Posted to alt.home.repair
AKA Gray Asphalt

Default dog crap makes lawn green

What is is that makes the lawn green around the edges of dog crap? Nitrogen?
I wonder if anyone has ever stirred up some crap diluted with water and
spread it on a lawn. It seems to be better than whatever else people use and
the green seems to stay for a long time around the dead center of the
ex-crap.

Posted to alt.home.repair
J. Clarke

AKA Gray Asphalt wrote:

What is is that makes the lawn green around the edges of dog crap?
Nitrogen? I wonder if anyone has ever stirred up some crap diluted with
water and spread it on a lawn. It seems to be better than whatever else
people use and the green seems to stay for a long time around the dead
center of the ex-crap.

Google "manure".

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy

AKA Gray Asphalt wrote:
What is is that makes the lawn green around the edges of dog crap? Nitrogen?
I wonder if anyone has ever stirred up some crap diluted with water and
spread it on a lawn. It seems to be better than whatever else people use and
the green seems to stay for a long time around the dead center of the
ex-crap.

Andy writes:
Same effect as the grass being really green over your septic tank
drainfield
(if you have one).

You can harness this effect by using a porta-potty instead of you
bathroom
toilet, and emptying it on your yard where you want to enhance the
grass.... Just don't tell anyone.....

")))) Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Sure mix it with water and spray it on everything, you your neighbors
and flies will love the smell.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PanHandler

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...

You can harness this effect by using a porta-potty instead of you
bathroom
toilet, and emptying it on your yard where you want to enhance the
grass.... Just don't tell anyone.....

They won't have to be told.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

AKA Gray Asphalt wrote:
What is is that makes the lawn green around the edges of dog crap? Nitrogen?
I wonder if anyone has ever stirred up some crap diluted with water and
spread it on a lawn. It seems to be better than whatever else people use and
the green seems to stay for a long time around the dead center of the
ex-crap.

Hi,
Now you know. Your own crap will do the same, LOL.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 22:57:43 -0700, "AKA Gray Asphalt"
wrote:

What is is that makes the lawn green around the edges of dog crap? Nitrogen?
I wonder if anyone has ever stirred up some crap diluted with water and
spread it on a lawn. It seems to be better than whatever else people use and
the green seems to stay for a long time around the dead center of the
ex-crap.

They sell manure at the garden shop. And if you drive by many farms
at the right time, you can smell it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

They sell manure at the garden shop. And if you drive by many farms
at the right time, you can smell it.

You can always use your own manu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanure

Humanure
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Humanure" is a neologism designating human waste (feces and urine)
that is recycled via composting for agricultural or other purposes. The
term was popularized by The Humanure Handbook, a 1994 book by Joseph
Jenkins that advocates the use of this organic soil amendment.

Humanure is not traditional sewage that has been processed by
waste-treatment facilities, which may include waste from industrial and
other sources; rather, it is the combination of feces and urine with
paper and additional carbon material (such as sawdust). By not
disposing of feces and urine through the typical use of a flush toilet,
nutrients can be returned to the soil instead of polluting the water
table.

Humanure is deemed safe for humans to use on crops as long as it has
been composted properly. This means that thermophilic decomposition of
the humanure must heat it sufficiently to remove or destroy harmful
pathogens, or enough time must have elapsed since fresh manure was
added that biological activity has killed most pathogens. To be safe
for crops, a curing stage is often needed to allow a second mesophilic
phase to reduce phytotoxins.

Humanure is different from night soil, which is raw human refuse spread
on crops.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_soil

Night soil
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Night soil is a euphemistic term for human feces in regards to waste
management, especially in developing nations or in areas that lack
adequate infrastructure to have a sewage system, running water or
septic disposal. In this policy of waste management, the human feces
stays in its solid form, and is excreted into a honey bucket, together
with urine and other waste. Often the deposition occurs within the
residence, such as in a shophouse faced with overpopulation or heavily
isolated rural areas.

