Posted to alt.home.repair
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

Default shade causing wood rot?

I have a neighbor that is insisting the shade from one of my trees is
causing the wood to rot on his older windows (these appear to be
original from the 50's). He claims that side of his house never gets
direct sun because my tree (over 30 feet away) blocks it, so after it
rains the sills don't dry. In the two years I've been there he has
filled in the damage with putty and repainted each spring, an improper
patch in my mind. Can lack of direct sun really cause this much
damage? The area isn't in complete shade all day, it just doesn't get
hit directly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tell the guy to see the chaplain as he seems to have a personal
problem. Or, if you want, sell him your house so he can cut your tree
down if he wants. Does he want you to pay his bills if he comes up a
little short some month? What a baby!

Posted to alt.home.repair
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

I really don't know what he is getting at with the complaints. Not
sure if he's trying to say we'll have to fix it or what. He has had it
looked at and was told his "patches" were only that, temporary patches,
and that the windows would need to be replaced. Before he starts
blaming my tree I just wanted to make sure this was not common.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"grodenhiATgmailDOTcom" wrote in message
oups.com...
I really don't know what he is getting at with the complaints. Not
sure if he's trying to say we'll have to fix it or what. He has had it
looked at and was told his "patches" were only that, temporary patches,
and that the windows would need to be replaced. Before he starts
blaming my tree I just wanted to make sure this was not common.

When I bought this house, the inspectors poked a very skinny awl under the
edge of the siding which covers my sills, and found that two were rotted.
They're both in shade. They showed me how to remove the siding, told me to
chisel out the old wood and replace with treated wood. I cannot find the
words to tell you how traumatized I was after calculating the immense cost
involved. Something like $8.00, perhaps as much as $14.73.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

grodenhiATgmailDOTcom wrote:
I have a neighbor that is insisting the shade from one of my trees is
causing the wood to rot on his older windows (these appear to be
original from the 50's). He claims that side of his house never gets
direct sun because my tree (over 30 feet away) blocks it, so after it
rains the sills don't dry. In the two years I've been there he has
filled in the damage with putty and repainted each spring, an improper
patch in my mind. Can lack of direct sun really cause this much
damage? The area isn't in complete shade all day, it just doesn't get
hit directly.

Less or no sun can cause some problems, but then sun itself also can
cause problems. While I would guess it is possible, I have never seen a
situation that I would say that a tree 30 feet away was even equal to the
lack of proper maintenance as being the cause.

Now that that is settled, you still have to deal with the neighbor. In
most areas your tree is yours and your neighbor's only control over that
tree is his legal right to trim any part of the tree that hangs over into
his property. Check your local legal professionals before assuming that
applies to your situation.

You also need to consider your relationship with the neighbor. That
only you can judge.

What is the neighbor suggesting you do? If he wants the tree removed,
then ask yourself it you want it removed and if not what might entice you to
change you mind (what is it worth to you) In either case I would suggest
that your neighbor should foot the bill.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

And he should consider how much shade the tree produces near his own house.
I've seen all kinds of estimates as to what trees are worth in terms of air
conditioning BTUs. The numbers don't matter. I know just by being observant
that the benefit is amazing.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Lack of maintenace causes wood rot, letting wood go bare or bad caulk
alowing it to stay wet. Its not your fault nor your trees fault. Im sure
the windows are old and for a period were neglected, but his years of
neglect caused it. Houses are built in shade, people dont cut their
trees for that reason. He is a Blamer, he Blames everyone but himself,
but he is to blame for letting the paint and caulk go bad and rot his
windows not your tree or you. Remember Rot takes years to ruin wood.
Dont let the blamer ruin your day or tree.

Posted to alt.home.repair
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

He hasn't outright demanded that I fix his windows or cut down the
tree, just HEAVILY hinted at it. He has stated on numerous occations
that he hates that tree and would be happy to see it go because it
causes his windows to rot and the seed pods (Maple tree) get in his
gutters. The tree is not hanging over any part of his property. Each
time I see him he seems more and more agitated by the tree. and I think
he's getting close to trying some kind of action. I'm not that worried
about keeping him happy (he's not the one paying my mortgage), but I
also don't feel like getting into any kind of ****ing match with him
either. I just state that we like the tree and will do our part to
minimize his nuisance to him (ie we stay on top of cleaning leaves and
seeds).

Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom

"grodenhiATgmailDOTcom" wrote in message
oups.com...
He hasn't outright demanded that I fix his windows or cut down the
tree, just HEAVILY hinted at it. He has stated on numerous occations
that he hates that tree and would be happy to see it go because it
causes his windows to rot and the seed pods (Maple tree) get in his
gutters. The tree is not hanging over any part of his property. Each
time I see him he seems more and more agitated by the tree. and I think
he's getting close to trying some kind of action. I'm not that worried
about keeping him happy (he's not the one paying my mortgage), but I
also don't feel like getting into any kind of ****ing match with him
either. I just state that we like the tree and will do our part to
minimize his nuisance to him (ie we stay on top of cleaning leaves and
seeds).

My neighbor's maple tree is 300 feet away, and the seeds still make their
way into my gutters when the wind's right. Oh well.

Does the tree actually hang over the property line at all? If so, and you
think he's going to make a move, like have it trimmed, be damned sure he
intends to use a professional tree service, and that you have a say in
choosing it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"grodenhiATgmailDOTcom" wrote in message
oups.com...
He hasn't outright demanded that I fix his windows or cut down the
tree, just HEAVILY hinted at it.

If you want to try and be a good neighbor you might share a few tips for the
proper repair of his sills. Other than that I would not be too concerned
about it.

If he will scrape them to the bare wood, petrify any soft spots with an
epoxy system and then fill voids with bondo he should then be ready to paint
with an oil based primer. Thereafter he may topcoat with whatever he likes.

Halfway patches with improper materials and latex primers or no primers will
result in an annual failure.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

I'm not sure how he fills in the rot, he states, "just last spring I
had to fill in the wood and repair it, now it's rotted out again, the
tree blocks too much sun and never allows the sills to dry". I've kept
an eye on that side of his house for a day, it is in no means shady all
day, it just doesn't get hit directly. I try to stay as uninvolved as
possible in his repair work. He complains about everyone on the block,
like those with woodstoves that make smoke that inevitably drifts to
his yard (seriously, he complained that smoke drifts through his yard).

Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom

"grodenhiATgmailDOTcom" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm not sure how he fills in the rot, he states, "just last spring I
had to fill in the wood and repair it, now it's rotted out again, the
tree blocks too much sun and never allows the sills to dry". I've kept
an eye on that side of his house for a day, it is in no means shady all
day, it just doesn't get hit directly. I try to stay as uninvolved as
possible in his repair work. He complains about everyone on the block,
like those with woodstoves that make smoke that inevitably drifts to
his yard (seriously, he complained that smoke drifts through his yard).

Ya know....there are plenty of boats with wood trim, and owners somehow
manage to find a way to keep them from rotting for many years. Too bad it's
a closely held secret.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Filling in wood to fix rot is temporary, Bondo is the only thing that
has a chance. I think you should plant alot more trees.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

grodenhiATgmailDOTcom wrote:

I have a neighbor that is insisting the shade from one of my trees is
causing the wood to rot on his older windows (these appear to be
original from the 50's). He claims that side of his house never gets
direct sun because my tree (over 30 feet away) blocks it, so after it
rains the sills don't dry. In the two years I've been there he has
filled in the damage with putty and repainted each spring, an improper
patch in my mind. Can lack of direct sun really cause this much
damage? The area isn't in complete shade all day, it just doesn't get
hit directly.

The wood wouldn't rot if he kept it painted and caulked. Mildew, maybe.
Air circulation also matters, but maintenance is his issue. Packing
rotten wood with putty just keeps the rot enclosed (for a while).
Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"grodenhiATgmailDOTcom" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm not sure how he fills in the rot, he states, "just last spring I
had to fill in the wood and repair it, now it's rotted out again, the
tree blocks too much sun and never allows the sills to dry". I've kept
an eye on that side of his house for a day, it is in no means shady all
day, it just doesn't get hit directly. I try to stay as uninvolved as
possible in his repair work. He complains about everyone on the block,
like those with woodstoves that make smoke that inevitably drifts to
his yard (seriously, he complained that smoke drifts through his yard).

I should have said IF instead of if.

Sounds like a lost cause to me. As Mark Twain said, "Most people are about
as happy as they want to be."

