Posted to alt.home.repair
David Combs

Default poisoning weed-like squirrel-planted YOUNG-trees after scythe-ing stalks

SUBJECT:
How to poison weed-like squirrel-planted YOUNG-trees after scythe-ing
off the stalks.

In the back yard we have this large patch of pakasandra (sp?),
which each year turns into a jungle of thus-far-juvenile
trees. (Each year they get planted via squirrels burring
nuts, some of which they clearly don't locate later on.)

Anyway, this year I got this (home-depot) serrated-edge scythe
and went out there and chopped them all, shortening them
from maybe 5 to 8 feet tall to 2 or 3 foot-high
truncated stalks.

How to get rid of these things -- so at least *this* batch
doesn't grow back?

I was thinking that since I want to preserve the *desired*
plants (eg pakasandra(sp?)), I'd want to be super-careful
with any poison.

Obviously (I think) I wouldn't want to spray anything over
the entire area.

So, I was thinking that maybe I could carefully "paint"
some poison directly on the chopped cross-section of each of
those remaining stalks?

(At this point, there's no leaves left, just the roughly-chopped
stalks.)

QUESTION: does this make any sense?

If so, what *kind* of poison -- that would hopefully be
just enough to kill *that* attempting-to-be-a-tree stalk
(and roots?), but that wouldn't propagate out to roots
of *other* plants.

Ideas?

Thanks!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Anyway, this year I got this (home-depot) serrated-edge scythe
and went out there and chopped them all, shortening them
from maybe 5 to 8 feet tall to 2 or 3 foot-high
truncated stalks.

How to get rid of these things -- so at least *this* batch
doesn't grow back?

Next time, pull them up, don't chop them off.
Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Keep chopping or mowing them down and the lack of nutrients due to the lack
of leaves will eventually wear them out. Water the Packy' sparingly (drip
emittor at the base only) to further stress the unwanted sprouts. In other
words, make them feel unwelcome.

What kind of ground cover is there, can you just cover it with some planks
to smother the plants you don't want. You can do that over mulch but it
would kill grass and other plants.

Get a dog and let him run in the yard, the squirrels will vacate promptly.
I hear dog and human hair spread on the ground will also discourage the
critters from using your territory.

"Goedjn" wrote in message

Anyway, this year I got this (home-depot) serrated-edge scythe
and went out there and chopped them all, shortening them
from maybe 5 to 8 feet tall to 2 or 3 foot-high
truncated stalks.

How to get rid of these things -- so at least *this* batch
doesn't grow back?

Next time, pull them up, don't chop them off.

Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

David Combs wrote:
[...]

I have had great succes killing perenials (flowers, trees, shrubs)
using RoundUp.

Any substantial plant has energy stored in the root system & will
continue to generate leaves until this energy is exhausted.

As PipeDown suggested you can continue to harass the little trees until
they run out of steam.

Alternatively I would chop them all the way down (remove as much woody
material above the soil as possible)

I would then water & fertilize lightly tthis will encourage a new leafy
structure to develop.

When it established (about a foot or two) I did hose it down with
RoundUp

Us the super concentrate 42% ? 50% ? at a 3oz per gallon dilution.

They'll all be dead in few weeks.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

David Combs wrote:
SUBJECT:
How to poison weed-like squirrel-planted YOUNG-trees after scythe-ing
off the stalks.

For trash trees, I cut them down and cover the "stump" with a coffee can.
Fortunately, I use the new Folgers decafinated coffee that comes in a green
plastic container. Works well and blends in.

Posted to alt.home.repair
David Combs

In article ,
HeyBub wrote:
David Combs wrote:
SUBJECT:
How to poison weed-like squirrel-planted YOUNG-trees after scythe-ing
off the stalks.

For trash trees, I cut them down and cover the "stump" with a coffee can.
Fortunately, I use the new Folgers decafinated coffee that comes in a green
plastic container. Works well and blends in.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

Now, about this one, using coffee-cans:

I guess they keep the treelets from sprouting again out of
the stumps. Sounds good.

Now, I have a *bunch* of these stumps out there, maybe
50 or so. That's a lot of coffee we've got to drink!

Any other similar suggestion?

Thanks,

David