How do I remove rust stain from marble???

Old June 1st 06, 05:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do I remove rust stain from marble???

The window sill in the bathroom tub/shower area has a white marble
sill. A candle was sitting on it.The candle had a metal wick holder on
the bottom. This rusted and stained the marble. I tried liquid bleach
on it to no avail. I sanded it with a very fine grit paper. Still
stained.
Any suggestions on how to remove the stain??

Old June 1st 06, 05:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair

tomkanpa wrote:
The window sill in the bathroom tub/shower area has a white marble
sill. A candle was sitting on it.The candle had a metal wick holder on
the bottom. This rusted and stained the marble. I tried liquid bleach
on it to no avail. I sanded it with a very fine grit paper. Still
stained.
Any suggestions on how to remove the stain??

Any mild acid such as lemon juice or one of the rust stain removers such as
CLR (it has acid too).

Unfortunately, acid eats marble. How much one of the preceding would attack
it I cannot say. There is also the distinct possibility that what you have
isn't marble but polyester resin made to look like marble. If it has an
odor it isn't marble; OTOH not having an odor doesn't necessarily mean it
*is* marble.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old June 1st 06, 11:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in message
tomkanpa wrote:
[...]

Try a paste of Oxy-Clean or the dollar store equivelent. If that dosen't
work (and it may take a while) try a metal polish like MAAS (which I hear
works on anything) or a harsher chemical polish.