The deposition is however generally temporary. In urban areas, usually
slums, a night soil collector will arrive regularly, at varying time
periods depending on the supply and demand for night soil collection.
Usually this occurred during the nighttime, giving the night soil its
name. In isolated rural areas such as in farms, the household will
usually dispose of the night soil themselves, but this practice is
generally not referred to as night soil, though the eventual fate of
the night soil, and style of handling, is similar.

Even particularly wealthy families in some parts of the world during
the 1800s were forced to use the practice of night soil because of the
lack of adequate infrastructure. The term is particularly known, or
even particularly infamous among the generations that were born in
various parts of China or Chinatowns (depending on the development of
the infrastructure) before 1960. Post-World War II Chinatown, Singapore
before the independence of Singapore heavily utilised night soil
collection as a primary means of waste disposal, especially as much of
the infrastructure was damaged and took a long time to rebuild
following the Battle of Singapore and subsequent Japanese Occupation of
Singapore. Following the subsequent development of the economy and the
standard of living after independence, the night soil system in
Singapore is now merely a curious anecdote of colonial rule, as well as
most parts of the People's Republic of China although still present in
some parts of it.

The collection method is generally very manual and heavily relies on
close human contact with the waste. During the Nationalist era when the
Kuomintang ruled mainland China, as well as Chinatown in Singapore, the
night soil collector usually arrived with spare and relatively empty
honey buckets to exchange for the full honey buckets. The method of
transporting the honey buckets from individual households to collection
centres was very similar to delivering water supplies by coolie, with
the exception that the item being transported was not at all potable
and it was being delivered from the household, rather than to the
household. The collector would hang the full honey buckets onto a pole
he carried on his back and then proceeded to carry it through the
streets until he reached the collection point. This was not
unreasonably an unpleasant occupation, and was often done by manual
labourers who had become used to the stench.

After arriving at a collection point, usually as a special treatment
centre within the city, or perhaps an open cesspit, methods on dealing
with the waste varies. The waste may go on being shipped to another
larger centre to be ultimately taken care of, or be disposed of at that
particularly juncture. Generally, the human waste is very attractive as
fertiliser and is used for this purpose because of the high demand for
fertilizer and the relative abundance of night soil. This is a highly
hazardous practice because of the human disease microbes in human
feces. Nevertheless, in developing nations it is a common practice.
Worm infections, such as Ascariasis in these countries are linked to
Night soil, since the larvae are in feces. There have also been cases
of disease-carrying tomatoes, lettuce, and other vegetables being
imported from undeveloped nations into more developed nations. However,
night soil does not necessarily need to be reused as fertiliser and may
be merely be disposed of and remain unused.

The safe reduction of human waste into compost is possible, but fairly
complex. Many municipalities create compost from the city sewage
system, but then recommend that it only be used on flower beds, not
vegetable gardens. Some claims have been made that this is dangerous or
inappropriate without the expensive removal of heavy metals.

India's ancient caste system assigned untouchables with the disposal of
night soil. This "manual scavenging" is now illegal in most Indian
states, although the practice undoubtedly continues in many rural
areas.

The proper disposal or recycling of sewage remains an important
research area that is also highly political

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

wrote:

What is is that makes the lawn green around the edges of dog crap? Nitrogen?
I wonder if anyone has ever stirred up some crap diluted with water and
spread it on a lawn. It seems to be better than whatever else people use and
the green seems to stay for a long time around the dead center of the
ex-crap.

Too much crap makes the grass turn yellow and die, but the right
amount does make it greener.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

wrote:

What is is that makes the lawn green around the edges of dog crap? Nitrogen?
I wonder if anyone has ever stirred up some crap diluted with water and
spread it on a lawn. It seems to be better than whatever else people use and
the green seems to stay for a long time around the dead center of the
ex-crap.

They sell manure at the garden shop. And if you drive by many farms
at the right time, you can smell it.

I can get all I need (mostly from cows) from my farm outside town.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Hines

"AKA Gray Asphalt" wrote:

What is is that makes the lawn green around the edges of dog crap? Nitrogen?

