Posted to alt.home.repair
Johnny Thunders Jr.

Default Smelly water from indirect-fired water heater

I have a 6 yeard old Weil-Mclain indirect-fired water heater.

A few weeks ago, I started to notice foul smelling hot water when
taking a shower. One plumber told me that the source is bacteria inside
the water tank and to clean it is a major project. (He didn't want to
do it). Is it really that complicated. I always assumed that since the
indirect heaters don't have coils, they can't get contaminated. Can
someone advise me on this?

Thanks
Johnny

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Johnny Thunders Jr. wrote:

I have a 6 yeard old Weil-Mclain indirect-fired water heater.

A few weeks ago, I started to notice foul smelling hot water when
taking a shower. One plumber told me that the source is bacteria inside
the water tank and to clean it is a major project. (He didn't want to
do it). Is it really that complicated. I always assumed that since the
indirect heaters don't have coils, they can't get contaminated. Can
someone advise me on this?

Thanks
Johnny

Is this on a well system?

If so, iron bacteria can make foul odors, particularly
in heated water.

You'd have to open the piping *somewhere* to add
dilute bleach to the section passing thru the boiler
for the domestic hot water. You're in a better
position to detrmine where/how.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joey

Johnny Thunders Jr. wrote:
I have a 6 yeard old Weil-Mclain indirect-fired water heater.

A few weeks ago, I started to notice foul smelling hot water when
taking a shower. One plumber told me that the source is bacteria inside
the water tank and to clean it is a major project. (He didn't want to
do it). Is it really that complicated. I always assumed that since the
indirect heaters don't have coils, they can't get contaminated. Can
someone advise me on this?

Thanks
Johnny

Other than speedy Jims suggestion, replace the zinc anode with an
aluminum anode. That will cure the smelly rotten egg smell.