Posted to alt.home.repair
First and Last

Default Granite slab counters cut too short.

The granite installers cut the granite on both sides of the stove at
least an ich too short, so now the gap on the sides of the range are
bigger than they were with the old tile counters and I can see down the
unfinished sides of the cabinets.

Besides replacing the granite what can they do about that? The can't
add on to the granite without adding an ugly seam. What about adding
some kind of removeable decorative trim in these gaps on both sides of
the stove? I'd hate to delay finishing this for weeks while waiting
for new matching granite and having to redo the backsplash.
The backplash has already been partially installed. I had them delay
grouting the backplash until I'm sure these problems are fixed. If
there is no attractive fix to these gaps, the slabs will need to be
replaced and the backsplash partially redone.

One of the short slabs is seamed to an L connecting to another slab
with the new undermount sink in it. If they replace the short slab,
can it be cleanly removed and a new piece rejoined to the connecting
granite or will everything, including the other slab and installed
sink need to be replaced?

Posted to alt.home.repair
MaryL

"First and Last" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

I can't answer questions about construction. However, as a consumer -- and
knowing how much granite costs -- I would demand that it be done right
before paying anything. In my opinion, it would be better to put up with
delay and get a good job than to accept an inferior job just to get it done
fast.

MaryL

Posted to alt.home.repair
No

First and Last wrote:
[...]

I cant envision the layout from your description. Would it be possible
to shimmy over the stove to one side, closing one gap, then move over
the other sides cabinet and top two inches to close the larger gap on
that side? Who measured? Them I assume.

Posted to alt.home.repair

No wrote:
First and Last wrote:
[...]

they can seam it and it will be nearly invisible, if it was their
mistake then your within your rights to demand replacement.

i suggest you let them seam it then if its ok take some off the bill

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On 5 Jun 2006 20:18:32 -0700, "First and Last"
wrote:

The granite installers cut the granite on both sides of the stove at
least an ich too short, so now the gap on the sides of the range are
bigger than they were with the old tile counters and I can see down the
unfinished sides of the cabinets.

Besides replacing the granite what can they do about that? The can't

Put in a bigger stove?

add on to the granite without adding an ugly seam. What about adding
some kind of removeable decorative trim in these gaps on both sides of
the stove? I'd hate to delay finishing this for weeks while waiting
for new matching granite and having to redo the backsplash.
The backplash has already been partially installed. I had them delay
grouting the backplash until I'm sure these problems are fixed. If
there is no attractive fix to these gaps, the slabs will need to be
replaced and the backsplash partially redone.

Well, what's "attractive" varies according to who is looking at it.
What kind of price break is the company willing to give you to
not tear it out and try again? Can you shove the stove
over against one side, and put a grease tray in on the other
side? How about a down-draft vent?

One of the short slabs is seamed to an L connecting to another slab
with the new undermount sink in it. If they replace the short slab,
can it be cleanly removed and a new piece rejoined to the connecting
granite or will everything, including the other slab and installed
sink need to be replaced?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

[...]

Is a top mount or a slide in? Is it stainless ? You might be able to have a
trim made of metal? stainless. It would have to look like part of the cook
top, that would the tricky part. This would have to be at there cost I would
also get a price on the granite. Another option would be a larger cook top
( most are a standard size) And they pay any additional cost. I'll bet they
measured the finished edge and forgot to deduct the over hang.

Posted to alt.home.repair
First and Last

Sacramento Dave wrote:
[...]

It's a slide in and and a bigger stove would not work since the edges
of the cabinets are still 30". The problem is the granite tops do not
go all the way to the edge of the cabinets like they are supposed to.
At least an inch too short on both sides of the range.
I thought of a solution that may work though. I saw gap-fillers you
lay on top of the counters online,

http://www.mileskimball.com/jump.jsp...CT&itemID=5484

but they wouldn't work for me because the top of the slide in stove is
a couple inches taller than the tops of the counters. I think they
would degrade the appearance of the kitchen anyway and look like an
after thought anyway.

What I think would give a much more polished look would be wood trim
caps attached to the edges of the granite on either side of the stove
stained to match the cabinets. I think that would give a finished look
will appears like it was always meant to be that way and yet save the
huge hassle and time delay tearing out the granite and starting over
would cause.
I have white appliances. If they were stainless, maybe chrome caps on
the granite edges would look better and accomplish the same goal.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"First and Last" wrote in message
I thought of a solution that may work though. I saw gap-fillers you
lay on top of the counters online,

http://www.mileskimball.com/jump.jsp...CT&itemID=5484

but they wouldn't work for me because the top of the slide in stove is
a couple inches taller than the tops of the counters. I think they
would degrade the appearance of the kitchen anyway and look like an
after thought anyway.

