Posted to alt.home.repair
Adam Preble

Default Paint sprayer & latex paint

I was trying to paint something with latex paint. I got a central
pneumatic sprayer for farting around with this; I might end up just
returning it. I have a Craftsman 6HP compressor that can go up to 120
PSI (the sprayer is only rated to 75 though). I can get water out of it
but no paint.

I have never done this before, and I have had to dig for what might be
wrong. The first thing I see is I'm probably in trouble trying to do
things with this setup. Latex paint is just too much for it. I also
see notes about thinning paint, but nothing recommending doing that
here--I assume it's wrong to do.

Is there a way I could make this setup work, or am I out of luck using
my compressor to spray?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Floetrol is what I use for thinning latex using a SMALL compressor and
a Critter gun.

On Fri, 26 May 2006 01:44:43 GMT, Adam Preble
wrote:

I was trying to paint something with latex paint. I got a central
pneumatic sprayer for farting around with this; I might end up just
returning it. I have a Craftsman 6HP compressor that can go up to 120
PSI (the sprayer is only rated to 75 though). I can get water out of it
but no paint.

I have never done this before, and I have had to dig for what might be
wrong. The first thing I see is I'm probably in trouble trying to do
things with this setup. Latex paint is just too much for it. I also
see notes about thinning paint, but nothing recommending doing that
here--I assume it's wrong to do.

Is there a way I could make this setup work, or am I out of luck using
my compressor to spray?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

wrote:

I was trying to paint something with latex paint. I got a central
pneumatic sprayer for farting around with this; I might end up just
returning it. I have a Craftsman 6HP compressor that can go up to 120
PSI (the sprayer is only rated to 75 though). I can get water out of it
but no paint.

I have never done this before, and I have had to dig for what might be
wrong. The first thing I see is I'm probably in trouble trying to do
things with this setup. Latex paint is just too much for it. I also
see notes about thinning paint, but nothing recommending doing that
here--I assume it's wrong to do.

Is there a way I could make this setup work, or am I out of luck using
my compressor to spray?

I strain the latex paint before I spray it on. Small particles can
clog the tip, even after being well mixed. I have never had to thin
any latex for spraying.

Oren

excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
nothermark

wrote:

I was trying to paint something with latex paint. I got a central
pneumatic sprayer for farting around with this; I might end up just
returning it. I have a Craftsman 6HP compressor that can go up to 120
PSI (the sprayer is only rated to 75 though). I can get water out of it
but no paint.

I have never done this before, and I have had to dig for what might be
wrong. The first thing I see is I'm probably in trouble trying to do
things with this setup. Latex paint is just too much for it. I also
see notes about thinning paint, but nothing recommending doing that
here--I assume it's wrong to do.

Is there a way I could make this setup work, or am I out of luck using
my compressor to spray?

Verify the spray nozzle is the right size for latex paint.

Most of the cheap sprayers are nozzled for very thin paint used on
cars. Latex is much thicker so it needs a larger nozzle. You may not
be able to find one for the cheap gun.