Yep

I wonder if anyone has ever stirred up some crap diluted with water and
spread it on a lawn.

The folks in Milwaukee have been doing it for decades, as "Milorganite",
which is a favorite (see Carl in Caddyshack) of golf course grounds
keepers everywhere.

Good for flowers and other things that grow as well as grass.

--
If I had something to say, this is where I'd say it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

John Hines wrote in
:

"AKA Gray Asphalt" wrote:

What is is that makes the lawn green around the edges of dog crap?
Nitrogen?

Yep

I wonder if anyone has ever stirred up some crap diluted with water
and spread it on a lawn.

The folks in Milwaukee have been doing it for decades, as
"Milorganite",

Probably not -dog- crap,though.
Perhaps "zoo-doo",which I hear is in high demand these days.

which is a favorite (see Carl in Caddyshack) of golf
course grounds keepers everywhere.

Good for flowers and other things that grow as well as grass.

--
If I had something to say, this is where I'd say it.

One thing about animal feces,you can spread parasites and diseases around
easier by using it. Google "zoonosis".
It's dust is also not healthy to inhale.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What is is that makes the lawn green around the edges of dog crap? Nitrogen?
I wonder if anyone has ever stirred up some crap diluted with water and
spread it on a lawn. It seems to be better than whatever else people use and
the green seems to stay for a long time around the dead center of the
ex-crap.

They sell manure at the garden shop. And if you drive by many farms
at the right time, you can smell it.

Chicken poop is a good manure. Supposedly rabbit poop is better, but
it's hard to get if you don't know anybody who raises rabbits.

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Hines

Jim Yanik wrote:

John Hines wrote in
:

"AKA Gray Asphalt" wrote:

What is is that makes the lawn green around the edges of dog crap?
Nitrogen?

Yep

I wonder if anyone has ever stirred up some crap diluted with water
and spread it on a lawn.

The folks in Milwaukee have been doing it for decades, as
"Milorganite",

Probably not -dog- crap,though.

Its people crap.

Perhaps "zoo-doo",which I hear is in high demand these days.

If you have elephants around. That is only available when Ringling
Brothers is in town.

--
If I had something to say, this is where I'd say it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

John Hines wrote:
Jim Yanik wrote:

John Hines wrote in
:

"AKA Gray Asphalt" wrote:

What is is that makes the lawn green around the edges of dog crap?
Nitrogen?

Yep

I wonder if anyone has ever stirred up some crap diluted with water
and spread it on a lawn.

The folks in Milwaukee have been doing it for decades, as
"Milorganite",

Probably not -dog- crap,though.

Its people crap.

Soil-ent brown is poopoo!

Posted to alt.home.repair
AKA Gray Asphalt

I thought that you meant that dog **** was also called 'google manure',
funny but dumb, on my part.

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
AKA Gray Asphalt wrote:

What is is that makes the lawn green around the edges of dog crap?
Nitrogen? I wonder if anyone has ever stirred up some crap diluted with
water and spread it on a lawn. It seems to be better than whatever else
people use and the green seems to stay for a long time around the dead
center of the ex-crap.

Google "manure".

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair
AKA Gray Asphalt

Thanks for all of the technical analysis. I kinda knew that crap was manure.

Crap seems to work better though. And diluted dog crap won't stink worse
than steer manure ... as if lawns don't already have dog crap on them.

wrote:

What is is that makes the lawn green around the edges of dog crap?
Nitrogen?
I wonder if anyone has ever stirred up some crap diluted with water and
spread it on a lawn. It seems to be better than whatever else people use
and
the green seems to stay for a long time around the dead center of the
ex-crap.

They sell manure at the garden shop. And if you drive by many farms
at the right time, you can smell it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
AKA Gray Asphalt

That's the kind of experiment I wish I had the energy and gumption to do.
Congratulations, really.

wrote in message
s.com...
I have a few spots on my lawn that are about 7 inchs in diameter that
are darker green and thicker growth than the rest of the lawn. Most
likely, it's from deer droppings, as I've seen that on the lawn before.
As a test, I put down some extra Urea, which is pure nitrogen in a few
test spots to see if it would make it as green as the manure. I
didn't, in fact the spots that received the extra nitrogen were
undistinguishable from the rest of the lawn that I applied uniform
regular coverage to. But the few spots from the apparent manure were
still distinctly darker green.