Sounds like this person likes not being happy.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
jd

shade can accelerate a rot problem in old wooden sills. However, if the
sills are properly maintained (and properly repaired when needed) the shade
won't make any significant difference.
As many folks have already stated: a hack fix-it job will hide the rot for a
while, but unless he's done (or paid someone to do ) a proper repair job,
NOTHING will stop the rot.

from the sounds of it, he's just a cranky guy looking for something to ****
about (anyone who complains about woodstove smoke blowing across his
property is a nutcase). I'd make happy noises at him whenever he bitches. If
he really bitches a lot, you might get a couple of estimates to have the
tree removed (don't forget the landscaping to repair the hole it will
leave), and mention that you might consider doing it if he foots the bill.
Explain that you really llike the tree, but if it would really make that
much difference to him, you'd be willing to sacrifice the tree on his
nickel. around here, having a largish tree removed from a residential lot,
then having a decent lawn repair done will run in the 3-4 kilo buck range
(especially if you use one of the high-end contractors). I bet that will get
him off the topic really fast......

--JD

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark

Gee - the requirement that Sun strike all wet wood surfaces to prevent rot
doesn't seem to hold water (so to speak!) on the NORTH side of a house!
(At least in the northern hemisphere - south side if you are south of the
equator!). My north facing windows and door never get any direct sun and
have no rot as far as I've ever seen...

"grodenhiATgmailDOTcom" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a neighbor that is insisting the shade from one of my trees is
causing the wood to rot on his older windows (these appear to be
original from the 50's). He claims that side of his house never gets
direct sun because my tree (over 30 feet away) blocks it, so after it
rains the sills don't dry. In the two years I've been there he has
filled in the damage with putty and repainted each spring, an improper
patch in my mind. Can lack of direct sun really cause this much
damage? The area isn't in complete shade all day, it just doesn't get
hit directly.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

grodenhiATgmailDOTcom wrote:
He hasn't outright demanded that I fix his windows or cut down the
tree, just HEAVILY hinted at it. He has stated on numerous occations
that he hates that tree and would be happy to see it go because it
causes his windows to rot and the seed pods (Maple tree) get in his
gutters. The tree is not hanging over any part of his property. Each
time I see him he seems more and more agitated by the tree. and I
think he's getting close to trying some kind of action. I'm not that
worried about keeping him happy (he's not the one paying my
mortgage), but I also don't feel like getting into any kind of
****ing match with him either. I just state that we like the tree
and will do our part to minimize his nuisance to him (ie we stay on
top of cleaning leaves and seeds).

It sounds like you have a good plan, at least until he starts mumbling
around and takes to wearing camouflage gear. :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

m Ransley wrote:

Lack of maintenace causes wood rot, letting wood go bare or bad caulk
alowing it to stay wet. Its not your fault nor your trees fault. Im sure
the windows are old and for a period were neglected, but his years of
neglect caused it. Houses are built in shade, people dont cut their
trees for that reason. He is a Blamer, he Blames everyone but himself,
but he is to blame for letting the paint and caulk go bad and rot his
windows not your tree or you. Remember Rot takes years to ruin wood.
Dont let the blamer ruin your day or tree.

Great advice! Negative people can really eat away at others, and when
they cannot they get more frustrated. Seem to want others to share
their misery )
Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Mark wrote:

Gee - the requirement that Sun strike all wet wood surfaces to prevent rot
doesn't seem to hold water (so to speak!) on the NORTH side of a house!
(At least in the northern hemisphere - south side if you are south of the
equator!). My north facing windows and door never get any direct sun and
have no rot as far as I've ever seen...

If you are on the equator, and have wide eaves you are really in trouble )

"grodenhiATgmailDOTcom" wrote in message
ups.com...

I have a neighbor that is insisting the shade from one of my trees is
causing the wood to rot on his older windows (these appear to be
original from the 50's). He claims that side of his house never gets
direct sun because my tree (over 30 feet away) blocks it, so after it
rains the sills don't dry. In the two years I've been there he has
filled in the damage with putty and repainted each spring, an improper
patch in my mind. Can lack of direct sun really cause this much
damage? The area isn't in complete shade all day, it just doesn't get
hit directly.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

m Ransley wrote:
Lack of maintenace causes wood rot, letting wood go bare or bad caulk
alowing it to stay wet. Its not your fault nor your trees fault. Im
sure the windows are old and for a period were neglected, but his
years of neglect caused it. Houses are built in shade, people dont
cut their trees for that reason. He is a Blamer, he Blames everyone
but himself, but he is to blame for letting the paint and caulk go
bad and rot his windows not your tree or you. Remember Rot takes
years to ruin wood. Dont let the blamer ruin your day or tree.

Good advise but I've seen wood rot in months, not years. Regardless of
time, the rot is not the OP's problem and he has no responsibility for it.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...