alt.home.repair
pipedown

"Sacramento Dave" wrote in message
. com...

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
My mother has a 4" PVC pipe and cap (sewer access I assume) protruding
about 2' above grade, that is both unsightly, and in the way of a new
patio.

Do most codes require a standard height above ground for these? We'd
like to cut it down, so that she can at least put a bench over it

It should be in a access box the pipe should have a female treaded end
with a plug. The box should be set at grade and the pipe below grade. It's
called a clean out, it's for rooter access. this is the type of box

http://www.shop.com/op/aprod-p37950536?sourceid=13

Like that but round and made of concrete. Plumbers and such often just call
them "Christy boxes" for the most common company who makes them.
http://www.christyconcrete.com/valve...catalog_1.html

The cap to mine is 4" below grade and covered with such a box. Call the
city for requirements, your location and climate might justify a local
variance to the norm Do you get floods? for example, this might prevent
runoff from inundating the sanitary sewer system particularly if it is
separate from the storm drains. Usually sealing the cleanout with a
thread-on cap is sufficient at any level.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That pipe is probably a vent for the main sewer trapdoes it have a
solid cover or one with openings?

if a vent it must be above ground level so flooding heavy rain cant get
in the sanitary sewer.

best approach is relocate it, a simple job opther than digging it up

Leaking Soil Pipe? andrewpreece UK diy 8 July 29th 05 05:13 PM
pvc to drain pipe connect problem zackde Home Repair 4 April 21st 05 11:40 PM
Water heater pressure relief value drip Remove dots from userid to reply Home Repair 29 May 17th 04 07:46 PM
Solution to sewer tree root problem? jeff Home Repair 20 September 7th 03 12:36 PM
driveway storm drain getting clogged with dirt Rachel Smith Home Repair 1 August 26th 03 09:14 AM