So, apparently there are other wonders to manure that chemical
fertilizers don't have.

Posted to alt.home.repair
AKA Gray Asphalt

Thanks for saving me the embarrassment of signing up for "American Inventor"
only to find out that Milwaukee had a leg up on the idea, so to speak.

"John Hines" wrote in message
"AKA Gray Asphalt" wrote:

What is is that makes the lawn green around the edges of dog crap?
Nitrogen?

Yep

I wonder if anyone has ever stirred up some crap diluted with water and
spread it on a lawn.

The folks in Milwaukee have been doing it for decades, as "Milorganite",
which is a favorite (see Carl in Caddyshack) of golf course grounds
keepers everywhere.

Good for flowers and other things that grow as well as grass.

--
If I had something to say, this is where I'd say it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cue

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 13:06:17 -0700, "AKA Gray Asphalt"
wrote:

| I thought that you meant that dog **** was also called 'google manure',
| funny but dumb, on my part.
|
| "J. Clarke" wrote in message
| AKA Gray Asphalt wrote:
|
| What is is that makes the lawn green around the edges of dog crap?
| Nitrogen? I wonder if anyone has ever stirred up some crap diluted with
| water and spread it on a lawn. It seems to be better than whatever else
| people use and the green seems to stay for a long time around the dead
| center of the ex-crap.

Dog waste poses threat to water
By Traci Watson, USA TODAY

http://www.usatoday.com/news/science...7-dog-usat.htm

Pick up and discard dog droppings from turf areas. The droppings will
burn grass plants if left for an extended period of time.

http://www.hgic.umd.edu/content/lawns.cfm

Make it a habit of regularly picking up your dog's droppings, or
harmful bacteria will grow on it.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/ah_pets_tra...398526,00.html

Posted to alt.home.repair
AKA Gray Asphalt

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.. .
(Cue) wrote in
:

wrote:

| I thought that you meant that dog **** was also called 'google
| manure', funny but dumb, on my part.
|
| "J. Clarke" wrote in message
| AKA Gray Asphalt wrote:
|
| What is is that makes the lawn green around the edges of dog
| crap? Nitrogen? I wonder if anyone has ever stirred up some
| crap diluted with water and spread it on a lawn. It seems to be
| better than whatever else people use and the green seems to
| stay for a long time around the dead center of the ex-crap.

Dog waste poses threat to water
By Traci Watson, USA TODAY

http://www.usatoday.com/news/science...7-dog-usat.htm

Pick up and discard dog droppings from turf areas. The droppings will
burn grass plants if left for an extended period of time.

http://www.hgic.umd.edu/content/lawns.cfm

Make it a habit of regularly picking up your dog's droppings, or
harmful bacteria will grow on it.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/ah_pets_tra...V_3155_1398526,
00.html

Besides drawing flies and stinking.

The flies that land on your dog's **** also land on you,your kids and your
food(if picnicking,barbecuing).

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

If you spray the crap with water and it disintegrates there aren't any
flies, imo.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

"AKA Gray Asphalt" wrote in

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.. .
(Cue) wrote in
:

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/ah_pets_tra...TV_3155_139852
6, 00.html

Besides drawing flies and stinking.

The flies that land on your dog's **** also land on you,your kids and
your food(if picnicking,barbecuing).

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net

If you spray the crap with water and it disintegrates there aren't any
flies, imo.

No,they've already left to hang out by your screen door,and in your garage.
So they can enter your house when you open a door.

