Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Double pocket door kit for single width opening?

I've got a closet door opening in my office that I would like to
install a pocket door in. I can't relocate the opening because of our
wood floors, and there isn't enough space to either side for a single
door to slide before it runs out of space. Is there a kit that would
allow me to use 2 half width doors which would slide to either side?
I've perused a few of the kit sites (interiordoors.com and Johnson's
site), but I'm not coming up with much. Am I going to need to engineer
my own solution for this, or is my best bet to just buy 2 single kits
and cut them down to size?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

nhurst wrote:
I've got a closet door opening in my office that I would like to
install a pocket door in. I can't relocate the opening because of our
wood floors, and there isn't enough space to either side for a single
door to slide before it runs out of space. Is there a kit that would
allow me to use 2 half width doors which would slide to either side?
I've perused a few of the kit sites (interiordoors.com and Johnson's
site), but I'm not coming up with much. Am I going to need to engineer
my own solution for this, or is my best bet to just buy 2 single kits
and cut them down to size?

Thanks!

what about bi-fold doors? You could probably get two small doors
(lumber yard, not Borg) and cut down a bypass track to fit. The bypass
doors are going to be a PITA on a standard size opening though. If you
can't use bi-fold doors your best bet is probably a cheesey accordian
door.
http://www.accordion-doors.com/

Installing a pocket door is not a simple DIY project. It is not
extremely difficult, but you need to know:
is the wall load bearing?
are the studs at least 2x4?
how to repair drywall or plaster
how to relocate plumbing/heat/electrical if needed

Posted to alt.home.repair

RayV wrote:

what about bi-fold doors? You could probably get two small doors
(lumber yard, not Borg) and cut down a bypass track to fit. The bypass
doors are going to be a PITA on a standard size opening though. If you
can't use bi-fold doors your best bet is probably a cheesey accordian
door.
http://www.accordion-doors.com/

I have a general dislike for these types of doors. I've never had a
good experience with them, and after a while, they end up getting
wobbly and frustratingly finicky to operate.

Installing a pocket door is not a simple DIY project. It is not
extremely difficult, but you need to know:
is the wall load bearing?
are the studs at least 2x4?
how to repair drywall or plaster
how to relocate plumbing/heat/electrical if needed

I don't think this particular wall is load bearing, but I'm not 100%
sure. It's got 2 2x4's that are nailed together running along the top
of the wall, and there used to be a half-height closet going up to the
ceiling further down the same wall. Also, the only studs I would need
to take out are the ones immediately to the left and right of the door
frame itself, if I do the double door thing.
All the studs are 2x4 (and they're all 50 year old fat lighter pine,
too... the place smells like Pine-Sol whenever I have to drill into a
stud).
I can hang sheetrock, no problem. It's pretty easy to do.
There is only one electrical outlet on the wall, and it's far enough
away that I can put another stud between it and the door to prevent it
from getting knocked around.

Also, I'm not looking for bypass doors, but 2 half width doors on the
same track that will meet edge-to-edge in the middle of the opening.
That's why I'm not sure if I can get away with a single extra long
track or need to buy 2 single opening kits and cut the rails down.

Thanks for the reply!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Jul 2006 07:46:14 -0700, "nhurst" wrote:

I've got a closet door opening in my office that I would like to
install a pocket door in. I can't relocate the opening because of our
wood floors, and there isn't enough space to either side for a single
door to slide before it runs out of space. Is there a kit that would
allow me to use 2 half width doors which would slide to either side?
I've perused a few of the kit sites (interiordoors.com and Johnson's
site), but I'm not coming up with much. Am I going to need to engineer
my own solution for this, or is my best bet to just buy 2 single kits
and cut them down to size?

Thanks!

I think with a little fussing around you could make do with a standard
kit except for one thing: you need twice as many door rollers for the
track since you will have two doors. The standard kits come with 2
sets of rollers and you will need 4. The other stuff you should be
able to manage by mounting half on each side of the opening. When you
think about it, you don't need anymore travel or any more "pocket"
than you would with a single door, you just want half of it on each
side. At most you may need an extra inch or so of track, but most of
them need to be cut down a bit anyway. You may have to improvise a
bit, but I think you will be able to make it work. Maybe you can buy
an extra set of rollers from the manufacturer; I imagine they are
needed as spare parts from time to time. IAEF, buy two kits; they
aren't that expensive. And buying two kits lets you double up on the
steel reinforced studlets, which helps avoid that flimsy, hollow wall
feeling.

Even a standard pocket door latchset should work if you mortise the
strike into one door and mount the latch on the other.

I always use a solid core door for pocket doors; it avoids that cheap,
floppy feeling, slides more smoothly, blocks noise better, and just
has a higher quality feel to it.

HTH,

Paul Franklin

Double pocket doors Don Home Repair 3 May 29th 05 05:10 PM
Minimum opening width for Building regs compliance Dean Lawrence UK diy 6 December 15th 04 09:44 PM
Countertop Stove Insert - Oversized Rough Opening c.b.fernald Home Repair 3 November 25th 04 12:46 AM
Garage - making a double width door Paul UK diy 9 October 16th 03 12:08 AM