Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark

Default Why is caulking coming off?

I caulked the joint between the bathtub and the ceramic tile surrounding it
about 3 months ago. I used an siliconized latex caulk which was recommended
to me. And I did a very good job of cleaning the area before caulking, and
I used denatured alcohol as a final cleaning agents also.

Now, 3 months later, it appears that the caulking is not sticking well to
the ceramic tile nor the tub, for that matter. In some areas, it's just
loose and in other areas it appears to be lengthening and hence little
curls/bulges every inch or so for about 6 inches.

I'm about to remove all of the caulking and use 100% silicone caulking this
time.

Before I do so, does anyone have any idea what is wrong?

--

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

Mark wrote:
I caulked the joint between the bathtub and the ceramic tile surrounding it
about 3 months ago. I used an siliconized latex caulk which was recommended
to me. And I did a very good job of cleaning the area before caulking, and
I used denatured alcohol as a final cleaning agents also.

Now, 3 months later, it appears that the caulking is not sticking well to
the ceramic tile nor the tub, for that matter. In some areas, it's just
loose and in other areas it appears to be lengthening and hence little
curls/bulges every inch or so for about 6 inches.

I'm about to remove all of the caulking and use 100% silicone caulking this
time.

Before I do so, does anyone have any idea what is wrong?

--

Mark

Caulk has an expiration date, yes it does go bad. Silicone is the only
way to go in a shower.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JGolan

Mark wrote:
I caulked the joint between the bathtub and the ceramic tile surrounding it
about 3 months ago. I used an siliconized latex caulk which was recommended
to me. And I did a very good job of cleaning the area before caulking, and
I used denatured alcohol as a final cleaning agents also.

Now, 3 months later, it appears that the caulking is not sticking well to
the ceramic tile nor the tub, for that matter. In some areas, it's just
loose and in other areas it appears to be lengthening and hence little
curls/bulges every inch or so for about 6 inches.

I'm about to remove all of the caulking and use 100% silicone caulking this
time.

Before I do so, does anyone have any idea what is wrong?

--

Mark

When you redo it again, put about 1/2 fill of water into the tub, and
let it cure before you let the water out. This allow the seal to be
installed while weight is in there.

Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

JGolan wrote:
Mark wrote:
[...]

OP-

I use PolySeamSeal brand caulking, this stuff never lets me down. It
is water clean up & can easily be tooled with a wet finger.

The suggestion of adding weight to the tub is a good one. Some
alcohols have other trace ingredients that might effect adhesion

Since the caulk appears to be "growing", are there any bathroom
cleaning agents in use that might be attacking the caulk.

Silicone is really good stuff but IMO it's a bitch to tool, clean up &
remove........I only use it when PolySeamSeal caulking will not do the
job.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Brian V

"Mark" wrote in message
ink.net...
I caulked the joint between the bathtub and the ceramic tile surrounding it
about 3 months ago. I used an siliconized latex caulk which was
recommended to me. And I did a very good job of cleaning the area before
caulking, and I used denatured alcohol as a final cleaning agents also.

Now, 3 months later, it appears that the caulking is not sticking well to
the ceramic tile nor the tub, for that matter. In some areas, it's just
loose and in other areas it appears to be lengthening and hence little
curls/bulges every inch or so for about 6 inches.

I'm about to remove all of the caulking and use 100% silicone caulking
this time.

Before I do so, does anyone have any idea what is wrong?

--

Did you have the tub full of water when you applied the caulk? If not, that
could be a cause of it. When a tub fills it does settle a bit, with some

Second possibility is that the caulk was old, there are expirations.

Best bet, GE Silicone II Kitchen/Bath caulk. Clean all the old off, then
clean it again. Fill the tub. Dry all the edges and let it air dry for a
while. Apply the new caulk keeping the tub full for a minimum of over night
(longer if possible).

Good luck

Posted to alt.home.repair

Does a cast iron tub settle? I could see a cheap fiberglass one
settling a lot, but what about cast iron?

Shower Pan - Wall caulking questions ...??? Jim McLaughlin Home Repair 2 March 9th 06 08:32 PM
Where is all the black stuff coming from? David WE Roberts UK diy 11 March 8th 06 09:50 PM
can I remove this vent coming out of our roof? spoon2001 Home Repair 6 March 7th 06 03:19 AM
Bathroom caulking Say_what Home Repair 0 January 28th 05 04:04 AM
Rainwater Coming Out Of Airbrick in a Capped Chimney BigWallop UK diy 1 July 17th 03 02:05 AM