They look like a cover-up for a hack job. Wait, that is what you have!

Not may ways around the real problem. It is gracious of you to try and work
with the contractor, but it is unlikely many things will work, aside from a
new top. Honest (and costly) mistakes happen. Good luck with the recovery.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Darrell Dorsey

Is a top mount or a slide in? Is it stainless ? You might be able to
have a
trim made of metal? stainless. It would have to look like part of the
cook
top, that would the tricky part. This would have to be at there cost I
would
also get a price on the granite. Another option would be a larger cook
top
( most are a standard size) And they pay any additional cost. I'll bet
they
measured the finished edge and forgot to deduct the over hang.

It's a slide in and and a bigger stove would not work since the edges
of the cabinets are still 30". The problem is the granite tops do not
go all the way to the edge of the cabinets like they are supposed to.
At least an inch too short on both sides of the range.

If the gap between your cabinets is 30" and the slabs dont go to the the
edge of the cabinets, then they royally screwed up.
I just had some granite tops in my kitchen. We decided to go with a slide
in stove. In either case the old stove and the new slide in are 30" wide.
The granite is flush with the sides of the cabinet and the stove top over
hangs and covers the space between the stove and the cabinets. We also have
about a 4" wide piece that was glued/seamed in at the back of the opening.
This allows the slide in stoves rear flangs to slide over it.

Why on earth they would make the slabs short of the cabinet edge would be
beyond me. They should do that over. I think a seamed piece would look
terrible.

Our tops were around $3800. At that price they'd better be right.

Darrell

Posted to alt.home.repair

Demand a new countertop cut properly. Did they take the measurements?
If so the fault is thiers and do not accept anything less than a proper
job. Why are you even considering settling for a hack job????? If a
family or friend is doing job for free thats one thing. Take pictures
contact management and firmly demand a new counter. If they refuse to
fix it dont sign or pay. If you sign or pay a court may construe you
approved of the job.

MaryL wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
First and Last

Darrell Dorsey wrote:
[...]

I want to at least see what wood caps stained to match the cabinets
would look like before dealing with the hassle of another tear out over
1 inch gaps. I think they could look good if they are well done. The
granite installers can pay for a skilled woodworker to do a custom job
if I don't like the way it turns out with the contractor I have working
for me know. If I don't like it at all, then I won't go that way.
The face of the cabinets are 30 inches apart, but the actual outside
"walls" of cabinets on each side of the stove are about 32" apart. The
face of the cabinets overhangs the walls and they measured the granite
to the cabinet walls instead of to the gap in front. I suppose if the
sides of the face of the cabinets could be cut down and a 31-32" wide
range could be slid in that space. Do ranges in that size exist?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Why notrequire new countertops that are cut properly. You are the
reason contractors can do shoddy work . Many people accept it. I would
politely tell them to remove the counter and return with a proper
one!!!

First and Last wrote:
Darrell Dorsey wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

Do what I do. Just tell them to take it out and do it right the next time.

If they give you any lip, just say,

"Well, we seem to be at an impass here. I shall contact the State Board of
Contractors tomorrow, and file papers with them. They have a mediation
service, and I will be happy to do whatever they say."

I only had to say it one time, and the guy changed his attitude in a New
York minute, and redid the job.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
jd

one option would be to add a strip of wood (to match the cabinets) on either
side of the stove to fill the gap. there might be long term wear issues, as
the wood will wear a lot faster than the stone, but staining would probably
be a bigger issue.......

--JD

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cheri

First and Last wrote:

I want to at least see what wood caps stained to match the cabinets
would look like before dealing with the hassle of another tear out

over
1 inch gaps. I think they could look good if they are well done.

The
granite installers can pay for a skilled woodworker to do a custom

job

But wait, the granite installers were already supposed to do a custom
job with your granite, and they screwed it up, so I wouldn't trust them
to get a skilled woodworker. Personally, even with the hassle, I would
make them replace it with the right size, because I don't think you're
ever going to be really happy unless they do. I know I wouldn't, and
knowing the gap is there due to shoddy work would make me crazy, but
YMMV. Good luck.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT

When our installers delivered the granite countertop, one was cut too small
leaving about a 1" gap against the back wall. They admitted their mistake
and were back in 3 days with a new one cut correctly.