Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Laumann

Default Broken bird bath....Concrete adhesive?

Hi all

My wife has a 2 pc bird bath (pedestal base and tray) made from what
looks to be cast concrete. The base has a section which has broken off
- approximately 1/3. The break formed a straight line across the base.

I am not aware of any glue, etc which is made for concrete. I think I
can drill a hole thru the broken piece and into the pedestal. Then
insert a expansion faster, and use a screw/bolt to fasten the broken
piece to the base. I've got some masonary sealer (for cracks) that I
could apply to the broken section to use as "padding" during the
tightening of the fastener.

The got'cha being that if I crack the broken section while drilling or
tightening the fastener, its broke for good. Is there any adhesive
that I could use for such a repair?

Any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie Bress

Get JB Weld. Don't get the quick setting, get the regular kind. At any
hardware or auto supply place.

Charlie

"Jim Laumann" wrote in message
Hi all

My wife has a 2 pc bird bath (pedestal base and tray) made from what
looks to be cast concrete. The base has a section which has broken off
- approximately 1/3. The break formed a straight line across the base.

I am not aware of any glue, etc which is made for concrete. I think I
can drill a hole thru the broken piece and into the pedestal. Then
insert a expansion faster, and use a screw/bolt to fasten the broken
piece to the base. I've got some masonary sealer (for cracks) that I
could apply to the broken section to use as "padding" during the
tightening of the fastener.

The got'cha being that if I crack the broken section while drilling or
tightening the fastener, its broke for good. Is there any adhesive
that I could use for such a repair?

Any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Jim Laumann" wrote in message
..

I am not aware of any glue, etc which is made for concrete.

They have it at the hardware store. Never used it so I don't know how good
it is. You can also buy polyurethane construction adhesive.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht

Jim Laumann wrote:

-snip-
The got'cha being that if I crack the broken section while drilling or
tightening the fastener, its broke for good. Is there any adhesive
that I could use for such a repair?

I used "landscape block adhesive?" to glue the top row of blocks on my
2-foot retaining wall. It has held for 3 NY winters with people
walking all over them, so I'm a believer in that stuff.

I think I've seen an 'exterior grade' construction adhesive, too.
Read some labels.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison

Jim Laumann wrote:
Hi all

My wife has a 2 pc bird bath (pedestal base and tray) made from what
looks to be cast concrete. The base has a section which has broken off
- approximately 1/3. The break formed a straight line across the base.

I am not aware of any glue, etc which is made for concrete. I think I
can drill a hole thru the broken piece and into the pedestal. Then
insert a expansion faster, and use a screw/bolt to fasten the broken
piece to the base. I've got some masonary sealer (for cracks) that I
could apply to the broken section to use as "padding" during the
tightening of the fastener.

The got'cha being that if I crack the broken section while drilling or
tightening the fastener, its broke for good. Is there any adhesive
that I could use for such a repair?

Any suggestions?

There is epoxy which is specially formulated for concrete.
Available at any masonry supply (not HD or Lowes). The brand
that I use to fill voids in concrete to adhere to structural
engineering requirements is made by Sika.

Look at these:

http://www.askthebuilder.com/B119_Co...y_Repair.shtml

http://www.sikaconstruction.com/con-prod-app-crir.htm

They have an epoxy that is a two part epoxy in a single caulk
tube which would work well for you. Read the first link and
look in the yellow pages for the place in your area that
carries what you need.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Bath advice Martin Wilson UK diy 2 November 13th 04 07:44 AM
Repair Holes and Levelling a Concrete Floor JJC001 UK diy 6 April 29th 04 11:17 PM
Sealant around bath not setting! BraileTrail UK diy 14 January 14th 04 09:49 PM
Laying Concrete Flooring John UK diy 5 September 24th 03 08:15 AM
re-use old concrete as an aggregate ? PoP UK diy 5 September 2nd 03 01:06 PM