Besides,flies can still land on tiny bits of ****.Just spraying it with
water only keeps it fresher for the flies.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair
AKA Gray Asphalt

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.. .
"AKA Gray Asphalt" wrote in

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.. .
(Cue) wrote in
:

wrote:

| I thought that you meant that dog **** was also called 'google
| manure', funny but dumb, on my part.
|
| "J. Clarke" wrote in message
| AKA Gray Asphalt wrote:
|
| What is is that makes the lawn green around the edges of dog
| crap? Nitrogen? I wonder if anyone has ever stirred up some
| crap diluted with water and spread it on a lawn. It seems to
| be better than whatever else people use and the green seems
| to stay for a long time around the dead center of the
| ex-crap.

Dog waste poses threat to water
By Traci Watson, USA TODAY

http://www.usatoday.com/news/science...7-dog-usat.htm

Pick up and discard dog droppings from turf areas. The droppings
will burn grass plants if left for an extended period of time.

http://www.hgic.umd.edu/content/lawns.cfm

Make it a habit of regularly picking up your dog's droppings, or
harmful bacteria will grow on it.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/ah_pets_tra...TV_3155_139852
6, 00.html

Besides drawing flies and stinking.

The flies that land on your dog's **** also land on you,your kids and
your food(if picnicking,barbecuing).

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net

If you spray the crap with water and it disintegrates there aren't any
flies, imo.

No,they've already left to hang out by your screen door,and in your
garage.
So they can enter your house when you open a door.

Besides,flies can still land on tiny bits of ****.Just spraying it with
water only keeps it fresher for the flies.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net

Do you use manure on your lawn?

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Hines

"AKA Gray Asphalt" wrote:

Thanks for saving me the embarrassment of signing up for "American Inventor"
only to find out that Milwaukee had a leg up on the idea, so to speak.

You should be able to get sludge from your local sewage treatment plant,
although probably not in less than truck load quantities.

--
If I had something witty to say, this is where I'd say it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

"AKA Gray Asphalt" wrote in

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.. .
"AKA Gray Asphalt" wrote in

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.. .
(Cue) wrote in
:

wrote:

| I thought that you meant that dog **** was also called 'google
| manure', funny but dumb, on my part.
|
| "J. Clarke" wrote in message
| AKA Gray Asphalt wrote:
|
| What is is that makes the lawn green around the edges of dog
| crap? Nitrogen? I wonder if anyone has ever stirred up some
| crap diluted with water and spread it on a lawn. It seems to
| be better than whatever else people use and the green seems
| to stay for a long time around the dead center of the
| ex-crap.

Dog waste poses threat to water
By Traci Watson, USA TODAY

http://www.usatoday.com/news/science...7-dog-usat.htm

Pick up and discard dog droppings from turf areas. The droppings
will burn grass plants if left for an extended period of time.

http://www.hgic.umd.edu/content/lawns.cfm

Make it a habit of regularly picking up your dog's droppings, or
harmful bacteria will grow on it.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/ah_pets_tra...TV_3155_139852
6, 00.html

Besides drawing flies and stinking.

The flies that land on your dog's **** also land on you,your kids and
your food(if picnicking,barbecuing).

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net

If you spray the crap with water and it disintegrates there aren't any
flies, imo.

No,they've already left to hang out by your screen door,and in your
garage.
So they can enter your house when you open a door.

Besides,flies can still land on tiny bits of ****.Just spraying it with
water only keeps it fresher for the flies.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net

Do you use manure on your lawn?

Apartment;my discourteous neighbors often leave dog crap around.
The managers take care of the grounds,I believe the lawn maintenance
company uses commercial fertilizer.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair
chuckster

Dog doo will make your grass green but... if you step on it it will
make your carpets brown. (I saw this fact, in a Chinese fortune
cookie.)

AKA Gray Asphalt wrote:
What is is that makes the lawn green around the edges of dog crap? Nitrogen?
I wonder if anyone has ever stirred up some crap diluted with water and
spread it on a lawn. It seems to be better than whatever else people use and
the green seems to stay for a long time around the dead center of the
ex-crap.

Posted to alt.home.repair
AKA Gray Asphalt

I don't quote the ngs much, but the guy who said "Soylent Brown, it's
poople." got quoted. L, but not out loud.

oups.com...