pergola beam span

Old June 6th 06, 02:49 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default pergola beam span

I want to build a pergola over my deck and don't want any posts in the
middle of the deck. The deck is 22 ft wide and 12 feet deep. Because of
the direction of the sun I will span the 12 ft depth. The 4 beams would be
supporting 2x8 joists probably 24" oc that support 2x6 or 1x6 top pieces 12"
oc that will shield the deck from the sun.
On the "house side" the beams would be supported by columns or a leger board
fastened to the brick side of the house. On the "outside of the deck" the
beams would be supported by 8" round fiberglass columns. I am planning on
using doubled 2x12s for the beams. One reason is for aestetics, but my
research has indicated that this will support the weight of the joists and
top pieces. I will be using treated southern pine. As added support, I'll
be adding support posts under the deck near the major support columns.
I'd appreciate your thoughts
TIA
JD

Old June 6th 06, 02:58 AM posted to alt.home.repair

JD wrote:
[...]

See
http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...=&fpart=1&vc=1

Much large span that you are talking. 2x10 carry beam, double 2x8x20'
joists 4' OC in some sections.

Old June 6th 06, 05:43 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 5-Jun-2006, "JD" wrote:

I'd appreciate your thoughts

Might be good, might be terrible. Do you live in south Florida and ignore
snow loads or do you live in Syracuse NY with high snow loads? Winds -
high or low?

It isn't how strong it is, it's how strong it needs to be.

Mike
Old June 6th 06, 06:46 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Michael Daly wrote:

Might be good, might be terrible. Do you live in south Florida and ignore
snow loads or do you live in Syracuse NY with high snow loads?

Snow loads on a pergola?

Old June 6th 06, 01:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair

JD wrote:
I live in SE Virginia. No snow loads, but could have a hurricane.
JD

Use these:
http://www.stormsurvival.homestead.c...ne_Straps.html

Old June 6th 06, 03:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 6-Jun-2006, "RicodJour" wrote:

Snow loads on a pergola?

Depending on the spacing of the lattice elements, you can get snow loads
with the snow bridging the gaps. I've also seen a few pergolas topped
with glass! (I guess they like the look but not rain/snow,,,)

Mike

RSJ size johncol UK diy 3 February 12th 06 09:31 AM
Replacing Roof Support Beam with 1x boards? Norminn Home Repair 6 November 17th 05 12:22 PM
Pergola beam question JD Home Repair 2 April 15th 05 12:39 PM
Level beam but floors still sagging?? Jeff C Home Repair 5 January 23rd 05 02:06 PM
I Beam Bending Like a Pretzel??? Steve Metalworking 6 August 11th 03 03:08 PM