Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike

Default please explain this kitchen wiring...

I am doing the finish electrical work on a new kitchen in my house. I
need to get everything working before an inspector reviews my work, and
there is one thing in the kitchen that I am having trouble figuring
out.

There are two outlet circuits in the kitchen. Call them Appliance #1
and Appliance #2. Appliance #1 begins in a box over the counters and
Appliance #2 starts in the next box a few feet away. In both of these
boxes "line" is clearly labeled so I know this is where to put a gfi.
After the gfi boxes the circuits hit alternating boxes, 3 boxes per
circuit. Appliance #1 terminates in a box that has only one wire in.
Nothing complicated here. I have attached all the receptacles for
Appliance #1 and it works fine.

What is odd is Appliance #2. It does not terminate in a box that has
only one wire in it. Furthermore, there is one switch (in a bank of
switches the others of which are lights) and this one switch has two
blacks. One black is energized when Appliance #2 is energized. So, it
is as if Appliance #2 (or some set of boxes on this circuit) is
interrupted by a two way switch.

Does this make sense? Is there a code that says that an outlet
circuit in a kitchen has to have a switch? And how come Appliance #2
does not terminate in a box that has only one wire in it?

Thanks, mh

Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

Statement one: hire an electrician

No boxes should have one wire. A recep requires a hot, a neutral,
and a ground. Typical - black, white, and green.

It is possible to have a receptacle that is controlled by a
switch. There is no requirement to do so, but it is used. Most
often it is used to control table lamps. Often it is used by
switching only half of a receptacle - bottom plug hot, top plug
switched.

I could not follow your description. With the above information,
perhaps you can try again.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

The NEC requires two 20 amp (minimum) circuits for kitchen outlets which can
also be used to feed dining room outlets, but can not be used for lighting.
Assuming when you say "one wire" you mean one cable, is it possible that
there should be an outlet in with the switches? There are a number of
possible reasons for your dilemma, all of which would best be answered by
the person that installed the wiring in the first place

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Vaughan

In article ,
RBM rbm2(remove wrote:
The NEC requires two 20 amp (minimum) circuits for kitchen outlets which can
also be used to feed dining room outlets, but can not be used for lighting.
Assuming when you say "one wire" you mean one cable, is it possible that
there should be an outlet in with the switches? There are a number of
possible reasons for your dilemma, all of which would best be answered by
the person that installed the wiring in the first place

have you checked for boxes below the counters, say for a garbage disposal
under the sink? how about outlets in the cabinets for under cabinet lighting?

"Mike" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net |
| P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

NEC rules doesn't allow under cabinet lighting (except plug in models) or
garbage disposals to be on kitchen small appliance outlet circuit. Which
doesn't make your suggestion wrong or any less valuable as anything is
possible

"Bob Vaughan" wrote in message
In article ,
RBM rbm2(remove wrote:
The NEC requires two 20 amp (minimum) circuits for kitchen outlets which
can
also be used to feed dining room outlets, but can not be used for
lighting.
Assuming when you say "one wire" you mean one cable, is it possible that
there should be an outlet in with the switches? There are a number of
possible reasons for your dilemma, all of which would best be answered by
the person that installed the wiring in the first place

have you checked for boxes below the counters, say for a garbage disposal
under the sink? how about outlets in the cabinets for under cabinet
lighting?

groups.com...